Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:09:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690846
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Making a Viking Ship  (Read 11676 times)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
Making a Viking Ship
« on: August 02, 2010, 12:17:08 PM »
This ship was actually built for a Savage Worlds RPG campaign I'm going to be running very soon, not for a miniature game, but, I figured you guys might like to see it as well.

The link to the full RPG thread is here:  http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=528957 .  I've included the post with the ship below:

28mm scale Viking Ship!

So the players will have a ship.  How else are they going to traverse all those islands and create their saga?

They actually have a Viking Knarr, which isn’t the traditional Drakkar most people think of when they think Viking.  A Knar is smaller and can be run with a much smaller crew of 4-6, and since I have 5 players that works out perfect.

Be forewarned:  The ship I constructed is for miniature role playing purposes.  It’s not 100 percent historically accurate (although he proportions of the cargo bay to the length of the ship are actually fairly accurate), or to scale.  Most Knarr were slightly smaller, and the sail should be larger.  There should be many more riggings and boards and a steering oar (and possibly 3 or 4 sets of oars for some Knarr).  Most importantly, most Drakkar didn’t actually have dragon heads, and a Knarr certainly didn’t…but I thought it would look cooler, so I made mine with one.  So, it is what it is. :)

The coolest thing about this ship is I built it all from scrap I had laying around.  It didn’t cost me one cent that hadn’t already been invested for some other project.

Step One:  Draw a template

This is where most people stop.  In fact, this is the map I was going to use for the ship in the game.  After I drew it I showed it to my wife and asked, “So, should I just use this or make something better?”  Knowing me, she just rolled her eyes and walked away, knowing the answer already.

Step Two:  Cut Some Wood

I actually saw a woodcarver do something similar once, so this wasn’t totally improvised.  I cut a base for the ship and, using the template I made, cut the 3 pieces of wood that would make up the ship.  I cut the thick boards at an angle so when I attached the sides they would bow like a boat.

Step Three:  Carve Some Boards

Using a wood carver, I cut some grooves into the wood to create planks on the ship deck.  The particleboard was a little uncooperative…but, again, it was free.

Step Four:  Glue it Down

No witty commentary here, I just used regular Elmer’s glue to attach it to the base.

Step Five:  Trimmings & Cargo

While the deck was drying, I used a jig saw to cut the stem and stern.  Nothing really fancy, but I did decide to cut the dragon head at the last moment.  I also took some small craft items I had left over from other projects and painted them up to look like barrels and crates for cargo.

Step Six:  The Sail

I made the mast and sail out of some dowels and one of my daughters old T-shirts.  The dowels are from a rummage sale sign that was in the garage, and the T-shirt was in the rummage sale “pile”.  I’ll have to replace the one from the sign before my wife notices…but that T-shirt wasn’t even sellable for a nickel!

I built the mast with glue and wire, and drenched the sail in glue.  The material didn’t work as well as other material would have, but it did the trick.  I left that to dry while I worked on the deck again.

Step 7:  The Ship Gunwales

Gunwales?  I think that’s the proper name for the walls of the Viking ship?  In any case, I was sort of stumped as to how to do this at first.  Hardboard is too rigid, and I don’t like working with balsa at all.  Cardboard is crap. 

In the end I got the brilliant (opinions may differ) idea to use oven dry clay.  After rolling out a strip to the right thickness, I carved some boards into the side (although I should have carved the boards into both sides), put them on, and cut them to the right side…but they didn’t stick to the wood!!  I ended up having to glue them and hold them with various things I had laying around until dry enough to put in the oven and bake!  Yep, I got to bake the ship (again, my wife with the rolling eyes!?)

Step 8:  Assembly

Well, that was really it; all I had to do was glue on the mast and it’s ready to paint.

Step 9:  Paint er Up!

After a quick paint job it’s finished.  I was surprised at how well and fast this whole project went.  It only took one evening (and I had a few C&Cs while building it), and the next morning to finish it up.  If I didn’t have to let glue dry I could have had it finished in the single evening.

I’m really happy with the ship, and I think it’s going to greatly enhance the ship sequences in the game.  Much better than a paper map.

Now hopefully I’ll get my Viking miniatures in the mail soon so I can start painting them before the first game session next week!

Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
Re: Making a Viking Ship
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 04:21:16 PM »
Cool! Looking forward to seeing the crew aboard!
per aspera ad astra

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 05:46:07 PM »
Nice!  :o :o :o

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 07:43:53 PM »
Excellent job, I'm really impressed with that!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 04:03:43 PM »
Very nice indeed. I like the figurehead, looks like an homage to the Osberg ship to me, always a favourite of mine.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 11:05:32 PM »
There is a whole thread on the game I'm using it for here, with lots of pics...if you care:  http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28520&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=5f4aec01c9b3c4cef8ef9c9311f2513d

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 08:15:08 AM »
Warlord are about to release one:

http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=7385
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 11:55:07 AM »
Warlord are about to release one:

http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=7385

THere are tons of places you can buy them, but a couple hours work and a few bucks beats $50+ IMHO  ;).  Of course, opinions may vary.

Offline Torvol

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 06:21:29 PM »
Thank you for posting this.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 11:43:24 PM »
That looks like a cracking adventure you had.
Great work.
I wish I had the time to build scenery for my D&D game every week.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 08:12:02 PM »
Smart! A knarr is probably the best choice. I scaled out how big a drakkar would be a scared myself!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 09:44:41 AM »
Cool. I've not finished reading throught your thread on Pecnic, but have you had a look at Age of Blood?

Some good ideas in that free ruleset as well (also for scenarios and some fantasy elements).  :)

EDIT:
Ah, OK... project closed  lol
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:51:31 AM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Axtklinge

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Really nice job there!
Congrats!

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 01:45:02 PM »
have you had a look at Age of Blood?

I just downloaded it.  I wish I had known about this rule set before I ran the campaign.  I'm really big on taking scenario based miniature games and turning them into role plaing style miniature experiences.  The Savage Worlds rules worked OK for mixing the two elements, but IMHO they don't excell at either.  For this project, a rule set like Age of Blood would have been perfect for what I did.  Oh well, next time  ;)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 01:56:02 PM »
Oh, well, glad to be able to point you at something interesting (if it was me who did so).  :)

I'm set on running a dark age/viking semi-RPG miniatures game myself for a fairly loose group of people (in a way that people can enter and leave the group from time to time without distorting the story), also inspired by Cornwell, and probably starting out somewhere in Britain with some small-scale 'raiding the neighbours and stealing their cattle/women/grain/silver/whatever', while the players get used to the system and slowly acquire fame, wealth, and followers.

Will be some time before I'm ready for it, but I'm definitely going there  ::)