Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:02:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690929
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Old West Towns in Model Form?  (Read 2951 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Old West Towns in Model Form?
« on: August 24, 2010, 03:44:10 AM »
Okay, so to date the 'biggest' wild west town model I've seen was one in an old issue of Wargames Illustrated.  Can anyone point me to others I can study as I embark on my own project:

Rottenwood - 50 'blanks' to eventually be 100 false front buildings, half one story and half two story.  If that seems crazy...well.  But, keep in mind my version will be in 15 mm so not as daunting as it may seem.  Spent the weekend cutting out all the components and now its a couple of weeks of gluing and clamping until all those 'blanks' are assembled.  Then its on to the detailing.

So, as you can see, the inspiration of others can serve me well.  Naturally, I've been following what is posted here but, beautiful as they are, I've only seen towns that maybe go up to about a dozen buildings or so.  I guess I'm a little more megalomaniac than that.

Look forward to any good ideas.  (already know about the 'live' western towns that can be found on the web, more interested in seeing what others did in model form.)

Thanks!

FifteensAway casting off

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
Re: Old West Towns in Model Form?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 05:43:01 PM »
Not planning anything by halves, are you! Although, in 15mm you might get away with it.  Large towns in 28mm are rare, mainly because of the 'large' part.  Where would you park it?

Off the top of my head, I came up with this one.  Not large by any means but some nice modelling.

http://gidian-gelaende.de/Material_HP/Wolfgang/Westerngelaende/album/index.html
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 01:10:45 AM »
Archangel,

Not a large town in your link but certainly rich with ideas.  Especially liked the silver mine, gave me some good ideas for my copper mine.  Loved all the interior detailing and, while I'm including some, I'm not planning to go to the extent this excellent modeler did.

Thanks for the reply.

And, no, I don't go in for half way projects.  For my pirates?  Five separate 'towns' planned, but none so large, only about ten buildings each and already all acquired, just need some paint and maybe a bit of modification.

But my Wild West town is a bit of a passion so I'm really going all out.

As to where will it park?  In the garage when not in use on the gaming table.  I'm as much - or more - a modeler than I am a gamer.  Not as good as the ones who post here but its more about doing something I enjoy than creating works of art.  But I strife to improve all the time.

FifteensAway casting off

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 04:30:17 AM »
Well, in the States here at the HMGS-E cons Leo walsh always puts on a huge huge HUGE Wild West town. If i can find some pics i will post the links for you. Maybe someone else has taken part as well. :-)

Grimm

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 07:14:59 PM »

I think that's a great town. Very nicely done, and motivating me to work on my Old West terrain. Are the cactus scratch-built, or a model?

One miniature is too many, and a thousand are not enough...