Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:15:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Just joined  (Read 1459 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Just joined
« on: July 31, 2010, 05:47:31 PM »
And a fine Saturday morning (as I write, anyway) to all the fine folk here on Lead Adventure Forum.  I've only recently discovered this place but have explored it enough to consider it worth joining up.  Not sure if I'm up to some of the standards of talent of some here but certainly have the enthusiasm.  And, unless I miss my guess, all levels are welcome here.

As to my related interests, I am a historical miniatures gamer and while I can claim Airfix in the sixties and a few miniatures games in the seventies as early involvement, I really got serious starting in 1986 and I've been building to the joist bending collection I've amassed since.  I - and my house - shudder to think how bad it would be if I were in the larger scales than "the one true scale."   After a few saunters into other scales, I settled well into 15 mm and now have vast numbers of figures and a variety of buildings and terrain suited to that scale.  Just to give a sense of where my interests lie - and so you can judge how well I fit into this 'club' here are the periods I have collections for:

Early Bronze Age (unpainted and possibly being parted with)
Early Imperial Romans (unfinished and unlikely to be finished, not painted)
Viking Era Raiding (partially painted and probably the earliest figures I may keep)

PIRATES (I have 16 ships and tons and tons of figures and this is a Current Project - five different towns and 2 villages planned - part of the joy of 15 mm figures!)
FRENCH AND INDIAN WAR (large numbers of painted figures here)
AMERICAN REVOLUTION (waiting on one order and one small order to place and I expect to be done here and then painting away)

Indian Mutiny (lots of figures but only a small start on painting for this group)
American Civil War (largest number of painted figures but due for a rebasing)
WILD WEST (a recently completed collection - I hope! - and in line behind the pirates for painting - hey, you, there get back in line!  bloody rowdy lot, these guys!)

French Foreign Legion (how did I ever get that many figures for this period!  At least a bunch are painted)
Anglo Egyptian Sudan (um, ditto.  Except they ain't painted yet :-[.)
SLIGHTLY CRACKED COLONIALS (entirely based and primed and started painting - and just to get a sense of how Cracked either the collection - or maybe I am - is, I have a herd of 36 zebras to paint and they are just one of lots of species of plain's dwellers to paint up.  Did someone say Serenghetti (sp?)?  Well, no, it's the HarriedBetty Plains!  lol)

Like most of you, I'll play other periods but those are the ones I've chosen to acquire.  As you can see, I tend to focus mostly on the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.  (Some Boxer Rebellion Chinese have been singing their siren songs in my dreams but then they'd only be a minor addition since I have everything I need for the Europeans in that Slightly Cracked collection, more or less.)

So, in an oversized coconut shell, there's a sense of who I am and where I'm coming from, hobbywise.  Love to see the works of others and once I sort it out, I'll see if I can't post a picture or two some day - do not, I say, do not hold your breath waiting on that one!

And before I go, can someone advise if it is okay to post about a sale of figures for a departed comrade coming up at a convention?  This would not be a 'commercial' sale but an estate sale sort of event.  If allowed, I'll post an extensive sense of what is available and the where and when for those able to make it.

Well, that's it for the moment.  Looking forward to input from all - say, anyone know if anyone makes 15 mm baboons (natural ones, not fantasy types)?  Also looking for vultures (dining out as well as satiated versions) to round out those plains mentioned above.  And my thanks to the Witch-in-chief for creating this playroom.

FifteensAway Casting Off

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
Re: Just joined
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 11:12:01 PM »
Welcome aboard!
It seems you'll fit in quite well :)
per aspera ad astra

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 12:44:35 AM »

Welcome to LAF 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 12:17:37 AM »
Welcome,

maybe put some pictures up?