Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:30:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mantic Games Zombies  (Read 6760 times)

Offline Col. Aubrey Bagshot

• Mad Scientist
  • Remember... something
Re: Mantic Games Zombies
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 11:01:59 AM »
or budget constraints....
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 11:07:59 AM »
Mantic's ghouls look like ... well ghouls or like running "zombies"/infected.

That dawn of the dead remake has a lot to answer for, at least in 28 Days Later the infected were NEVER referred to as zombies at any point and in [REC] (the original spanish one atleast) it was never said either.

Really I don't think these zombies look particularly fast, yes they don't look like stiff planks of wood but they also don't look to me like they are sprinting. Rather they are in the "getting close to prey" phase, when the zombie starts lunging forward and being a bit more determined. This is a characteristic often referred to in books and comics about zombies, a surprising turn of speed compared to their usual aimless wandering gait.

Ach well, everyones got their own opinions on what is and isn't right I'm just happy that these fit well with my own views.
 :)
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 11:26:34 AM »
Rec 2 go`s into more detail about the infected, and has a nice spin and something new in ideas, same sort of headshot, blood and teeth, but i liked what they done..

I also liked the two demons films that came out in the 80`s twoo, the one in the cinema..?

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 11:47:09 AM »
Also a new film coming out called "Dead", set in africa, so you good use these zombies because of the clothing -  trailer looks good

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 03:28:16 PM »
I will be ordering some of these too...  I especially like the hands! :-*  Also the legs make them look like they realised there is a meal nearby and are just rising up to strike! :o

Darkoath

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 03:46:20 PM »
Mantic's ghouls look like ... well ghouls or like running "zombies"/infected.

That dawn of the dead remake has a lot to answer for, at least in 28 Days Later the infected were NEVER referred to as zombies at any point and in [REC] (the original spanish one atleast) it was never said either.

Really I don't think these zombies look particularly fast, yes they don't look like stiff planks of wood but they also don't look to me like they are sprinting. Rather they are in the "getting close to prey" phase, when the zombie starts lunging forward and being a bit more determined. This is a characteristic often referred to in books and comics about zombies, a surprising turn of speed compared to their usual aimless wandering gait.

Ach well, everyones got their own opinions on what is and isn't right I'm just happy that these fit well with my own views.

I think you're right... still I can't understand what makes these yet beautiful miniatures far from the Zs I have in my head. Maybe they look somehow intelligent, yet in an animal way, where instead in "my" zombie standards they should be completely absent-minded. They're craving too hard to get their "brains".
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 04:56:24 PM »
Nice deadheads...plus fantastic value for big zombie non-hero type undead.
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline consectari

• Librarian
  • Rat King
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 05:26:17 PM »
These were designed to mix with the ghouls and the ghouls are fairly compatible with Warlord Games plastic Celts. http://shop.warlordgames.co.uk/celtic-warriors-sprue-b-240-p.asp 

Mix the zeds and the Celts and it's a quick way to give your zeds sweatpants and sports jerseys.  A few of the Celt legs have molded on swords, but these are really easy to clip/shave off.

Not the best clothing options, but usefull if you can't sculpt.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 08:48:44 PM by consectari »
All my best ideas are someone elses

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 06:36:11 PM »
Hmm...that is interesting.

The more similar kits the more kitbashing potential the more fun.

You could put the zombie legs on the Celt torsos. I suppose you'd end up with a unit that looked like it had waded through waist deep acid or been running through fire.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 07:00:13 AM »
These actually make me think 'I am Legend'.

Ghoulish, they are, anyway, with potential. Will be interesting to see the finished product.

Guess they could also be combined with WF zombies, like I've seen with the ghouls.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 11:16:24 AM »
Posted up on my zed thread but thought it might be useful for here too:

Well then here we are again.

Not much of an update, had a little play with plastics and bits from the zed bodyparts freezer:

Mixture of Mantic zeds and ghouls, GW catachans, & a few of those WGF plastic zeds, only the legs generally, (the rest of the minis are really unuseable, very poor) golgo islands legs and bodies and a west wind zotr zed head for good measure ;). Not too sure on the torso length from the Mantic zed mash ups, (little a little long) may well go back in and reduce them a bit. Not bad for an hour or so's work.

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 11:38:26 AM »
Wish I could do something like that in an hour.... I always get caught up in nit-picking about getting some small detail/issue right.... a real curse having that 'perfectionistic' strain. Most often it's really just a matter of getting some progress done, then worry about small imperfections later - some of them might even not show when primed.  :)

Is it a sheet of foam they are placed on, there? First, I thought is was some model tarmac, but then noticed the edge...

Now, I think I should get some zeds out and start cleaning moldlines. Actually, as I'm home from work with a bad case of tendosyvinites in my left foot, I think that is what I'm going to be doing for the next couple of days.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 11:45:02 AM »
Well I did spend about three hours the previous night finding all the bits and blu-tacking them together for fit! :).

Will try to get paint on they soon, updates will be in the main zed thread.

Good luck with the mouldlines, good use of time if you're off your feet, decent film infront of you and you're good to go. Dead snow? ;)

The Commander

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 12:14:52 PM »
Dead snow? ;)

Would be nice if I had that one, heard interesting things about it  - Only real zed movies I own, though, are Resident Evil 2 and 3, and while OK for setting the mood, not something to be watched very often.... To be honest, I never really cared much for the many 'splatter' zed films - what I like about gaming 'zombiecalypse' style is the special feeling of hopelessness for the survivors, without the need for all the blood, guts and brains being spread all over the set (have no problem with making my minis gory to set the mood/style, I'm just not a big fan of 'splatter')

I'll settle for 'Dracula II - the resurrection' this afternoon. While it's probably awful, I never watched it before, and I need to concentrate on the moldlines, anyway  lol