Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:50:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690721
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Splintered Light 15 mm giants - a 28 mm comparison and discussion  (Read 4698 times)

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
The other day I got a package from Splintered Lights, containing all the giants from their 15 mm range. http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/dragonsgiants.html

I knew these were old moulds David had bought, but didn't know from where and which scale they were sculpted for originally. That made me reluctant to placing an order. When David had a 20% sale this summer (negated by import tax in Sweden... arse!) I decided to do some further researching. Found out that they are 28 mm models originally from Metal Magic, but haven't been able to confirm all of them. Please help me! =)

Here are the first three:

From left to right: Mountain Giant #2, Citadel 80s fighter, Mountain Giant #1, Marauder late 80s troll and Chaos Giant.

Mountain Giant #1 and #2 are both Metal Magic sculpts by Josef Ochmann, I think. C1034a Hill Giant with Hammer and C1034b Wood Giant with Club.
It makes sense to assume that the Chaos Giant is MM's C1034c Swamp Giant with Tree Trunk. Can someone confirm this and possibly provide some better reference than SOL's? I'm especially interested in who sculpted these, the Swamp Giant in particular. Painted pics would be nice too, ofcourse.
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/metal-magic/fantasy.html

Next four are the Hill Giants 1-4. Also known as giant trolls in Metal Magic's catalogue. They are very similar to the two larger giants so I guess Ochmann sculpted these too. Can someone confirm this?

Here's a catalogue picture for them, from the above SOL page:

Now I just need to figure out what the hell to use them as, and how to base them. Going by Song of Blades' standards (regular, big and huge) I'm basing all man sized (and smaller) models on ~25mm washers, while Big stuff like Ogres, Trolls, Minotaurs and so forth are on larger washers about 40mm wide. I guess the Giants will count as Huge and be mounted on a base even larger. What I'll do with the "giant trolls" I don't know. They don't really fit on the 40mm bases, but should probably not be counted as huge. I'll see if I can squeeze two on 40mm washers and use them as Giant Trolls - still "Big", but a bit meaner.

You other SBH players, what size base are you using for Huge models? Square or round?
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Erny

• Scientist
    • Erny's Place.
Re: Splintered Light 15 mm giants - a 28 mm comparison and discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 10:55:29 AM »
Some of those are very nice indeed, sometimes I think small giants are so much better the other world giant is great but perhaps too big. I've been thinking about getting some of the animals from splintered light and a big package with these could be a good combined postage...

Other than your regular troll size gw bases I don't have large standards for SOBH big is big, use what looks right for the model I guess after a certain size you'll run out of enemy models to pack round before you run out of space.

As to better pictures or identification I can't help you I'm a citadel, marauder and grenadier nut.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 11:11:03 AM »
Nice seeing you around Erny, been a while!

Some of those are very nice indeed, sometimes I think small giants are so much better the other world giant is great but perhaps too big. I've been thinking about getting some of the animals from splintered light and a big package with these could be a good combined postage...
I can recommend these. Especially fond of the Giant Troll leaning on his club/trunk! I got the jabberwocky and the wyvern in the same package too, and the wyvern was bloody massive AND they're pretty cheap. 10 bucks a pop for the giant trolls, and 12,50 for the giants. Agree with the giant size, btw... Something three times the height of a man is enough of a giant for me. Larger than that and it feels a bit too much for skirmish games. =)

Regarding animals, do you mean the anthropomorphic animals of the Splintered Lands line? They work pretty well with 28 mm, as small creatures. Fantastic models!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 11:27:56 AM by phreedh »

Offline Erny

• Scientist
    • Erny's Place.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 03:55:41 PM »
I've been super busy at work and home extending and remodeling the back of the house. Most of my lead is stored at my brothers or in-laws at the moment so I've had little to say and even less time to say it. I try to drop in now and then though.

Nice to see everyone's projects progressing though.

As to the lead, yes I do mean the anthropomorphic animals 15mm but look great for 28mm as you said. Bob Olleys to boot. And 10 bucks is about £6.32!

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 07:17:11 PM »
And 10 bucks is about £6.32!
Not sure if you're agreeing that it's fairly cheap or actually quite expensive - but here's a little something for perspective:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat500024a&prodId=prod1690009

8... quid. =D

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 10:04:17 AM »
I knew these were old moulds David had bought, but didn't know from where and which scale they were sculpted for originally. That made me reluctant to placing an order. When David had a 20% sale this summer (negated by import tax in Sweden... arse!) I decided to do some further researching. Found out that they are 28 mm models originally from Metal Magic, but haven't been able to confirm all of them. Please help me! =)

Ask here:
http://www.metalmagic.de/portal.php

You should be able to get all the info you want.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 10:56:57 AM »
You should be able to get all the info you want.
Cheers WK, I'll brush up on my german skills. =)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 11:12:28 AM »
I tend to post there in English without too much problem.