Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:16:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: FUBAR-Free Modern/Sci Fi Ruleset  (Read 23432 times)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Re: FUBAR-Free Modern/Sci Fi Ruleset
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2010, 08:51:23 AM »
One of our most creative regulars, Chris,  has just uploaded FUBAR Force Supplements for the Khurasan & Rebel Mini's 15mm Sf figure ranges to the Forge of War Yahoo Group.

My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2010, 04:51:29 PM »
I've read the rules, and I really need to go having my eyes checked  :'( (that font-size is really not good for me - I find it helpful to put the page in a clear plastic-sleeve, though - it is as if the plastic makes the text stand out a bit better;  maybe it's the 'shiny' surface...  ???  )

They look good. As with other rules, I'll need to try them out to fully get the idea, but my first impression is, they seem easy to pick up.

I would agree with those who missed some rules for psychology/morale, as just slugging it out to last man standing always seemed a bit odd to me, but I see that somebody has already made something - and already somebody had a go at character rules, too, which is up my alley, as I like small character/story/plot driven skirmishes/adventure scenarios.

I shall definitely try the base one-page rules before adding anythng, though, just with a handfull of minis on each side.

Will be interesting to follow further developments!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2010, 05:44:28 PM »
It's definitely on my list. I should point out that I'm a fan of the Original Series so I'll probably concentrate on theat 'era'.

Excellent I await it

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
  • "We grow old because we stop playing" - GBS
    • Cheshirekat's Hobby Corner
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2010, 07:50:04 PM »
I have been reworking my morale supplement (if mine is the one to which you are referring) and hope to have it up in the next 24!

Cheers,

Jason

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2010, 08:51:25 AM »
I have been reworking my morale supplement (if mine is the one to which you are referring) and hope to have it up in the next 24!

Rats!  I've just been formatting the FUBAR X.0 one page alternate rules sheet and guess what took pride of place... yup your morale rules.  Now where is that Recycle Bin...?

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2010, 08:58:18 AM »
Hi Argonor

I would agree with those who missed some rules for psychology/morale, as just slugging it out to last man standing always seemed a bit odd to me, but I see that somebody has already made something ...

We are working on a few amendments for the Third Edition that should help there. Here is an exclusive preview of the current thought on the wording:
"Units that fail to activate are On Guard. If they have taken more than 50% casualties they withdraw 6”/15cm away from the nearest visible enemy, or towards their deployment point if there are none. "

There is some ongoing discussion on whether we should make the withdrawal subject to a second dice roll or automatic. As Editor I am veering towards the automatic withdrawal as it meets with one of the core principles of FUBAR - namely KISS [Keep It Short & Simple].

And if that doesn't float your boat, there is always Hrothgar's excellent alternate Morale rules.

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
  • "We grow old because we stop playing" - GBS
    • Cheshirekat's Hobby Corner
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2010, 02:28:12 PM »
I just posted an overhauled morale supplement to the Yahoo group for anyone interested. I see it being useful for certain types of games, but I am sure FUBAR 3.0 will be great as-is as well!

Cheers,

Jason

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2010, 06:07:45 PM »
Have been trying to follow the morale discussion, but did not quite manage to, as I have only time for a quick browse now and then (am totally entangled in paint brushes and -rolls (not the miniature ones, alas)).

1½ week from now I should begin having a little more time in the evenings and the weekends... I hope... as our old rented house will then have been turned over to the landlord.

I already have several requests from some of my gaming buddies to meet up and push some lead around, so I sincerely hope to be able to try out the rules 'live' soon.

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2010, 08:02:53 PM »
I am well impressed with the rules V3 looks real good and the morale/casualty option seems to work ... have made an Afghan list and scenario page and put them over at the yahoo group ... this may well be the set of rules for my club who all seem intent on not playing Ambush Alley or THW stuff for some reason but want more figures than my Flying Lead puts on the table.

Rich J
Rich J

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2010, 01:57:17 PM »
Craig
I have just sent you an personal email with my queries/corrections for Forge of War. Don't take them as criticism, I am really looking forward to giving these a go.

Regards
John

Offline adlerhobby

• Librarian
    • Adler Hobby
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2010, 05:08:20 PM »
Hello everyone
Im sorta new to this forum and just read this entire thread as well as many others looking for some ideas for post apocalyptic & sci fi gaming, Id like to do a Fallout New Vegas game and wondering if you think this set of rules would work for a group game of say 6 players with one squad each made up of 6 figures (+ or -)?
Thanks
Gordon
Gordon
Adler Hobby NH USA
www.adlerhobby.com
Stop by our fun Black powder Group!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BlackpowderNE/

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2010, 06:17:53 PM »
I just posted a VSF implementation of FUBAR - you can find it on the files section of the Forge of War yahoo group.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2010, 09:44:36 AM »
Im sorta new to this forum and just read this entire thread as well as many others looking for some ideas for post apocalyptic & sci fi gaming, Id like to do a Fallout New Vegas game and wondering if you think this set of rules would work for a group game of say 6 players with one squad each made up of 6 figures (+ or -)?

Hi Gordon,

I'm not sure FUBAR would work so well in the scenario you describe. Any game with six separate players can be a nightmare to organize and ensure everyone remains engaged in play as they wait their turns.

I have played in a game with two players a side, and 2-3 squads each. This worked because we could have players in different quarters of the table working almost simultaneously, at least until units became engaged.

Another game we played had three distinct sides, each with 2-3 squads and this was slower, though still manageable, due to the simplicity and quickness of the rules.

I hope that this helps,
Craig.

Offline Smoke3

• Schoolboy
  • Duty Now for the Future!
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2010, 09:26:54 PM »
I've been a member of the Forge of War group for nearly a year, I have downloaded all the rules, supplements, and stared in glossy eyed wonder at the battle reports. Yet, I have not played a single game.  If anyone is in the Denver, Colorado Metro area and would like a willing partner to try out FUBAR or Forge of War drop me line. "I'm your huckleberry."   ( ;) sorry, Tombstone was on the other night)

Offline YIU

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2010, 03:35:50 PM »
I uploaded game counters and FUBAR Core Rules in French.

I should play my first game in 2 days.
I wish I were an octopus to paint more miniatures...Cthulhu must be a great painter