Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:07:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690853
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sir Dryden takes the plunge  (Read 10553 times)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: Sir Dryden takes the plunge
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 08:44:35 PM »
Very nice detail. :-* :-* :-*
It is taller than I was expecting so the same question as above.
How do you get up.

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 09:29:08 PM »
Hi to all,

I understand the "How'd you get up there?" question and I'll answer with backstory...

The way I'm seeing it, this thing was built by some engineer who survived Doomsday. Since there's mutants/zombies/angry scavengers (your pick) roaming around, the engineer decides to go medieval and so he builds this keep of sorts. Now, big billboards like this always have rungs welded to the side of the support column BUT they start some distance from the ground so that no bozo decides to climb it one drunken night. You have to reach them with a ladder. Now, if instead of plastering a new Pontiac ad to the billboard you decide to build a little platform where the rungs start, and then decide to pull the ladder that brought you there up with you, you've got a (very crude) medieval keep going. Then, from your vantage point, you can spot incoming baddies and gauge your building time. Works even better if you have a helper or two (hint hint). Also, what do you need in a fortress? Water, food and, if you're crafty, electricity (hint hint again). That'll be all for the moment. I want to keep some surprises!

Anyway, to summarize, it's a ladder. You use a ladder.

Yours truly,

Sir Dryden

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 10:15:58 PM »
I like the film of Dune, but then I always regard films and books as entirely different things.

The platform looks cool, the internal details are fantastic.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 03:23:02 PM »

... who survived Doomsday.

No one survives Doomsdave!   Ohh.  Sorry. 

BTW the Michael Bolton appearance in Dune just makes it a better cheese-laden wallow. 
This is my boomstick!

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 10:03:52 PM »
Great project, fantastic idea!
 :-*

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 08:29:13 PM »
I like this build, but I also like Dune. The advert on it should therfore be for Dune. ;)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 08:34:11 PM »
Hi to all,

I should probably mention that I like DUNE (the book) before I add another title to my name (who wants to be known as The Michael Bolton Guy Who Hates Dune?).

Another update coming soon.

Yours truly,

Sir Dryden

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 05:33:41 AM »
FUN MICHAEL BOLTON FACT #2
Michael Bolton was an extra in David Lynch's 1984 movie DUNE. He played the part of a "spice-eyed drummer". This just adds to the already numerous reasons Lynch's DUNE sucked so bad.
:o
That film is great, but I saw it when I was 11 so... Besides, its all about Sting in the end ;)

Really like your platform and I'm looking forward to see the finished result :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 02:36:50 PM »
Hi to all,

I understand the "How'd you get up there?" question and I'll answer with backstory...

The way I'm seeing it, this thing was built by some engineer who survived Doomsday. Since there's mutants/zombies/angry scavengers (your pick) roaming around, the engineer decides to go medieval and so he builds this keep of sorts. Now, big billboards like this always have rungs welded to the side of the support column BUT they start some distance from the ground so that no bozo decides to climb it one drunken night. You have to reach them with a ladder. Now, if instead of plastering a new Pontiac ad to the billboard you decide to build a little platform where the rungs start, and then decide to pull the ladder that brought you there up with you, you've got a (very crude) medieval keep going. Then, from your vantage point, you can spot incoming baddies and gauge your building time. Works even better if you have a helper or two (hint hint). Also, what do you need in a fortress? Water, food and, if you're crafty, electricity (hint hint again). That'll be all for the moment. I want to keep some surprises!

Anyway, to summarize, it's a ladder. You use a ladder.

Yours truly,

Sir Dryden

So, what does he do when having to leave for food and water? To ensure no scavengers or whatever climbs up to lay in wait for him? Sorry  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 02:54:25 PM »
Trap door on the bottom for the "plumbing" ??   ;)
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 05:27:12 PM »
Hi to all,

Another update on my post-apoc billboard, complete with a few crappy pics...

4.The joys of Doomsday Architecture...
...is that you're going for that ramshackle look, which means you take all your typical "precise measurements" and throw 'em out the window. That's just great when you haven't built anything in a while. I managed to get the 4 platforms built and attached to the tower. Here's a pic.

It's not really clear on those pictures, but the second door (the one near the middle of the pole) will open on a second shed. Some detail pics should help. First, the 2nd shed from front and top:

Now from the back

Here's the level between the two sheds. Notice the rungs on the pole.

Detail shot. They were made out of staples. They're probably not going to last long if I ever play a game with this piece, but in the meantime they look good.

Lower level, not completed yet. It still needs barbwire on the underside and the mechanism to raise or lower the ladder (a winch of some sort). Also, a companion for my survivalist. His name is Telstar and you won't know why 'til I'm done with the project...

Finally, a little piece of detailing I won't be using. I'll go solar instead...

And there you have it. Comments are most welcome.

Yours truly,

Sir Dryden

FUN MICHAEL BOLTON FACT #3
Michael Bolton co-wrote "I Found Someone" for Laura Branigan in 1985. Her version was only a minor hit, but two years later, Cher resurrected the song, and with it her own singing career. Thanks a lot, Mike, thanks a lot...

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 05:29:41 PM »
When I was a kid I wanted to live in a house like that!

Liking it very much.  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 05:42:10 PM »
that's really impressive...

question though: if the rungs go up that high, why build steps up to the top hit... using the hungs and having a side hatch would give you more floor space...

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2010, 06:01:42 PM »
@anevilgiraffe

Agreed, it's totally logical and would be the way to go IF this wasn't a terrain piece. I wanted levels, but no "tunnels", by which I mean I wanted easy access for moving minis around, especially at that height. You wouldn't want your prized conversion falling 12'' down to it's doom just because it's too cramped under that floor. Anyway, I've got some detail work planned for the other side of the pole, details that'll be reached by the rungs. It might not be the best design reality-wise, but then again, it's a post-apoc billboard-turned-ultimate-treehouse  ;)...

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 07:04:02 PM »
... or maybe the man who makes the rungs was slained by a brain eater some days ago...
We are in a Post Apocalipt Full Of Madness World, so there are no why! :)

for the helix, why don't you use both? imean, this piece is wonderful, just add it somewhere to give more scrappish look! :)