Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:10:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: VSF 28mm Egyptian Landship  (Read 35895 times)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
VSF 28mm Egyptian Landship
« on: September 08, 2010, 01:26:29 PM »
To offset the tremendous firepower of the USS Blunderbuss, my Egyptian/Prussian alliance will be receiving a monster landship.  The goal here is not only to create a counterbalance to the American 'nef, but to build it in such a way as to be more than a prop on the table.  Thus, it needs to be big, but not too big that you can't move it about.

So here are the basic materials I'm starting with.

First the hull:

This is a wooden boat built by local craftsmen that cost me a princely sum of 2.50 euros.

Arriving this morning is the tractor I bought from Amazon.

Of course, the tracks will be mounted underneath the landship after I dismantle the tractor.  Here is a 'magination shot of what I'm looking to do:

As with all good plans, they immediately go to hell once you begin execution.  I'd hoped the tracks of the tractor would be sufficiently large enough to power the landship by itself.  But when I look at the two matched together I think the tracks aren't long enough.  I'm thinking I'm going to have to get a couple wheels to place up forward with the tracks placed center/aft.

Dunno... what'ca think?

The hull will receive the first work as I armor plate it and then I will add the undercarriage, so I have some time to think it over.

Anyway, still have lots of building dudads enroute, but construction will begin in short order.

Wonder how this one will turn out...  o_o

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Re: VSF 28mm Egyptian Landship
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 01:43:02 PM »
The phrase "Blame it on Ray Rivers..." seems to spring to mind. This is going to be another awesome build :)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 01:46:21 PM »
The boat looks jolly interesting, where did it come from ?

As for the tracks question, maybe you could mount them towards the stern and add a second (smaller) set of tracks near the bow ?
Might look like large rear tracks for traction and front ones for steering perhaps ?

Alternately, tracks towards the stern and a large ski towards the bow, like a sort of Scandinavian half-track (engineering that the Prussians would be familiar with).
A ski should be suitable for sandy terrain.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 01:46:58 PM »
awesome!Reminds me on the French WW1 Tanks  ;D As for the Length of the Tracks i would add a steering wheel at the Rear Section  8)

Offline mondria

• Librarian
    • midnight greys
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 02:16:48 PM »
nice big monster as for the tracks how about a double set of tracks same os the ones you have now if the tracks are to long some nice big venders with gun turrets

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 03:33:52 PM »
Thanks for the input guys!

The landship will be operating, at least initially, on the mountain plateaus of venus.   :o

Ski steering, though perhaps not quite appropriate for Venus is a very kewl idea.

Double tracks would work well on Venus...  :) but I don't know if I want to buy another trackor.  We'll think about that one.

I do like the idea of mounting a steering wheel in the aft section, though that may cause stablity problems.

All good ideas which I will bear in mind, but I think I will need to dissemble the tractor first to see what I can actually do, though placement tests seem to indicate that the best place for the tracks is in the rear.

This may be complicated...

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 03:34:48 PM »

I found it in shop... locally made.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 05:29:45 PM »

I've seen them at various crafts stores, and I think my local Hobbycraft had some in various sizes as "seasonal goods" for the summer period (garden and conservatory decorations), both painted and unpainted.

As for the length of the tracks, I'd support the "trench roller" proposal (as seen on the St. Chamond Tank); I can't find an image where you can see them, though. Not that they worked properly, but if you add one or more of those steam engine wheels cut in half (or placed in recesses, whatever works more easily), that could look suitably victorian. Alternatively, you could have a big skid in front, although that might be more VSF-Scandinavian than VSF-Egyptian.

Also, that round part at the front just cries out to be turned into a machine gun casemate.

I must admit that I had hoped for a steam-powered sphinx tank when I saw the header, but this is looking very promising. If you pull it off correctly (which I'm confident you'll do!), it has great potential to display this "slightly obsolete ironclad" flair associated with several of 19th century navies, as compared to the more advanced ships of the Imperialist powers.

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 06:11:41 PM »
What about a massive steam roller style wheel in the front to flatten the enemies of Egypt.

Prof
----------
http://worldhistoryprof.blogspot.com/

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
Is it possible to extend the tracks you have. On most tracked vehicles the top of the tracks are hidden up inside the vehicle. Split the track you have on the top. Extend the metal section between the tracks using plastic card or something. You could almost double the length of track like that.
Won't work if you want the tracks to actually work so you can push it around going VROOOM, VROOOM lol

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 07:27:30 PM »
Ski steering, though perhaps not quite appropriate for Venus is a very kewl idea.

To be fair, I'm not so familiar with Venus.
Do they not have sandy deserts ?

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 07:30:06 PM »
Alternatively, you could have a big skid in front, although that might be more VSF-Scandinavian than VSF-Egyptian.

Totally misread that one - at first I read it as "a big skirt in front" and my immediate thought was something with lots of silver coins, like a belly dancer....

I either need to get my eyes tested agian or check on the medication.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 07:57:22 PM »
Totally misread that one - at first I read it as "a big skirt in front" and my immediate thought was something with lots of silver coins, like a belly dancer....

I either need to get my eyes tested agian or check on the medication.

You're not the only one - I obviously overread you making that suggestion a couple of posts back... :-X

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 08:55:45 PM »
What about a massive steam roller style wheel in the front to flatten the enemies of Egypt.

You have a twisted mind, Prof.  Though the idea is very interesting...   ;D

Is it possible to extend the tracks you have. On most tracked vehicles the top of the tracks are hidden up inside the vehicle. Split the track you have on the top. Extend the metal section between the tracks using plastic card or something. You could almost double the length of track like that.
Won't work if you want the tracks to actually work so you can push it around going VROOOM, VROOOM lol

Yes, I have to admit the opportunity to actually push it around has it's "this is fun" merits.   :D

Extending the tracks, however, is indeed an option.

And for those who don't know... you can check out the Venus scenario in the VSF section here at LAF, but basically Venus was discovered to be a highly dense jungle environment with raising mesas where settlements are placed.

Now back to trying to figure out how to tear apart this tractor...  o_o

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 09:22:57 PM »
I think the suggested big steam powered roller would look cool.