Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:38:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Shady pulp merchant figure?  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
Shady pulp merchant figure?
« on: August 25, 2010, 06:48:27 PM »
I'm looking for 25/28mm minis suitable for character inspired by the Merchant in Resident Evil 4.

Basically, that shady guy for the players to encounter in that one back ally in Zanzibar with a coat/stall/garage/car boot full of contraband for sale. From quality third world knockoff firearms, to rare herbs that grant a glimpse of the Great God Pan, he either has it or can get it. And if you've got a unusually large and distinctive jewel to unload before the machete-wielding monks of the temple of Xor pick up your trail, he'll give you a "fair" price for it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:50:41 PM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: Shady pulp merchant figure?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 07:12:46 PM »
Can't get the link to work. Could you post a picture of what you are after?

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 09:26:55 PM »
'S odd, the link still works on my end. Here's another pic link though:
http://i.neoseeker.com/ca/residentevil4_conceptart_WVepg.jpg

He shows up in various odd corners throughout the game, sometimes with just his coat and pack, other times with a full flea-market stall, and offers to buy loot, sell/trade weapons, upgrades, health items, etc. Anything you sell back to him after buying he'll only give you half value for. He's a wandering pawn shop, more or less.

Most of the guns he sells are openly misnamed. In reality this is because Capcom didn't/couldn't get licensing to use the real brand & model names, but in-game it makes it look like he's selling pirate knock-offs. Plus at least one of the guns, an FN Five-seven, uses odd caliber ammo not available to civilians anywhere at the time the game was made, but in the game uses common 9mm. Of course your PC, being on a solo quasi-black ops mission in the middle of monster country, is in no position to care about their legality ;).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 09:52:50 PM by Connectamabob »

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 10:12:47 PM »
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 10:38:16 PM »
Well, some of Copplestone scavengers look like him, although they're all trading heavy weapons.

PP's Gorman di Wulfe could be converted to offer your favourite goods. His garments don't look so similar, but he might have the correct feel. Which one is more important?

And which tech level are we talking about exactly?

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 12:51:47 AM »
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 12:53:30 AM by Chairface »

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 06:55:20 AM »
Heroclix had a Snake Oil Salesman that might do:

http://sg.ebid.net/for-sale/horrorclix-freakshow-037-snake-oil-salesman-9374938.htm

I have him, and is 33mm to eye level, 39mm to the top of the hat, so is QUITE BIG for 25-28mm. Otherwise, a really nice fig.

So sad Impact don't have the fig Chairface shows. Seems useful.

Hope that helps.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 02:25:42 PM »
eM-4 has one that has the right feel, if not the right hat:

"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 02:28:30 PM »
So sad Impact don't have the fig Chairface shows. Seems useful.

They do quite a few limited edition minis. Most are tournament specials.  You could always try heading over to Talkfantasyfootball.com and post that you're looking for one in the For Sale section. Chances are you'll find something.

Offline G2

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 06:26:15 AM »
eM-4 has one that has the right feel, if not the right hat:

He does look shady. I like him.
-------------------------------------------
Standing Small - G2's Miniatures Blog
-------------------------------------------

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 08:03:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

To answer someone's question which has apparently been edited away since I last looked, the right feel is more important than the specific details.

Things I like about the RE4 character's look:
He looks like a guy with only one change of clothes who lives out of his backpack, but at the same time he's not exactly a hobo: his kit is old and well used, but he keeps it in good repair, and is resourceful enough to replace what can't be repaired, and there's a strong sense of practicality over form in what he chooses. Given the stuff he trades in, and the amount of money he can pay for your loot, he's a wanderer by choice. Not a guy who couldn't afford new shoes, but a guy who doesn't want to spend the money as long as the old ones can still be stitched up. As a result he's got an eclectic mix of clothes/kit that makes him a bit ambiguous as to time period and nationality:  RE4 takes place in the back country of modern day Spain, but this guy could be just as at home in a wild west border town as in a WWII Egyptian market as in a modern gypsy camp.

The open coat is just gravy. It's not important for the figure to have this feature. The shady, culturally ambiguous, slightly third-world-ish all-weather grittiness is what I'm going for. Ahh, here's another example to help triangulate on what I'm thinking:

That's a post apoc version (I don't want/need stuff like the goggles or gas mask), but the overall feel is similar. I'll see If I can think of any other examples, I'll post them.

Tech level is not important so much, as ideally this would depend more on what wares I surround him with than the figure itself. Era is negotiable, so long as it's within a century or so of the present.

The Heroclix snake oil salesman is the wrong style. He's very urban anglo Victorian and "gentlemanly" (just his sales image no doubt, but still).

The PP figure is better, but still a little too period specific in his clothing. He looks very pre victorian to me.

I really don't like the sculpting quality on the Impact minis one, and it's too classically hobo-ish in detail (i.e. a guy who can't afford new shoes, and can't/won't repair the old ones).

The copplestone and EM4 figures look good, but would need some modding to make them look like merchants instead of raiders.