Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:52:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ford Armoured Car  (Read 6116 times)

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
Ford Armoured Car
« on: August 08, 2010, 08:57:08 AM »
Hi Guys
I am in the process of building up a new BOB White Russian Army.
I looked at the Brigade Games Site,and ordered some nice bits and pieces Including a Company B Ford Armoured Car,because of how cute it is,((It all was dispatched in world  record time Thanks Lon.)
This was however a Big Mistake,actually in hindsight a very very small mistake.....
The model is tiny ,I dont mean a bit off scale, I mean virtually unuseable.
Now before I get some Tech nerd posting the measurements of said Vechicle ,it was not only the Vechicle but the crew as well.
The crewman is a small 20mm figure and placed against a copplestone ,or brigade looks like he is a 6 year old serving the Maxim gun.
Added to this is the model has a million unecesseary  very fiddly parts to it...nice.
This is a bit disapointing to say the least,are all company B models this small??
If you are using 28mm figures save your money and time,believe me.
This model will be going back me thinks.
So for a rating out of ten,( ten being the highest) i give it a  '1'
Cheers

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Ford Armoured Car
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:25:59 AM »
I've not seen the model in question but it is true that the original was a very small vehicle. If you are talking about the turreted version, then that only saw service with the Poles. Of the armoured pick up truck type there were only 2 IIRC and at least one of those appears to have been captured or inherited by the Bolsheviks. Better off looking for an Austin or a Garford.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 01:16:40 PM »
The Ford was very tiny, just remember it's based on a Ford T. Just take a look at this pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7700258@N05/936794219/in/set-72157601074585097/

The Mark V on the other side was a giant. Look here: http://www.landships.freeservers.com/jpegs_new/number_14/mk5_722.jpg
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 01:51:57 PM »
Hi Poliorketes
I see what you mean,it is a small vechicle,however the model  really is small and I think the Really Tiny gunner who is a 20mm figure ,makes it look worse.
Cheers

Offline Bungle

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 02:53:29 PM »
Ford Model T was 99" between wheel centres..... IIRC

thats 39mm at 1/64

or 45mm at 1/56

or 52mm at 1/48

I think the real thing is pretty tiny

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 11:33:23 PM »
The model T was a small vehicle in real life.  As for the scale, references were from a 1/35 scale and 1/72 scale (20mm) model, so the problem in part is that there is a general perception sometimes that vehicles are larger than they are in real life.  Nothing wrong with that...  I use 1/43 police cars in games because they look cool and provide cover for figures on large bases. 

The crew specifically for that model are 25mm.  That has to do with them being based on pre-existing figures sculpted by Eureka Miniatures for another of their own RCW projects.  You can easily sub in a gunner from another manufacturer.  The model T drivers on the other hand are sculpted by Mike Owen and are 28mm.  So different sculptor, different scales followed to accomplish a specific task/order.

VonAkers, if you send me your address I'll send you one of our Model T crewman sculpted by Mike Owen.  He's a brit with a cap, so he'll fit in with a white army pretty well.  He can be easily converted to fire an HMG with a proper seat.  Save that included crewman and stick him inside something where you just need to see his head through a windscreen, and the size won't be as big as an issue.

Offline moif

• Scientist
    • JRC-1138
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 11:40:30 PM »
I made the exact same mistake. I judged the image on the web shop by the size of the machine gunner and when they arrived I found the gunner was about as big as a child by comparison to my other figures. I was very disapointed. I also bought a Morris truck with similar results. It would have been nice had they included some size info.

I built the Morris but I seldom use it. The two tiny Fords are still in pieces, but I have an idea that at some point I'll try to convert them into Dwarven off road technicals   
Expert in ancient artefacts, occult civilisations and phoney baloney technobabble!

Offline koz10

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 12:34:13 AM »
Hi Guys
I am in the process of building up a new BOB White Russian Army.
I looked at the Brigade Games Site,and ordered some nice bits and pieces Including a Company B Ford Armoured Car,because of how cute it is,((It all was dispatched in world  record time Thanks Lon.)
This was however a Big Mistake,actually in hindsight a very very small mistake.....
The model is tiny ,I dont mean a bit off scale, I mean virtually unuseable.
Now before I get some Tech nerd posting the measurements of said Vechicle ,it was not only the Vechicle but the crew as well.
The crewman is a small 20mm figure and placed against a copplestone ,or brigade looks like he is a 6 year old serving the Maxim gun.
Added to this is the model has a million unecesseary  very fiddly parts to it...nice.
This is a bit disapointing to say the least,are all company B models this small??
If you are using 28mm figures save your money and time,believe me.
This model will be going back me thinks.
So for a rating out of ten,( ten being the highest) i give it a  '1'
Cheers

You are mistaken. I thought this at first when I saw the model until I saw actual pictures on line - the vehicle was indeed small. When I viewed photos of the time for the one used in Poland, an adult male towered over the car - it was rather enlightening. The sizes are actually appropriate for 1/56th scale.

I've gotten to use mine several times in wargames. Can't wait to run a "Miracle on the Wistula" scenario with them!

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 08:42:38 PM »
Hotwheels T-ford are usually in scale, and they're tiny. google 'T-ford' or 'hotrod' for reference.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline koz10

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 07:01:59 PM »
Regarding the size and scale of Ford Armored Cars, in particular, the Polish Armored Car - take a look at the Museum of the Polish Army website (http://www.muzeumwp.pl/) and look in the Gallerie. The translated website is below:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=http://www.muzeumwp.pl/&ei=J5W4TOGaGIG4sQPVoc2mDw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCIQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3DMuzeum%2BWojska%2BPolskiego%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26prmd%3Dmc

You'll see how tiny this vehicle really is. And I realize now that I might not have wanted to paint a shade of gray as a part of the camo scheme...

Offline duhamel

• Mastermind
  • voyageur
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 11:15:40 AM »
if that can help get an idea about the size of the vehicle  ;)

“Le courage consiste à avoir peur mais à continuer tout de même.”

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" The courage consists in being afraid but in continuing all the same. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline David

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 09:52:17 AM »
here some pictures

i have ordered one so i hope it not too small
David

Offline koz10

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 12:56:12 AM »
here some pictures

i have ordered one so i hope it not too small
David

I thought the same thing when I first got mine (I have two!) - I thought it was out of scale tiny until I saw this picture. It's an armored car of the 1920s not the 1930s and 40s. It was small, however, when it's on the gaming table with my Copplestone figs (and my Jeffrey Poplavko) they look perfect. Not everything is a Tiger II.

Get the car painted and on the table and you'll be very pleased.