Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:23:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm USMC with WIP  (Read 8771 times)

Offline dsmith

• Scientist
28mm USMC with WIP
« on: August 12, 2010, 08:35:05 PM »
Here is my first attempt at digital camo with out using the salt technique hope you like

Thanks for looking and this has to be a record for me 2 post in 1 day ;).
D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 10:47:14 PM by dsmith »

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
Re: 28mm USMC
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 10:54:27 PM »
I like your digital camo.  Very subtle looking.  Who makes these mini's?

Offline dsmith

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 11:12:10 PM »
DFlynSqrl, the 2 figures on the right are from Eureka's USMC recon, the other is from Empress.Thanks for the compliment I really went for a muted look with these guys, but painting the DCU's are slow going I may have to use my vision plan after all.
D

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 01:17:28 AM »
Nice work. Gorgeous figures are't they? I've a platoon's worth of the Eureka force recon, still have a team to finish in the desert version of Marpat and soem of the new empress figures are, hopefully somewhere in the postal system.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline dsmith

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 05:12:03 PM »
Carlos , yes the eureka figures are very nice and all I can say is that Kosta's sculpts are a real joy to paint and I look forward to more moderns from him :)  as for the Empress miniatures the are also wonderfully cast and some of the best figures out there by far any ideas as to who their sculptor is? Hope they get to you soon post up finished pictures when you can of your USMC recon.
D

Offline postal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 06:08:02 PM »
very nice

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 06:30:23 PM »
 :-* :-* :-* share how you did it they are amazing, I have been a bit frightened to try and now could be even more :D

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 06:48:05 PM »
I really like how your camouflage got done :)
By Salt technique you mean hairspray, sprinkling of salt, airbrush and then taking away the salt with a wet brush?
Thanks for posting!

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 07:55:19 PM »
Very nice work, done some beautiful figures justice there.

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 09:36:39 PM »
DFlynSqrl, the 2 figures on the right are from Eureka's USMC recon, the other is from Empress.Thanks for the compliment I really went for a muted look with these guys, but painting the DCU's are slow going I may have to use my vision plan after all.
D

Thanks for the info.  They are some great looking mini's and your painting shows it.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 02:51:42 AM »
Carlos , yes the eureka figures are very nice and all I can say is that Kosta's sculpts are a real joy to paint and I look forward to more moderns from him :)  as for the Empress miniatures the are also wonderfully cast and some of the best figures out there by far any ideas as to who their sculptor is? Hope they get to you soon post up finished pictures when you can of your USMC recon.
D

I've just seen the forthcoming Rhodesians from Eureka. Excellent sculpts, fortunately I have little or no use for them.

Some of my Eureka Force Recon  Marines are featured on the Eureka website. Since then I've done a few conversions, removing the radio from a SAW gunner and giving him a rolled up sleeping mat atop his backpack. Platoon medics  are armed with the Minim apparentlyi. I've also done one or two head swaps and swapped over the various optical sights on a few weapons. If you look in the Eureka German KSK range, you'll find that there's a standing sniper in a boonie hat with a bolt action sniper rifle. He makes a good start point for a conversion, so I now have a choice of sniper teams.  :)

Will get around to the desert Marpat versions after I knock over a few more French, African militia and Colombian drug dealers.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 06:59:16 AM by carlos marighela »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 02:55:09 AM »
Oh BTW if you are looking for more conversion options, beyond weapons, heads and paint schemes, Eureka now sell a range of web gear to dress up their Foreign Legion figures. The pack includes chest rigs and these can be used on the USMC figures too.

Portuguese for the 1960s and '70s coming in the future..... :D

Offline dsmith

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 05:47:38 PM »
Thanks all again for the kind words :) really appreciate them. Silvrsix the answer to your question is yes hairspray + salt then water and wipe I got fairly decent results on 40mm USMC and some of my russians from HLBS , but felt that the smaller details of the 28mm 's would'nt get the same reults so handpainting it is o_o.
Carlos with out giving away any secrets  if you could please tell me how are the Rhodesians kited out SLR's and shorts? the conversions sound great can't wait to see them have'nt brought my self to cutting these up yet , but might get another set and add the Empress heads with googles when they are released , which set of the USMC is yours on the site? 2 different posts there either way both served as inspiration to my stuff.
The african bush has'nt really appealed to me either , but I will get these sets just to paint the various camouflages that these wars represented and they would lend them selves to ambush alley nicely I think as most were small unit actions besides it gives me a reason to make some acacia trees ;D
Thanks all
D.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 12:07:00 AM »
Carlos with out giving away any secrets  if you could please tell me how are the Rhodesians kited out SLR's and shorts?

In a word... they are bloody gorgeous. Five or six figures, one in bush hat with a GPMG, swathed with belted ammo. Mix of patrolling chaps in the Rhodesian c#nt cap, bush hat and bareheads. There's even a bearded squatting figure, obviously in teh act of tracking an enemies spoor, pointing at some signal of their movement. I've seen the photo this was based on and the likeness and attention to detail is almost scary.

(Edited for typos)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 07:49:25 AM by carlos marighela »

Offline dsmith

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 01:44:26 AM »
Thanks for the heads up I have to paint these , I will now add them to the must haves ;) they sound fantastic any ideas of a release date?
D