Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:37:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690331
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Trail of Terror (2nd edition playtest)  (Read 4297 times)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
The Trail of Terror (2nd edition playtest)
« on: August 18, 2010, 04:21:18 PM »
Last night I had another playtest game for .45 Adventure 2nd edition. And I have to say, I think the combat system works marvelously. I had 7 players AND we played on a 6 foot board (I will discuss that in a second).

Here is the table set-up.

And a close shot of some elephants.

I kept the actual scenario simple as I was still playing with mechanics. The goal of the scenario was to find the three markers that showed the path out of the jungle and then exit the board. Players collected victory points for each game animal they bagged and each hostile model that eliminated. After I explained the rules, we had a brief question and answer session and I ran through some examples and situations (because some of the players like to see the mechanics in action without having to do it in game).

After about the third time combat occurred, people had the basics down and all I had to do was remind of modifiers. Things that I liked that became evident in the game. There are 4 different types of combat figure that have emerged in the rules. Two range combat and two close combat. Each of these has one type that can hit hard and one type that can strike more often. As the models in play were all Big Game Hunters, they could hit hard so when shooting at single targets, they could do massive amounts of damage. But when swarmed by hordes of natives, they could be quickly overwhelmed.

And 4 Grade 1s can take down a Grade 3 if players plan for the weaknesses of their opponent. A range combat expert Grade 3 swarmed by 4 close Combat Grade 1s will quickly find the wounds piling up.

Also, though there was some bad dice rolling, the Heroes could be more heroic with the changes. They used Hero Points more often and their abilities allowed them to try things with better chances of success. For example, Dead Shot in 2nd edition allows you to roll 2 dice for Wound location (instead of just adding to a die roll with Hero Points). This meant that the Heroes could pick apart the enemy (or if they accidentally hit a friend, move the wound to a less critical spot).

The Run Action... love it. As long as you have at least one Legs wound available, you can still Run which means that models can stay in the game longer.

Those are my thoughts. And here are some more pictures.

The Grade 3 War Chief as he approaches a second victim.

Closer he draws, step by step, inch by inch. Only to be felled by rifle fire. DOH!

Natives bear down on one of the hunters. They skewered him repeatedly until he fell unconscious and then they went after more prey (he then woke up and snuck off before they could come back).

Ants! Giant friggin' ants! Had to play with some new toys that were sent to me. So Chuck, here are the ants in play.

And three shots of the game animals (some downed by rifle shots) as the players race to get off the board.

Now, I know that I always talk about the small playing area that you can use for the game, but with the changes to the new rules, you can now play on larger boards IF YOU WANT to. The small playing area is not compromised by these changes as I saw in the three previous playtest games I have run using the smaller board. But, for those games where you just need a larger space, you can now do it without having to change rules or make the game drag out incredibly long. We played on this board last night in less than 3 hours. And there was quite a lot of discussion about rules mechanics and such so lots of stopping points along the way.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
Re: The Trail of Terror (2nd edition playtest)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 04:33:31 PM »
Those ants are great!!!!!  I expect to see them in every future game you run.  lol

Glad to hear the new rules are working. Looking forward to seeing them.

What are the giant plastic grass tufts? Aquarium terrain?

Chuck

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 08:53:37 AM »
Looking awesome! The new rules sound really good and smooth. Can't wait for 2nd edition 8)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 09:27:36 AM »
Nice looking game.  :-*
A couple of questions if you don’t mind?
Is that a mat you are playing on or permanent board?
Where are the animals from?
New rules sound good. Looking forward to them.

Offline Tsune

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 11:11:34 AM »
Nice looking game! The board is great and the animals too.

Looking forward for the new rules that sound great!  :)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 01:17:27 PM »
Thanks for the comments. The new rules are coming along nicely. I'm happy with how they are playing out.

Is that a mat you are playing on or permanent board?
Where are the animals from?

It's a mat of my own creation. Shamelessly stolen idea from another LAF member, it's a painter's canvas (about 8ft) that I have painted and added flock to with some spray glue. I have found that the longer I use it, the better it starts to look (I think all the flock and other bits of grit that end up shifting and moving are giving it a nice overall texture.

The animals are all Iron Wind Metals (the old Ral Partha line of animals).

And the green tufts are aquarium plants. Those were the only things not mine, they were brought by another player.

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 06:30:16 PM »
OOOH The Board is nice !!

I first fear that you change the rules so much that I can´t use my small boards so now I am happy to hear that I can still use them ,thanks.

I also like the rules and the scenario but most of all I like the figures and the terrain are all the figures yours ?

ok and last I realy need these ants  I need them !! can you buy me some and send them to germany ??

Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 06:41:24 PM »
Awesome just love the board and hordes of animals!  :o

Any chance of a picture of the hippo pool?

Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 06:41:44 PM »
I first fear that you change the rules so much that I can´t use my small boards so now I am happy to hear that I can still use them, thanks.

I also like the rules and the scenario but most of all I like the figures and the terrain are all the figures yours ?

ok and last I realy need these ants  I need them !! can you buy me some and send them to germany ??

Yes, you will absolutely be able to use the small boards and, in fact, I will still be doing most of my games on them. But the addition of the "Run" action allows to use bigger boards for those times when you need them.

Figures, with the exception of one hunter and two lions (neither of which I had pictures of), were brought by other players. Each player brought a hunter and two people added the animals to the mix. All the terrain, with the exception of the BIG grass tufts, was mine.

And you will have to check with Schogun for the ants. He sent them to me. They are soft rubber so probably won't take paint at all and I have not tried to glue them to anything so no idea how that will work. But I have a bag of about 40 of the things and it weighs almost nothing so should be cheap to ship to Germany.

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 08:08:15 AM »
Glad to hear things are comming along well, really looking forward to 2nd edition.
 :)
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 02:46:14 PM »
Now when is 2nd ed coming out?
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 03:07:05 PM »
Second edition will be out in December.

I've been running playtest on it for about 7 months now, so it will get just about a year of playtesting by the time it is out. I've already tweaked a few things from the early playtests and since a lot of the rules are from the existing edition, I think this should be a very tight rule set.

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 08:46:30 PM »
The ants are from a company called Safari Ltd. Do a search online to find if there are any UK/Europe stockists.

Here's a link to the ants on their webstore:
http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=342122/740.0.1.1

192 ants for $90, unfortunately! Almost 50 cents per ant! Far more than I spent.

My local store has a very small display with a mix of animals -- ants, penguins, others. Depending on who waited on me, the price for each ant was either 10 cents or 25 cents.

Now I wonder if they can get any more when they're all gone. I may go back and buy the rest...

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 11:37:52 PM »
Looks great to me, some nice mini's and terrain.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 11:45:34 PM »
Looks great to me, some nice mini's and terrain.

Yes are those plastic elephants or lead (I mean white metal)?