Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:22:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Highwayman, Smuggling, Rebels & Piracy in Colonial America 1750-65  (Read 9683 times)

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Highwayman, Smuggling, Rebels & Piracy in Colonial America 1750-65
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 07:25:40 AM »
I love it when someone else has done the spadework  lol
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
S.I.
An interesting alternative would be the Loomis Gang also known as the "Nine Mile Swamp Gang" that operated out of upstate NY in the 19th century. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loomis_Gang
I know that its a century later than the time period you are interested in.  When I worked as an archaeologist in upstate NY it seemed this gang appeared in just about every mid-state county history.  They sortied out of their area sometimes traveling on the new fangeled canals and raided throughout the region.  In one account I read the gang stabeled their horses in the town church and started raiding pretty much every house in town and then escaped to their swamp retreat probably via the canals.  I'm sure that the authorities got no cooperation from the folks along the canal either as they were damn rough with every other house along the way a tavern or a house of ill repute and canal men being having a rep as the roughest of the rough.
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 10:43:01 AM »
S.I.
An interesting alternative would be the Loomis Gang also known as the "Nine Mile Swamp Gang" that operated out of upstate NY in the 19th century. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loomis_Gang
I know that its a century later than the time period you are interested in.  When I worked as an archaeologist in upstate NY it seemed this gang appeared in just about every mid-state county history.  They sortied out of their area sometimes traveling on the new fangeled canals and raided throughout the region.  In one account I read the gang stabeled their horses in the town church and started raiding pretty much every house in town and then escaped to their swamp retreat probably via the canals.  I'm sure that the authorities got no cooperation from the folks along the canal either as they were damn rough with every other house along the way a tavern or a house of ill repute and canal men being having a rep as the roughest of the rough.
LB

Interesting stuff but as you say, too late for me. I want to use the Galloping Major's F&IW Provincials and Settlers. Smugglers perhaps then?