Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:19:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690504
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Return to the Valley that Time Forgot II: the complete campaign  (Read 20818 times)

Offline Tsune

• Scientist
Hi,

This week we played the first part of the new campaign: Return to the Valley that time forgot II: Benito's revenge.

It continues the last campaign, Return to the Valley that time forgot: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=3967.0.

The campaign has four scenarios, and we played the first two. Probably we end it next week, if our wives allow it!

The last campaign ended without accomplish the objectives of coming back to civilization with enough proofs of the existence of dinosaurs and the Valley. So, the idea of the new campaign is that, once back in home, they have an impact in the social media but not in the academic circles. Trying to start a new and final expedition turns out to be difficult, as nobody wants to risk their money, until the news that, in the old continent, a private expedition wants to catch all the glory for themselves and then, moved for national pride, some private investors and newspapers finance the american expedition  lol.

Nevertheless, from the beginning they meet many difficulties since someone is sabotaging his plans, bribing his suppliers and putting difficulties to their advance, and always behind it there appears the hand of such a Prof. O.B., the leader of the rival expedition. Regardless, thank to their previous experience, they manage to cut distance and catch the rival expedition in the last village before get into the Lost Valley.

We played with the .45 rules, by the way.

Scenario 1: The infamous Prof. Beef

The first scenario happens in a little river village. There, the heroes (a big game hunter, a industrialist, a professor, an ace reporter and an secondary actor) find that the boat they hired has been contracted by the mysterious Prof. O.B., as they have arrived one week later that the stipulated date. So, the rival expedition has a boat and they have not, but there is a small boat that could do the job in the pier. The problem, the boat captain says, is that the boat is going to depart river up as soon as the workers finalize to load the cargo. If the boat owner, Her Straatman, agrees to carry them, he will be willing to accompany them in their adventure.

So, the scenario objectives are three:
-Find the infamous  Prof. O.B. out, know about his expedition and tell him that this is a gentlemen game, and so they expect from now.
-Meet Her Straatman and convince him to hire his boat.
-Find some food and arms and ammunition suppliers for the expedition into the Valley.

Here you can see the scenario board:

At the center there are seven workers with the load. As soon as 14 loads are carried into the boat, the scenario end and the heroes lose (in the practice, a total of 14 worker trips from the center to the boat). There are 14 markers on the board too, representing possible events.

A picture of the center of the village:

And, in the down-left corner, there are some captured animals waiting to be sold to some European zoos:

And they are worth seeing even to the native people:

The heroes rush to the markers. Soon, the Professor meets Mahmut Medina and his monkey Pico, who belongs to the rival expedition. Mahmut jokes the hero and says that they are no rivals enough to Prof. Osborne Beef, the leader of his expedition. Then, send Pico to spy the heroes.

On the other hand, the big game hunter meets another rival, O’Brannigan. Soon they have a confrontation and the hero bites the dust. But Ms. Lovelace, the nice paleontologist hired by Prof. Beef, stops the fight and ask for pardon for the behavior of her companion, and wish them luck. The hunter offers her a position in his expedition, but she rejects saying that she has to respect her contract.

At the same time, the ace reporter is called from a figure hiding in the shadows. He is Tarzan, who asks them for help to free the animals. There are some guards and he has to calm the animals down and guide them to the jungle.

It could be a good idea, when the industrialist finds Her Straatman and it is not possible to persuade him. He is going to sell the animals for a big amount of money next week, so he does not need to hire his boat. Perhaps, if the animals are lost…

At the opposite side of the board, the actor finally finds the infamous Prof. Osborne Beef and his enforcer Panayotas Karimakis, but he is so impressed that cowardly is not able to say nothing (with the corresponding booing of the players). But they have now meet all the members of the rival expedition and know who they are.

At the top of the board, there is a fierce competition for the markers: the professor vs. Pico. But the monkey is too fast and steals them two vital markers. The professor, angry, tries to punch Pico and makes him some bruises. In revenge, Pico throws him some poo and impact him in the face (hurrahs! from the other players, who were saying the player gaming the prof. that he has to run to the markers instead to fight with Pico).

