Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:16:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691054
  • Total Topics: 118367
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [COMMERCIAL] Brother Vinni's miniatures  (Read 256234 times)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Brother Vinni's miniatures
« Reply #345 on: March 21, 2014, 07:05:02 AM »
I appreciate them. Nudity doesn´t spoil them. There are enough clad combat miniatures, but only a few for pulpy and cartoony action. Well done Bother Vinni!

I rather like them too. Who would have though,Michi and I liking the same miniatures ;)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #346 on: March 21, 2014, 07:33:01 AM »
Nothing wrong with bare skin.

The problem is suspending one's disbelief in situations when you wouldn't normally have bare skin.

What, like when floating on a giant sea shell? :D
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #347 on: March 21, 2014, 11:55:34 AM »

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #348 on: March 21, 2014, 11:37:12 PM »
I have been thinking... :o

A lot of the Catachan figures are bare chested or at least wearing just flak armour,so why not the women of the same outfit? It's sort of silly to suggest that the women should be 'covered up' just because they are women.

I shall now duck.

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
« Reply #349 on: March 22, 2014, 12:33:04 AM »
Having known a women, I must point out the harm that one can do to ones back if one neglects to wear supporting clothing when exercising.

lol

MM.

former user

« Reply #350 on: March 22, 2014, 05:21:32 AM »
A lot of the Catachan figures are bare chested or at least wearing just flak armour,so why not the women of the same outfit? It's sort of silly to suggest that the women should be 'covered up' just because they are women.

true, if You regard the nude aspect. but that's not the point, at least not mine.
one argument You can read above, another is the sensitivity of the area in question. And some of these figures have only underwear on their butts. try to take cover like this, jump into undergrowth throw Yourself unto gravel...

besides, since You mention catachans - the original starting point of these were Vietnam habits of going sleeveless. The metal set had no barechested figures and looked normal muscular. The plastic sprues jumped to 2 bare torsos from five - I personally never liked that and neither liked the steroid beefyness - then they returned to more normal with the heavy weapon and command sprue.
And, to jump on to the next media - the Spartans in 300 - I understand the shout-out to the classical heroic nudity, but for a movie that wanted to pair aesthetics with some kind of reality in the grittyness of the fight scenes that failed totally. Naked greeks in the gymnasion, fine. In battle, only on pottery please.
Back to miniatures - Hasslefree's vast collection that ranges from innocent to teazy posing, or stays in the fantasy realm. Putting them in modern style uniforms breaks the "suspension of disbelief". It is the context that matters in my eyes.

if one regards @Michi's collection (to pick a random example  ;)), the difference is the tongue in cheek "pin-up" style he displays.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #351 on: March 22, 2014, 05:57:19 AM »
Having known a woman

Come on... now I know you're having us on. Women are just a legend someone made up on the internet. Check Snopes before you post that kind of wild claim.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

former user

« Reply #352 on: March 22, 2014, 06:01:09 AM »
not being able to sleep makes me think about why some of us are apparently uncomfortable with some of brother Vinni's miniatures (me too). Well here is my subjective personal "revelation"

first of all, Brother Vinni is a very skilled and good sculptor, who brings a very naturalistic quality to his work. No pulpy or comic style, no exaggerated heroic scale creep, but a certain realistic rawness. This is a great quality, and especially nowadays when the pendulum swings back to actually scaled miniatures.
Well pair that with the sexploitation style kinkyness most of the females he has in his own range come along with, and we have a very personal style not everyone can identify with.
Now wargaming is possible only by filtering out the unpleasant stuff of war - We want to play tacticians and paint fancy uniforms and vehicles, but the sheer overwhelming mayhem of human misery that comes along with war can only be hinted at. Noone (that I've known) games prisoner execution, torture, rape, mass graves, civilian casualties, collateral damage etc. Occasionally some of us include medics or the wounded caretaking, and that we applaud as "realistic". But the reality of covering the tabletop with at least 1/3 casualties plus dead and wounded civilians, this is not wargaming, this would be anti-wargaming, like anti-war movies. These two things don't go together.
If I now recognize this aspect in especially the unique miniatures that realistically depict violence against women (and I believe it is rather these miniatures we have in mind in the first place), the "victimization" that our enlightended western culture constantly (and rightfully) condemns, I can only conclude that these aspects of Brother Vinni's choice of motives in sculpting are what make us uncomfortable and cause so much discussion. They break our fairytale shades we look through when wargaming.....

So Brother Vinni, please continue enriching the wargaming world with Your unique style
(and put some pants on those kinky catachan lasses  ;))

whoever feels I am exaggerating or does not find himself covered here, remember it's only my personal peek to the looking glass, but just give it a thought....

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:12:03 AM by bedwyr »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #353 on: March 22, 2014, 09:17:28 AM »
So Brother Vinni, please continue enriching the wargaming world with Your unique style
(and put some pants on those kinky catachan lasses  ;))

Don't do it!!!  :D

Darrell.

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #354 on: March 27, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »
I really love some of Brother Vinns work so these make me sigh with disappointment and I think they are a business mistake. Here's a question for everyone ...

who here is going to buy these and then field them on the table?

Lets have a show of hands.

Option A Semi nude female jungle fighters?

Or

Option B Combat dressed female jungle fighters?

I dont know how to do a voting poll on these forums but the answer to the above would be interesting.

Personally  I am for Option B

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #355 on: March 28, 2014, 07:27:40 AM »
B
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #356 on: March 28, 2014, 10:06:23 AM »
He's an artist. He makes what he enjoys himself, hopes other people like them too, and sells some when they do. Pretty sure he'll carry on doing the same sort of stuff, because it's obviously what he likes.
Don't think it's any more complicated than that, and I don't think you're going to change him :)

former user

« Reply #357 on: March 28, 2014, 10:10:16 AM »
He's an artist. He makes what he enjoys himself, hopes other people like them too, and sells some when they do. Pretty sure he'll carry on doing the same sort of stuff, because it's obviously what he likes.

2nd that
and always preferring diversity, so what I wrote before
please don't change  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #358 on: March 28, 2014, 10:30:40 AM »
2nd that
and always preferring diversity, so what I wrote before
please don't change  :)

Yep, makes sense to me... the moment he stops doing things for himself is the moment he might stop sculpting altogether!

Darrell.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #359 on: March 28, 2014, 10:33:41 AM »
Don't think it's any more complicated than that, and I don't think you're going to change him :)

I second (or third? or fourth?) that.

IIRC Brother Vinni has previously written that he makes nude females because he likes making them.

These are not for me but if they are for him and his like-minded fellows and are within the forum rules then fine: I am not going to try and discourage or encourage.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)