Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:09:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Post Apoc/Near Future project - Welcome to the Fabulous Union Archology  (Read 10439 times)

Offline kenohhkc

• Scientist
  • I Can't Help Myself
Working on a Post Apoc near future project.

The idea was how could I incorporate all the great packs in Copplestones Future Wars Line and the Foundry Street Violence line along with whatever else near future/post apoc blade runner and William Gibson influenced, world has gone to hell, story of a few haves and a whole lot of have nots.

Thus the Union Archology was born. An archilogy is a mega sprawled city. It has a series of ringed walls which cordan off areas from each other. At the heart are the corporate towers, civic buildings, high rise mansions, beautifl parks and shopping arcades. As one travels farther out in the rings, the city gets less wealthy, less upkept, and more deadly. Outer rings are nothing more than refugee and shanty towns where open warfare and running gun battles for turf, scavenger rights and any piece of the pie you can grab. Enjoy you stay in the fabulous Union Archology!

[/center]
Right now I have several of the factions complete. I have most of the UA forces done.

UA Peace Officers

Biological Defense Force - for all those bio mishaps

TANC (Tactical Assault Neutralization & Clean-up) Corps

Scavenger/Rebels

Gangs/Groups

These are pics of a couple of scavenger squads WiP. You can see a couple of completed rubbled buildings as well:  

And finally, a husky chap who looks like and me:

I should finish these up this week and will post then.

Great thing about these figs is they let me use them for Post Apoc/Fallout games as well.

Hope you enjoy.

Offline kenohhkc

• Scientist
  • I Can't Help Myself
Re: Post Apoc/Near Future project - Welcome to the Fabulous Union Archology
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 10:31:18 PM »
Just noticed how blurry a few pics are. Sorry about. Thought they were the clearer version.

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 11:18:51 PM »
Very cool - this is the sort of thing that I want to do in order to use all the cool modern/near future minis from Copplestone, EM4, Hasslefree, and so on. Like the ruined concrete buildings too - very nice detailing and weathering. Looking forward to more.
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 12:37:15 AM »

Quite an interesting collection. Cool stuff too.

I can identify the provenance of much of the figures but I would like to know where the vehicles and tank are from?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 01:19:03 AM »
Very cool kenohhkc.  This is something I want to do eventually as well.  Thanks for some inspiration.

Oh, and I really want to get those hazmat guys now.

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 01:40:39 AM »
I'm in the same boat, identified most for the figures and like how they gel with the vehicles. Awesome set up and looks to provide ample fun as the law enforcement finally catches up to the usual runaway arsm race those ne're do wells usually have the upper hand in.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 01:58:18 AM »
This looks like a great project. The minis all look great and the buildings are cool too. Gotta jump on the bandwagon and ask where you got those vehicles from I really like them, they fit in very nicely.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 02:08:46 AM »
Excellent. I do believe I've seen your website before which had some other pictures and close-ups of the rusty mechs. The peace keepers have a merkava? :)

I really like the look of the rusty, beat-up buildings.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline kenohhkc

• Scientist
  • I Can't Help Myself
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 02:24:10 AM »
Thanks for the comments. I have 6 more building shells to weather and rubble out, a park, and a 2-block civic plaza. And then the shanty town.

The tank is a plastic Zhengdefu Merkava in 1/48. They used to sell them at Hobby Lobby, but you can find them on Ebay.

The cars are cheap 1/43 diecast from walmart. The cages are nylon dry wall tape.

The armored cars and Hmvees are as well. I'll take some more pics of the other side of the buildings.

Offline Last Chancer

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 02:32:43 AM »
Love the set up.  Very inspirational.

How do you make your roads and builldings?

Love the theme!!! Excellent!!!

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 07:00:49 AM »
Nice idea and use of E4m/Copplestone minis. The beauty of those older casts is that they hold up against the more modern sculpts and are dirt cheap.

Looking at the pics again there's a Humvee and another armoured car with a roof mounted weapons system, can you remember where you got the latter from?

Cheers

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 11:50:15 AM »
Why can't we get those nice diecast cars were in Portugal?  :? Great idea and great miniatures, kenohhkc.

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 01:37:26 PM »
Very nice!  I love it! :-*  The concrete buildings are great!  Would love to hear
how you did them.  Blue/pink foam?

Darkoath

Offline kenohhkc

• Scientist
  • I Can't Help Myself
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 06:58:25 PM »
Actually they are made from floral foam. I got them from a friend who purchased them online from someone who went out of business.

He took sheet green floral foam and built the building blanks. Floral foam is rediculously easy to cut. He then gesso'd or just painted the buildings white. It sealed the green foam and helped with rigidity.

So the white ones are the unfinished ones. I then went in, added wire netting, plaster rubble and such, carved the sidewalks, added the shell and bullet holes, and all of the roof detail and then painted, washed , stained and generally weathered. I will add some pics so you can see the rubbled backs of the buldings.

I am surpised about the rigidity of the foam cause I expected them to be flimsy, but they are very robust.

a lot of the bits and bobs are from the turned wood products at Hobby Lobby. straws, boxes, etc.

They are wargamming pieces so a lot of the interiors, while they are accessable, have a minimum of detail.

Armored car is from Walmart. They were $2 each 1/43ish diecast military line they carried. It had some helicopters and stuff in the line too. I have had them for a while and haven't seen them in forever.

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 08:53:14 PM »
Floral foam as in the green blocks that crumble at the slightest touch? (I was a florist when I was a wayward teen, and probably crumbled tons of the stuff to dust...) - are they durable enough to use after just a coat of paint, or is there some other treatment required?