Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:43:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 784
Total: 788

Recent

Author Topic: FUBAR-Free Modern/Sci Fi Ruleset  (Read 23440 times)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: FUBAR-Free Modern/Sci Fi Ruleset
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2010, 04:29:54 PM »
Comments & suggestions on this little 'Nam project are most welcome!

Well here's one... post this on FOF!!!  ;D

-Todd

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2010, 05:03:05 PM »
*Blush* I wanted it to be a bit more polished before springing it on the guys! Got two games in this last weekend, and uploaded the most recent changes yesterday. It has been a lot of fun to play-test. Very fast & nasty. A treat for the VC player & a suspenseful creeper for the US.

Feel free to drop by and give it a spin! I always have a table set-up & ready for a game.
TR
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2010, 05:06:59 PM »
Hrothgar and Craig, Its definitely something on my mind!!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2010, 10:56:36 PM »
I quite agree. They really call out for this sort of fun play.

That's it really. If you play for fun, you should love them, if you're some sort of competition monster - forget it  ;)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2010, 07:44:07 AM »
That's it really. If you play for fun, you should love them, if you're some sort of competition monster - forget it  ;)

Does this mean I should bin the 36 page tournament rules manual for FUBAR I was working on then?

Seriously though, one thing I had thought of is that FUBAR is so easy to pick up and play it might be an excellent set for people running participation games at shows.  So if anyone thinking of doing such a game a needs a specific force supplement just let us know and we'd be happy to oblige.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2010, 07:49:02 AM »
Does this mean I should bin the 36 page tournament rules manual for FUBAR I was working on then?

36 pages?  Have you taken leave of your senses?

No self respecting rulebook in the 21st century can be anything less than a 200 page glossy hardback costing £30-50.  What are you doing to the industry?

So if anyone thinking of doing such a game a needs a specific force supplement just let us know and we'd be happy to oblige.

......and free army codexes, too.  We're doomed!

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2010, 04:23:27 PM »
36 pages?  Have you taken leave of your senses?

No self respecting rulebook in the 21st century can be anything less than a 200 page glossy hardback costing £30-50.  What are you doing to the industry?

......and free army codexes, too.  We're doomed!

36 pages of text, we'll add the 164 pages of illustrations a full colour prints later.

As for free codices, well first you give them away and get people playing, then you release a figure line to tempt them further, and then the next edition is 84 pages and £25.

Simples!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2010, 09:50:43 AM »
These rules look really good now.  They are simple and highly adaptable and a major change from the heavy wargaming tomes that everyone has sold me in the last two years, much of which I doubt I will ever read. 

Does that include the latest incarnation of the Warhamster, that I tried to talk you out of..?  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2010, 09:57:25 AM »

Seriously though, one thing I had thought of is that FUBAR is so easy to pick up and play it might be an excellent set for people running participation games at shows.  So if anyone thinking of doing such a game a needs a specific force supplement just let us know and we'd be happy to oblige.

I think they would be ideal. My 11 year old son took to them inmmediately when we played and the game itself was very fast-moving and reached a decisive finish in less than an hour. You could easily run 5 games in a typical UK one-day show.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2010, 09:59:23 AM »
*Blush* I wanted it to be a bit more polished before springing it on the guys! Got two games in this last weekend, and uploaded the most recent changes yesterday. It has been a lot of fun to play-test. Very fast & nasty. A treat for the VC player & a suspenseful creeper for the US.

Feel free to drop by and give it a spin! I always have a table set-up & ready for a game.
TR

I'm looking forward to getting some of eBob's new Nam range (if I can afford to) and Fubar will be my choice of rules  :D

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2010, 10:06:09 AM »
These rules look really good now.  They are simple and highly adaptable and a major change from the heavy wargaming tomes that everyone has sold me in the last two years, much of which I doubt I will ever read. 

Does that include the latest incarnation of the Warhamster, that I tried to talk you out of..? 

'Fraid so.  Wish I'd seen Fubar earlier, this has all the hallmarks of something that will grow...................

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
  • "We grow old because we stop playing" - GBS
    • Cheshirekat's Hobby Corner
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2010, 04:49:07 AM »
Just checked out Something Wicked This Way Comes. Looks good, Craig. I think this would work for sci horror and Cthulhu-esqe stuff as well.

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2010, 08:21:22 AM »
Aye, agreed on that, the expansion looks superb, I really can't wait to pick that bad boy up and get gaming!

I think you guys could give me some pointers though, anybody got some advice for playing a Star Trek esk game with Fubar?

Cheers guys keep up the smashing rules Craig
Steve

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2010, 07:32:25 PM »
I think you guys could give me some pointers though, anybody got some advice for playing a Star Trek esk game with Fubar?

It's definitely on my list. I should point out that I'm a fan of the Original Series so I'll probably concentrate on theat 'era'.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2010, 08:40:02 PM »

It's definitely on my list. I should point out that I'm a fan of the Original Series so I'll probably concentrate on theat 'era'.

I feel that some money will be vanishing Matakishi's way.   :o