Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:59:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Zombie scenarios  (Read 3117 times)

Offline mindfad

• Bookworm
Zombie scenarios
« on: September 23, 2012, 12:44:35 AM »
Does anyone know if there is a zombie rule set that had alot of scenarios like D&D. LOL obviously it wont be anywhere near as many but a fair amount to look through than I would just adapt them to whatever rule set i ended up using.

Was also looking through the zombicide posts, what scale did those figures end up being? I feel like i missed a good buy there by not backing the kickstarter. :(

Offline Eldorf.Dragonsbane

• Librarian
  • Zombie Game Fan
    • Doug's Land of the Dead
Re: Zombie scenarios
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 01:15:23 AM »
Right of the top of my head I would say All Flesh Must Be Eaten by Eden Studios, its an RPG like D&D.

Wargame wise I would say All Things Zombie by Two Hour Wargames. Right now the rules are in three books Better Dead then Zed (core rules, currently out of print, soon to be replaced by Final Fade Out), Haven a scenario book, and I, Zombie an expansion/scenario book.

Offline mindfad

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 01:23:51 AM »
okay thank have to look into them now. Just need an idea where to start.

Offline Diceplague

• Librarian
  • No, human... I´M power, knowledge is doom!
    • Diceplague Wargame Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 06:02:58 AM »
I really like the 2 hour wargame All Things Zombies (and others). Great for solo or cooperative play. But as a heads up I should warn you that they are about to launch an update "Final Fade Out" that seems to be a middle ground between RPG and Skirmish game and If it´s similar to other newest games like "After the Horseman" It will be awesome. Stay tuned!
"Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas."
http://diceplague.blogspot.com.br

Offline mindfad

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 06:52:33 AM »
just researching kinda right now, not rushing to buy any hardcover book at the moment so no rush.

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 12:49:46 PM »
The best scenarios are homemade.  ;)

Google gives you everything you need - maps and locations of key shops - maybe base it one a town you know well.

Let your players generate the scenario, eg

"the five of you are holed up in a second storey flat....you've got a couple of firearms but are low on ammo, and are worried the noise might draw more zeds to your location (you've got a couple of baseballs bats/a fire axe but could do with more/better options.

You've emptied out the flat, and the one downstairs for supplies, and have food for a couple of days, but have hesitated to scavenge more widely locally.  You haven't got a vehicle, but there are plenty in the road outside, some with doors open (can't see if the keys are in them).

You are all relatively fit, but one of the group has a cut on his arm - he says it was from climbing a barb-wire fence, no fever so he doesnt seem infected.  You've cleaned the wound, but could do with finding some painkillers, antiseptic in case it comes in handy later.

The flat is ok for now, but the downstairs entrance door is pretty ramshackle, and difficult to fortify.  One of your group is an army-vet and has suggested you find a better place to hold out, as there is no access to the roof (ie if a whole bunch of zeds attack you've got no line of retreat).

So players, here is the map of what you can see from the flat (google maps).....what is your priority....Find more food, medical supplies, gun (and or ammo), melee weapons, a car (or fuel), or a new place to hold out?.  It gets dark in about 4 hours time."

Over to you.

:D

Offline Eldorf.Dragonsbane

• Librarian
  • Zombie Game Fan
    • Doug's Land of the Dead
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 04:13:33 PM »
As Akula says you can easily make your own scenarios, just use google to get the maps and what not.

As for Hardcover books, All Flesh Must Be Eaten last I knew was hard cover for the Core book, I believe most the supplements are Softcover.

