Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:06:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Zombie Reading and Viewing Recommendations  (Read 6237 times)

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
Re: Zombie Reading and Viewing Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 05:58:43 PM »
i had no idea the aurhor of the morningstar saga had died. i guess i should stop waiting for the final book now.

Ialways liked this version of the opening to 28weeks later

Also , Night of the Living Trekkies ,  not  as funny as it thinks it is,moderatley passable at best.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 06:03:04 PM by dexter »

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 03:32:04 AM »
Aren't they going to do another 28 Day/Weeks type movie?

28 Months Later maybe?
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 07:00:41 AM »
Just saw this on TMP is a riot "he does know he's not a really klingon"
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline tjantzen

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 07:48:15 AM »
I would also recommend the Autumn serie by David Moody
http://www.djmoody.co.uk/
Also a great read. Not a classical zombie novel per se but a interesting take on  a world of the living dead and survivors.
you might find some of the books online for free download

regards
thomas
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 12:50:33 PM by tjantzen »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 12:07:47 PM »
Day by Day Armageddon and the second book in the series are excellent reads. By far in my opioin one of the best zombie series I have ever read.

Yup really enjoyed them both. Not really into comics. I have lots of Zombie novels a series by Len Bernhard(t?) are very good and I think he normally writes walking dead or some such

http://www.reignofthedead.com/
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 12:12:56 PM by Lowtardog »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 12:11:04 PM »
I would also recommend the Autum serie by David Moody
http://www.djmoody.co.uk/
Also a great read. Not a classical zombie novel per se but a interesting take on  a world of the living dead and survivors.
you might find some of the books online for free download

regards
thomas

Yes loved the series much more frightening than the Zombies eating flesh for me, they made a rather naff movie a while back to
 but to be fair the first book is more about setting the scene with characters etc than pure action and there was a bit of controversy over the movie being leaked on U tube. The film has been on UK Horror Channel since

http://autumnthemovie.blogspot.com/

There is an audio version on the Darker Projects website for the first book. His Hater books are great and worth reading also.

http://www.darkerprojects.com/index.php

« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 12:19:08 PM by Lowtardog »

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
The walking dead is very good , Id also recomend "Crossed" as a comic book very very adult and nasty , it is extreemly well done.

Tony

Offline Eldorf.Dragonsbane

• Librarian
  • Zombie Game Fan
    • Doug's Land of the Dead
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »
Heres what i have right at hand, granted its not my complete collection.

Cell by Stephen King- While not really a zombie story per say those infected by the strange signal do exhibit some zombie like characteristics.

Eden by Tony Monchinski- One of the Permuted Press published zombie books. Takes place in a fortified compound in what used to be Queens, New York that the survivors have named Eden. I just pourchased this book and am about to start reading it.

Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks- No explination needed since most of us already know of it.

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks- Again another book by Max Brooks that should need no explanation.

The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks by Max Brooks- A graphic novelization of some of the zombie outbreaks from history that are found in the back of the Zombie Survival Guide.

Patient Zero by Johnathan Maberry- Already recommended by others.

Twilight of the Dead by Travis Adkins- Another Permuted Press published book.

After Twilight: Walking with the Dead by Travis Adkins- Another Permuted Press published book. The sequal to Twilight of the Dead.

History is Dead: A zombie Anthology published by Permuted Press.

The Living Dead published by night Shade Books. A zombie anthology, it contains stories from a good number of authors including Stephen King and Clive Barker.

Season of Rot by Eric S. Brown, Another Permuted Press published book. This one contains five zombie novellas written by Eric S. Brown.

U.S. Army Zombie Combat Skills published by Lyons Press. This book is supposed to be a Department of the Army manual on how to combat zombies. A good number of the illustrations in it are actually from Military manuals, though they have been modified some to have zombies, warnings of zombies, etc... in them. The weapons and equipment pictures are a good example of modified images, they use actual military document images as a base then they added "custom" paint jobs to the equipment such as a flame paint job on the M240B machine gun image or the words Eat Flaming Life!! being painted on the barrel of the M72 LAW. The actual content of the book has been drawn from real military manuals, though they have added the zombie aspect to the material, other then references to the Undead in the book it looks to be almost all factual information. I have only skimmed it and did quick comparisons to some of the actual US Army Manuals I have.

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2010, 02:00:21 PM »
For viewing, I think the beginning of 28 Weeks Later is one of the best opening sequences for a horror movie ever. Never mind the rest of the film, the start of that film is great zombie stuff.

Edit:

Zombie chase to the river was one of the greatest scenes I ever saw! Love 28 Week and Days Later, and also 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead. Also I am BIG fan of Left 4 Dead game series! 

Offline ryoden

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 03:16:49 PM »
TRy the book 'Patient Zero' by Jonathan Mayberry (2009, ISBN 978 0 575 08690 6 (cased) 978 0 575 08692 0 (trade paperback) published by Orion Publishing Group (www.orionbooks.co.uk)
It is subtitled - Zombies - the new bio weapon and is a good companion read to World War Z

I agree, patient zero is an excellent zombie read.
The richest man is not he who has the most but he who needs the least.

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 05:28:52 PM »
Dead Beat- a British outbreak set in a small coastal town.A good page turner and some good charactor insights into the sanity issue living with the dead(if you know what I mean ::))
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.