But the game seems controlled as the hunter creates confusion with the workers not letting to pass. When the foreman appears, an “involuntary” movement and he is thrown to the river. The confusion gives the other heroes more time to accomplice their objectives.

With this extra time, the heroes start to work as a team. The reporter lures the guard off the cages with the excuse of making him an interview, while the industrialist, in the background, starts to open the cages and free the animals.

When Her Straatman finds out that he has no animal to sell, agree with the hunter to hire his boat.

It seems that the heroes are going to win, when something unforeseen happens. The prof. hero continues to be angry with Pico, and Mahmut sees an opportunity to impede the success. He starts to cry that the prof. is ill-treating animals and boys, and soon a multitude circles them. Pico, well trained, goes prone and crawl to cause great a great effect. The players knew that if they cause too much trouble, they could be arrested and then lost the game (as they could be delayed one or two days).  The reporter, a charismatic gut, tries to persuade the law that it has been nothing, but Prof. Beef mesmerize him and so become “invisible” to all. Without help, is the hero word vs. Mahmut’s, and the victory is going to be decided by a dice. But do you remember that Pico thrown some poo to the hero’s face?  Yes, and it gives him a -2 to the BR test! The dice are rolled and… the player wins!! The official is convinced that nothing serious has happened and it is a victory to the heroes. Well done!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 07:13:02 PM by Tsune »

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
WOW!

We want to see the return of Benito.

Mmmm... Where is he?

;D

Thanks for posting this amzing rep, with beautiful minis and such splendid scenery.

Waiting to read more, please.

Best wishes.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
This looks very much the shit. Bravo!

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
A fekking great report!
Marked this one to my favourites just to ste... Borrow ideas ;)

Offline Photographer

• Mad Scientist
    • Double 0 Sven
Love it! Love the beasts and everything else!
Secret Agent KKBB Blog

http://double0sven.blogspot.com/

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
fantastic, looks and story are excellent :)
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Tsune

• Scientist
Thank you for your kind words.

And Benito appears in the third scenario  ;D.

Scenario 2: The hunt for proofs.

This scenario was planned to let the players think that they can accomplish their main objective of taking proofs of the Valley existence, but in reality is an interlude to the last two scenarios, to debilitate them when the plot gives an unexpected turn and the action and havoc break!

So, as they won the first scenario, they have 10 turns to explore the land, plus one turn for each point of food they bought at the village. There were two event decks. The first one counting the game turns and in each card was described some generic event: drum sounds in the air, ammunition or food in bad condition, fever, etc. some of the ideas stolen from one LAF discussion about possible events in an African expedition. They have some fixed events, as the plot demands it.

The second deck was for the markers in the board, and the cards were aids, traps or some unexpected events.

Also there was a spawn point where some dinosaurs could appear.

The objective is simple: to collect proofs.

Here you can see a picture of the board:

And a close up of the pteradons:

The players split in two teams. The first one soon finds ruins of an ancient civilization there were unaware of. But some hieroglyphs warn about certain dangers:

Also, the industrialist finds an ancient amulet, but it is close to a nest of little dinosaurs. The dinosaurs are very aggressive and the hero is in great trouble and gets some injures before, with the inestimable help of the hunter, kill them.

The second team finds a protoceratops and he can be an irrefutable proof (I painted it in the morning and I had no time to base it...).

But to make the thing more difficult, they have to prove their skill. I gave them a little rope and had to capture de protoceratops with it! After some training throws, the player gaming the reporter, who was the one who found the dinosaur, throws the rope and have success in his first attempt!!!! (this feat was accompanied with hurrahs, cheers and cries from the players, all of us more than 30’s… lol).

But in the meantime, something horrible happens! A plesiosaurus attacks the anchored boat, and sinks it, and eats two porters!!! The players will have to find another way to exit the Valley (as was expected, obviously  ::)). But they never would know it… (we forget to take a picture… sorry).