Now for All Things Zombie, you have two options for those books (along with all but a few of the other Two Hour Wargames rules). 1) PDF file that you will print off yourself, or 2) Hardcopy (the ones I have bought that are hardcopies are softcover and plastic comb bound {if you don't know what comb binding is think of it as being similar to a Spiral Notebook} and have stood up to some abuse) with a PDF file you download after the purchase has been processed (the shopping cart system THW uses has the download immediately available once payment has been processed). Now I did purchase ATZ:BDTZ, Haven and I, Zombie as straight up PDFs and had them professionally printed and bound myself (Comb Binding), Qwik and After the Horsemen were purchased as Hardcopies from THW, once Final Fade Out becomes available I will be getting that as a Hardcopy from THW also (along with any additional rules I purchase from them), as it is cheaper in the long run, granted if I have them printed professionally I can use heavier stock for the covers and even have them laminated to help strengthen/protect the covers, but it isnt worth the extra time and effort.

Also for ATZ if you search for blogs such as http://vampifansworldoftheundead.blogspot.com/ they have scenarios they created or have modified from the ATZ books. Vampifan has a great one he calls Assault on Precinct 13 that he played.

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 05:07:22 PM »
"Research" is also fun.... ;)

If you are new to the genre, then any Romero zombie film, Walking Dead (TV series, plus the graphic novels) David Wellington novels are all a good grounding for storylines, but the basic ingredients are:

Escape, Fortify, Scavenge, Clear

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 07:38:37 PM »
Aside from genre movies and books, in my experience the best scenario generator I've found so far is: A camp fire, a couple of mates, a few beers* and the question "what would you do in a zombie outbreak".  ;)
*:substitute for beverage of choice, if required/wanted.

I've ran a few zombie survival campaign in the past, and what I often found works well is to just discuss things with the players after the game. Ask them what their characters would do in that situation, discuss options. You can always add unforeseen circumstances based on their plan.
Some ideas:
Say, the players decide to get out of the town/city. That immediately suggests several scenario's:
-They'll need to find vehicles (I assume all roads will be in zombie-filled gridlock, so they will need to acquire vehicles outside the city boundaries)
-They'll need to find fuel
-They have to get their group and their gear there and into the vehicles
-etc.
Injured players may feel the need to raid a pharmacy or hospital (back into the city...), gun nuts will want to gather ammo, you will need to stock up on food and water, the ideas go on.

Most players will appreciate this sort of discussion after the game. They feel they "own" the game more, and will often come with brilliant ideas!

And you can always add a loop of your own to their plans: encounter other survivors, military scouts, "natural" hazards (broken gas mainline, the hospital is running on it's own generators and attracting massive hordes of zombies with the light and noise, large uncontrolled fires as there are no firefighters left. Outside of zombie areas there are still natural predators... Rumours of safe havens are always a good one.)

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »
"Well, they said 'Stay in your homes', which seemed like good advice, at least for a while. But now you're almost out of food, the water pressure finally went, and the power's been out for days. Your battery radio's still picking up actual transmissions - not one of those automated messages- from some place down-state, so you figured you'd get everything ready and move out in Jenny's van. But you woke up this morning to discover that some time last night that bastard Daryl took the car keys and most of your ammunition and ditched you guys. So now you have to move, but first you need to find some wheels.

And some gas.

And maybe some more ammo..."

Good luck
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 02:38:17 PM »
"Luckily your mate Warren told you about his survivalist neighbour and his stockpiles. He probably won't need them anymore, as you saw him yesterday. He's part of the "in crowd" now. It should be safe to raid his place, maybe even hole up there.
Problem is, it's all the way across town..."

Offline Diceplague

• Librarian
  • No, human... I´M power, knowledge is doom!
    • Diceplague Wargame Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 05:48:01 PM »
"Well, they said 'Stay in your homes', which seemed like good advice, at least for a while. But now you're almost out of food, the water pressure finally went, and the power's been out for days. Your battery radio's still picking up actual transmissions - not one of those automated messages- from some place down-state, so you figured you'd get everything ready and move out in Jenny's van. But you woke up this morning to discover that some time last night that bastard Daryl took the car keys and most of your ammunition and ditched you guys. So now you have to move, but first you need to find some wheels.

And some gas.

And maybe some more ammo..."

Good luck

I loved it! I´m using your ideas for my next campaign.