Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:16:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Dunwich Horror miniatures  (Read 10490 times)

Offline iago

• Assistant
    • http://www.javaop.com
The Dunwich Horror miniatures
« on: July 29, 2007, 07:53:04 PM »
Last night, I finally finished Wilbur, which completes my painting of the human-shaped characters in The Dunwich Horror (the dog, too). The only thing I'm missing now is the monster and some terrain, which I will be working on soon (once I make it to the store for glue and things). I'll post those in this thread when they're done, but that will likely be a little while, still, so I thought I'd get started.

For bigger versions of the pictures below, have a look here. And pictures of my other Call of Cthulhu stuff (which is currently limited to a no-longer mislabled Nightgaunt :) ), have a look here.

Henry Armitage
This is Henry Armitage, the librarian at the Miskatonic University. He's the character that Lovecraft says he identifies with most, and is my favorite miniature of the bunch. He presented a couple interesting challenges (eyeglasses and holding a flask, for example) but I think he turned out well.

Old Whateley
This is Wilbur's grandfather and Lavinia's father. Note that the cement he's standing on has a crack running through it -- that's the first freehand I ever did. :)

Lavinia Whateley
When I started painting Lavinia, I hadn't read The Dunwich Horror in awhile. But despite it not being perfect, I did paint her poor and ugly which is what it was supposed to be:

Wilbur Whateley
Wilbur is Lavinia's son. He was described as having goat-like features, dark, yellow-ish skin, and dark eyes. Oh, and a chest like an alligator's, a back diebald coloured like a snake's (I tried to imitat a ball python a bit), a tail with purple rings, greyish-green tentacles from his stomach with red mouthes, pink eyes on his hips, and deer legs with black hair.

I tried to stick with HPL's description except where it got too crazy, but I drew the line at the red mouths and purple rings. That would have looked silly.

Note also that this was my first ever attempt at free-hand (not counting Old Whateley's base), so any comments on it would be appreciated.

Police Officer
I'm not 100 percent positive what he represents, but I suspect he's one of the police that came to the library after Wilbur broke in.

Guard Dog
I initially painted this dog thinking he was Lavinia's, so I painted him scruffy-like. It turns out that he's the guarddog from the university, so I guess they don't feed him well :)

Hope you enjoy them!

As I said in another thread, I'm still pretty new at this miniature painting stuff so comments are most welcome. :)

Offline Wallyocerous

• Librarian
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 06:21:25 AM »
Awesome work!  Henry Armitage is my favourite of them all too.  

Good facial highlights on Old Whateley and Lavinia looks suitably white trash-ish.   :wink:   You did well with the yellows on Wilbur also.

I think this is the first time I've ever seen these miniatures painted and I'd love to see more!  I look forward to seeing the monstrosities from the Dunwich region....   :)

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 08:02:01 PM »
I think that Dunwich Horror is one of my favorites of all the HPL stuff...Each of your minis was immediately recognizable!

I think old Man Whateley is my favorite of the bunch.  Something just wicked looking about him...yet he could pass as a regular citizen to the untrained eye....

Lavinia is downright ugly!  (as she should be!!)

Nicely presented.

Offline iago

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 11:17:08 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback, that encourages me to work on it more! :)

Quote from: "supervike"
Lavinia is downright ugly!  (as she should be!!)

Thanks, I think! ;)

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 07:38:36 PM »
It's a compliment all the way!

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 10:28:46 PM »
These figs are looking great! I like the character you manager to squeeze onto those tiny true 25mm figs. Pretty neat lines on the back of Wilbur there as well, good job on that. I do like the bottle and glasses very much as well, those glasses are tiny so it is quite the job!

Looking forward to seeing Wilbur's brother!

n.

Offline iago

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 09:15:26 PM »
So I finally finished painting the brother Whateley, the ultimate monster in The Dunwich Horror.

Here is the miniature:

And here's a picture of the whole Whateley family, partly for a family portrait and partly to show the scale:

Sorry for the white base, but I haven't built any terrain yet. That's next, though!

It's actually a really good miniature, it's heavy and solid. And I only broke it twice while paiting before I finally got better glue :)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 09:20:04 PM »
Damn, what a coincidence - while rummaging through my mini boxes, I came across my copy of the Son of Yog "don´t call me SOAPY!" Sothoth... I painted mine in a sick, deep fleshtone, but that grey or yours looks really good, as well. Damn difficult to get that special tone of invisibility right - makes those khaki drab/olive drag/feldgrau discussions look puny! :lol:

Nice work, on all the minis.

Offline iago

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 09:37:22 PM »
Thanks!

The main reason I chose grey was the description in the book:

"Bigger'n a barn ... all made o' squirmin' ropes ... hull thing sort o' shaped like a hen's egg bigger'n anything, with dozens o' legs like hogsheads that haff shut off when they step .. nothin' solid abaout it--all like jelly, an' made o' sep'rid wrigglin' ropes pushed clost together ... great bulgin' eyes all over it ... ten or twenty maouths or trunks a-stickin' aout all along the sides, big as stovepipes, an' all a-tossin' an' openin' an' shuttin' ... all grey, with kinder blue or purple rings ... an' Gawd in heaven--that haff face on top!..."

It turned out better than I imagined it would, though. :)

I didn't do the purple rings, though. I couldn't imagine that looking good...

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 07:52:53 PM »
Great job!

The family portrait is great!

Such fun minis.

Offline iago

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 03:52:21 PM »
Well, it's been two months, but I'm finally done the structure of the Whateley house! I'm moving in just over a week, so I didn't want to start working on furniture and whatnot, when I get to doing that, I'll post more pictures.

This is the first first piece of terrain I ever built, so feedback would be great!

This is a front view of the house from The Dunwich Horror. I'll explain bits in more details as we get closeups.

Notice that the upper windows are boarded up. That's where the Monster (Brother Whateley) lives!

The ramp is from the story, it's used by Old Whateley and family to bring cows up to Brother Whateley. On the miniature, it's detachable, and some miniatures can stand on it.

This is the floor where Brother Whateley lives. The walls have been torn down (except those around the center), and all but one door is boarded up.

This is pretty boring since it's unfurnished. The bedrooms are along the left, the kitchen/dining room on the bottom-right, and the study on the top-right. The big open area is the living room.

Also notice the porch out front. I thought that was an important feature from the movie.

Old Whateley and Wilbur Whateley are leading up their cows (which have gone white.. err, silver in fear!) to be eaten by Brother Whateley. Dinner time!

Old Whateley and Wilbur watch as Brother Whatley devours the cows. Eat them up, yum!

Henry Armitage (the librarian) and his security guard are at the door. This could be trouble!

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 04:20:39 PM »
I love that house! It is awesome! I particularly love the cows that have gone silver in fear! ;)

Seriously though, I am looking forward to playing a game over that piece!

n.

Offline Troll

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 08:09:29 PM »
That house is great! I also loved the silver cows. Makes me want to try to put a building together.

Troll
"If there is a universal mind must it be sane?" Charles Fort

Offline Wallyocerous

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 10:02:57 PM »
You sure went to town with the house!  Well done!  

Those cows didn't stand a chance...   :wink:

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 12:42:11 PM »
Hey, where'd you get silver cows from?  Never seen 'em that colour before :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Great project you have going there. Very impressive, especially considering it's your first attempt!  :love:

Cheers,
Ian