On the other side of the board, the first team has more problems, as the professor is ambushed by three velociraptors. The cracking shots of the hunter save the day one more time, but not after being badly injured.

And the hunter gets his reward in the form of some dinosaur eggs!

At this moment, the two teams join together only to find the bloody remains of the Prof. Osborne camp!! When they are discussing if they had to rescue them (mainly the nice paleontologist) or not, they feel someone is watching them and, suddenly, they found themselves surrounded by dozens of warriors!! This was a fixed event that ended the scenario.

The scenario ended with the heroes captured, and the plot will continue in the third part: God saves King Benito!

Lastly, a picture of some of the cards we used and the gaming table:

Thank you!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:42:50 PM by Tsune »

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
AWESOME!

Pal, your minis and scenery are superb, and your storytelling is just great.

Seems like a lot of fun, action and drama.

Waiting to see part 3.

By the way, lookimg the last pic, and with the cards and notes you use, it seems you speak spanish.

¿Dónde estás? ¿En España o en América? ¿Tienes un blog?

En fin, te felicito y todos esperamos la continuación de estas aventuras.  :D

Best wishes.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
But to make the thing more difficult, they have to prove their skill. I gave them a little rope and had to capture de protoceratops with it! After some training throws, the player gaming the reporter, who was the one who found the dinosaur, throws the rope and have success in his first attempt!!!! (this feat was accompanied with hurrahs, cheers and cries from the players, all of us more than 30’s… lol).

Splendid!  I can't imagine that I'd ever have roped it!
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
All very cool

story building very nicely

I like it

dodge

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Nice pair of linked scenarios, can't wait to see the rest!

I recognize a number of those dinosaurs - the awesome partially-out-of-production HLBS range! I have a lot of the same critters, but haven't done anything nearly this cool with them yet!

I like the colourful crests on the pterosaurs, I think mine need more colour now...

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
Great Stuff!! a great source of ideas indeed!
waiting for more!

AWESOME!
En españa supongo, en la primera foto aparece un vaso regalo de pans & company

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
I allways love the first campaign you are played and so I am happy you did a new one.
thanks a lot

cheers Grmm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Great story, board, firgures etc, etc etc.
All good stuff
Looking forward to the next installment.
Like the rope idea too. May steal that idea in the future. It could lead to a lot of fun.
Thanks

Offline Tsune

• Scientist

I recognize a number of those dinosaurs - the awesome partially-out-of-production HLBS range! I have a lot of the same critters, but haven't done anything nearly this cool with them yet!

I like the colourful crests on the pterosaurs, I think mine need more colour now...

Yes, they are the HBLS ones, altough I buy them from Copplestone two Salutes ago. Beautiful minis. I was to paint them plain brown, but found a picture in google with these colours and I liked them. I am happy with the final result.

Splendid!  I can't imagine that I'd ever have roped it!

lol I thought that it could be more difficult, but was at the first attempt. On the other hand, I thought they cheated somehow... ::)

A fekking great report!
Marked this one to my favourites just to ste... Borrow ideas ;)

Thanks! I am glad you like it and you can borrow all the ideas you want. Or steal them if you prefer (it's pulp afterall)  ;)

By the way, lookimg the last pic, and with the cards and notes you use, it seems you speak spanish.

Thank you! I am from Spain (in Mallorca). I have not a blog yet, but I am working with my brother in a fantasy project and he is posting some  sketches at his blog (http://mundotrapo.blogspot.com/), and curiously, we spoken to post the pulp projects there too in the future.

Gracias  ;)

I allways love the first campaign you are played and so I am happy you did a new one.
thanks a lot

cheers Grmm

Thank you vey much, Grimm. In fact, this is an improvised campaign as I am building a more ambitious project (the mask of Glaaki), but as I need to do something at short term but using the things I was building to force myself to continue, if it makes sense...