Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:04:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Roman Legion shield colors  (Read 6830 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Roman Legion shield colors
« on: September 03, 2010, 10:23:11 AM »
Ok I know in the movies such romans are always depicted with red shields and such. I was wondering if this is just because ever one thinks red is a striking color or did the Legions actually have to use this as a uniform?
I am doing an early/mid Imperial age roman civil war and was thinking of doing the different legions with different colored shields. Might just do it anyways.

Also for a later date, how would the Jews be kited out int he Great Jewish revolt of the 60s commen era?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Re: Roman Legion shield colors
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 10:57:02 AM »
In short: There are no reliable sources telling us about a distinct 'legionary uniform'. So you can choose whatever you see fit.
The red colour stems IIRC from a textile fragment found at a Roman castle somewhere in Britain. However, this fort was garrisoned by auxiliary troops! Latest research (mainly based on the evidence of painted gravestones and mural paintings) has Roman soldiers depicted in reddish, blue, off-white and beige colours, apparently depending on their current task (ceremonial dress, off-duty etc). See for example the Ospreys by Graham Sumner.

The same uncertainty goes - even more - for the Jews. I would suggest to clad them in muted colours, for they were predominantly commoners, not professional soldiers.

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
  • the levels of derp are astounding.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 12:22:52 PM »
I remember seeing pictures of reproduction classic square shaped blue roman shields, and some re enactors using the blue ones, but thats all I've seen unfortunately.

I have also seen some people paint the shields of there auxiliaries in blues greens reds and yellows, but not the classic square.

of course if your not too fussed about accuracy the shields could be any color you like really, depends on you.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 01:34:13 PM »
I'm not aware of anything early on, but there is a late work, the Nototia Dignitatum, that has shields in different colours.

Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 07:32:35 PM »
Thanks all, and your right artistic license is what matters   :D

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
  • the levels of derp are astounding.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 08:10:42 PM »
Thanks all, and your right artistic license is what matters   :D

as long as its in a roman style I think other colors would look quite spiffing, I have an image in my head of orange shields with white designs painted on, and in my head all is well with that.

Offline mondria

• Librarian
    • midnight greys
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 10:41:47 PM »
there was a article about shield en tunic colors in the Ancient Warfare magazine not to long ago, I think that the conclosion was red or white tunics with with shield color depending on role, red Infantry, green cavalry, blue navy, sorry cant help more I cant find my older magazines do to I moved house last month 

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 11:05:04 PM »
There was distinct differences though. During the Civil Wars the legions could tell who was who by their shield designs.

So presumably there is some variation in colour to go with the mix of thunderbolts and wings and laurel wreaths.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 01:04:08 AM »
Thats what I was thinking and sence I am going for a romen civil war I think they would look more striking if they had diffrant shields.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 06:48:29 PM »
As far as I know there is only the Trajan column to give proof of some design, but it´s not coloured. The other proof is a find from Duraeuropos (if I´m right here) that was an ornamentally painted fragment of a shield.
So nobody could doubt your personal choice of colours