Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:05:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: DIY force field barriers?  (Read 5135 times)

Offline tjantzen

• Bookworm
DIY force field barriers?
« on: August 15, 2010, 12:09:01 PM »
Hi ya all!
I am looking for inspiration for creating some force field barriers. I have clear plexi glass cut into walls but I am lacking ideas to make them look like active force fields. Can any one help with tips, pictures or links?
thanks in advance

regards
Thomas
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 01:07:41 PM by tjantzen »

Offline Crayne

• Student
  • When there is no more room in hell...
Re: DIY force field barriers?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 12:46:51 PM »
Perhaps it would look more active if you slowly warm it up and then make some waves in it, or dimples where objects have impacted it. Perhaps even (using a thin plexiglass rod) a bullet bouncing off, or even a hail of bullets...

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 05:24:14 PM »
Hi ya all!
I am looking for inspiration for creating some force field barriers. I have clear plexi glass cut into walls but I am lacking ideas to make them look like active force fields. Can any one help with tips, pictures or links?
thanks in advance

regards
Thomas

use coloured acrylic and mount leds into the supporting concrete/metal supports?
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 02:47:04 PM »
Hi ya all!
thanks in advance

regards
Thomas

Quantum Gothic make some nice resin terrain pylons that are supposed to be forcefield pylons. I'm working on a review which will include them at the moment too.

http://www.quantumgothic.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=59

There's the link to them direct from Quantum Gothic

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 09:55:01 PM »
Here was Litko's take on personal Force Fields if that is of any inspiration.

http://www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/PROD/TS139

Maybe you could get a custom order set?

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 01:03:46 AM »
I've used the thin sheet plastic you can get for overhead projectors, it's flexible enough to bend into shape and glue into a base. Then I leave the centre clear and paint the edges with GW washes.

Offline tjantzen

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 07:09:48 AM »
thanx for the feedback guys  :)
I'll post pics when I am done with the prototypes

regards
Thomas

Offline Col. Aubrey Bagshot

• Mad Scientist
  • Remember... something
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 11:17:05 AM »
The Old GW starter set, Battle for Macragge, had about four or five of them...
And very nice they were too... should be able to find some of those somewhere....
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 03:21:11 PM »
I have Battle for Macragge.  I do not recall it having any force fields.  It has some tower things that I think are force field generators, but no actual force fields were with mine.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 03:33:09 PM »
I have Battle for Macragge.  I do not recall it having any force fields.  It has some tower things that I think are force field generators, but no actual force fields were with mine.

I think that is what my learned friend is referring to!  ::) I was going to suggest those, if you can fnd clear coloured acrylic rod you could drill each 'node and thread it though. That would look pretty damn cool.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 03:39:58 PM »
I think different people are sometimes talking about different things here, and sometimes the same things using different words...

Battle for Macragge included four 'force field generator pylons' or something - about 4cm high pylons with little do-hickeys on them to represent some kind of force field projectors. (There's a link to a photo on some chap's blog here). The Quantum Gothic ones WarGameGuru links to are also pylons for projecting force fields (and very brutally-nice they are too).

The Litko ones are markers for the force field itself, and I presume Hat Guy was also talking about using something like acetate as a marker for the force field not the generator (after all, in SH games, force fields are as likely to be generated by heroes as devices).

As I understand it, the original request (involving plexiglass) was about force fields, not force field generators/pylons... I hope that's right.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 04:30:57 PM by Red Orc »

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 04:20:35 PM »
OK - I admit that these may be a little OTT - but they would look fantastic!  See;
http://www.prlog.org/10681444-led-illuminated-sign-board.html

In addition and on a related subject I once made a gaming board that had an illuminated monolith. See;
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/2009/01/christmas-2008-project-amber-shrine_28.html

Regards

Tony

Offline tjantzen

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 11:36:47 AM »
red orc is right  :)
What I am trying to build are the actual walls of energy fields. We are playing super systems and in need of some kind of wall to simulate force field barries cast by types like Susan Storm of Gene Gray.
Walls that can be seen through but not penetrated. Therefor the plexiglass pieces. Now I just wonder what kind of painting or modeling technic to make the plexiglass look more like engergy walls

thanks
Thomas

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 12:01:43 PM »
I know some people over at TerraGenesis - http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/ - were working on stuff with some kind of light-emitting clear acrylic (or something like that) for similar effects, but I can't at present find the thread I was thinking about.

Have you posted in the 'How to...' section here? You might get a few answers from sci-fi gamers there who might not necessarly be looking in the superhero forum. Just a thought.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
Perhaps clear plastic caps off laundry detergent bottles for individual force fields? 

Have you posted on the Yahoo Group (if you use Yahoo Groups)  for Supersystem?

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Superfigs/?yguid=438579800

Gracias,

Glenn