Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:09:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690853
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My 15mm Last of the Mohicans Characters.  (Read 7517 times)

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
My 15mm Last of the Mohicans Characters.
« on: August 14, 2010, 08:52:31 AM »
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I finally finished off my 15mm conversions of the characters from the Last of the Mohicans.

I'm reasonably pleased with them, though the paint work looks a bit crap in the photos. A few of the more obvious blemished I've gone back and touched up.

I've had Hawkeye, Chingachgook, Magua and David Gamut/Preacher done for a while but the others have been in the to do pile. I may add Colonel Monroe at a later date.

Besides David Gamut, which I plan to use as a preacher when he's not David Gamut, all were painted using the 1992 film as a he painting guide.

Cheers,

Barry
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: My 15mm Last of the Mohicans Characters.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 09:19:25 AM »
Very nice Barry.  And to think they are 15mm.   8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 09:43:03 AM »
Thanks mate.

I noticed that Magua's arms look a litle 'wonky', after I posted the pic. I hadn't noticed it befor but it's fixed now  :D

The amount of times I think I've finished something only to photograph it and notice that I forgot or have overooked something  ::)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 10:09:43 AM »
Great stuff. Didn't know there are more or less specific models of this scale on the market. May I ask: what's your idea behind going for 15mm single based miniatures?
I've thought about it as an option for limited space and fielding realistically big units in skirmishes. But then it seems too fiddly for my stubby fingers.

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 11:30:31 AM »
Thanks. It's surprising what is out there in 15mm and more seems to be coming onto the market all the time. I enjoy converting miniatures so if there is a miniature I need I'll try and convert it.

The main reason I went with single based 15mm miniatures is that I have limited funds and space. Due to ever increasing time limitations, I have also pretty much decided to stick with games which require small numbers of miniatures such as skirmish games like Brother Against Brother, Songs of Blades and Heroes, etc and DBA and HotT. However, I do like seeing photos of games with lot's of figures on the table.

I have been very tempted to move up to 25/28mm from time to time but most of my terrain is designed for 15mm and I still don't have the space. It's even harder to resist when you see the wonderful miniatures on offer from Conquest, Galloping Major and others.

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 02:54:54 PM »
Very nice!

Luckyjoe

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 04:30:08 PM »
Barry,

Cool work, really like Magua the best and the major's cool.  Maybe after you get your hands on some of the new Blue Moon range for this period you might find yourself redoing Cora and Alice - fine figures as they are now but I think there are better alternatives available now.  But maybe being in South Australia has limited your options a bit.  Definitely should add Colonel Munroe.

Love this period.

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 03:05:37 AM »
Barry,

Cool work, really like Magua the best and the major's cool.  Maybe after you get your hands on some of the new Blue Moon range for this period you might find yourself redoing Cora and Alice - fine figures as they are now but I think there are better alternatives available now.  But maybe being in South Australia has limited your options a bit.  Definitely should add Colonel Munroe.

Love this period.

Thanks. Alice and Cora were started quite some time ago, well before the offerings from Blue Moon, which look great. I also like the Civilians in the Pirate range and I think they would be useful addition to the F&IW civillians.

Many years ago being in South Australia would have limited my options but with the internet. It has more to do with my budget lol

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 11:34:47 AM »
Lovely work, great job.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 09:52:10 PM »
Ive always fancied FIW in 15mm but never thought that there was much in the way of buildings available. Is there?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 01:22:53 AM »
swiftnick,

There were some offerings prior to Blue Moon Manufacturing's recent entries.  They've raised the bar - and for you high jumpers we're talking from the 3'-4' range to the 6'-7' range.  First time I've seen anyone make eastern woodland type structures in 15 mm, and not one but two different forts.  Plus lots else to go with their figures which are still being released, or were last I looked.

And, for the record, I have no affiliation other than as a customer.  "hecka"-cool (may it NOT get in the dictionary, please!)

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 02:46:51 AM »
A mate of mine recently bought quite a few of the Blue Moon buildings and was pretty impressed with them. As FifteensAway mentioned, they produce quite an extensive range. The only other company that I'm aware of who produce a Eastern Woodland Longhouse in 15mm is Acheson Creations. I tend to build my own now due mainly to the fact that these weren’t around at the time I wanted a village. What was helpful was a couple of excellent articles in a couple of past issue Wargames Illustrated by Herb Gundt, creator of the Longhouses sold by Conquest Miniatures.

I'm currently building a modular fort for the same friend in the US who also owns an Indian Village, and various other buildings I've made, including a model of Fort Necessity. Thanks to SI's Sloop thread I've tracked down some 15mm swivel guns to add to it, well, send them onto him :D

There are some photos of my stuff at the following link if you bored and want to have a look: http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/15mm%20FIW/

Be sure to check out companies producing American Civil War buildings which is where you'll find most suitable models, especially if you go for the more rustic ones.

I also like your username swiftnick :D
I finally finished watching my copy of the Dick Turpin series over the weekend. A little corney but great fun! It did prompt me to finish my 15mm Hallmark – Dick Turpin at the Crossroads vignette I’ve had on my painting desk for over a year  ::)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 06:14:10 AM »
Barry,

Just mucked about in your "photobucket" and recognized a lot of figures.  I've got about 800 figures painted for the French and Indian War in 15 mm.  Loved the blockhouse, especially the small details, very cool.  Lots of cool things. 

But what got my juices going?  Those deer!  Are they in 15 mm and if they are, where did you get them?  I've been using some model railroad deer but they just aren't quite as right as I want.  The only ones I know of are from MY Miniatures.

Love to know where you got those critters, for real!

Oh, the 800 can be "blamed" on Mr. Protz's Drums Along the Mohawk, the rules, with some help from Habitants and Highlanders.  My units are three companies of 12 figures plus a command group with a mounted and dismounted "colonel" except in those cases where they wouldn't be mounted generally, like light infantry.

The deer!  If you please, sir.

FifteensAway - tying up at your dock.

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 07:16:44 AM »
Thanks. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit. My next blockhouse will have a bit of an over hanging top section which I feel is more historically correct, not that I’m overly anal about such things.

The Deer are HO Scale by Model Power and come in a pack of 7 with a couple of doe’s and fawns. They are a little on the large side and was great amusement for my wife when we played our last game, “Watch out for the giant DEER!”
Here’s a link to the ones in question:  http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/mdp/mdp5734.htm

The only reason I picked these particular deer up was that they were the cheapest on offer at the time and I wasn’t sure if they’d look any good. There are a lot of model railroad companies who make wildlife including Faller and Woodland Scenics and I may pick up a couple of other packs as I quite enjoy painting the animals for something a little different.

As for the other animals, the smaller creatures are by Busch, whilst the bear and eagles are 10mm miniatures by Games Workshop game Battle Of The Five Armies.

My friend uses ‘Drums Along the Mohawk’ and is also a big fan of the period. I have Habitants and Highlanders but I doubt I will ever use them for gaming as I tend to stick to skirmish games, when I get the chance to play.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 01:50:28 PM »
Those conversions are brilliant Barry, and great paint jobs too.  8)

I've missed out on this thread til now, probably mostly because I stay away from most posts mentioning 15mm, cos I have a load of 15mm F&IW tucked away somewhere that I never got round to painting and now probably never will  ;)

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com