Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:24:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Non-GW Space Marine Troops  (Read 12612 times)

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Non-GW Space Marine Troops
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 07:55:08 PM »
So is this TrueScale a 1:1 modelling project? Games using full sized replicas? Sounds interesting!

A True Scale Marine is not a 1:1 scale thingy, it's an attempt to make Space Marines look like they are described in the fluff, as bulking Warmachines.
Mainly you have two ways to build them, by using the legs from Terminators or by cuting an normal mini into pieces and put some spacers in.
I do the second way.

To give you an idea of how they scale up, just some pics from WarSeer, minis made by Synapse:

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 08:00:49 PM »
Sounds very interesting

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 08:23:06 PM »
Damn you Comsquare every time I see truescale marines I get tempted to cut up the deathwing army I have sat gathering dust since I stopped playing 40k.
 :)

Synapse does have some brilliant pieces, though for me while he has the terminator armour proportioned just right the arms of his marines seem to be a little long...closer to knee length than groin length. That is something I do tend to notice with a lot of truescale marines but they are still certainly much better proportioned than the regular marines which are anatomically rediculous.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 08:23:36 PM »
I once gave the 'true-scale' thing a go...

He's a Chaos Warsmith in Terminator armour...the other one is a standard Terminator...

I started with one of the old plastic Terminators and kept going...

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 08:30:49 PM »
Great stuff, Inso :o
Will never reach that level.

@ Viper
Agree with the arms, but Synapse's minis are one of the finest TrueScale I ever saw, though.
Even f he uses Terminator-legs ;)

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 09:05:24 PM »
So much sculpting work Inso, and all of it brilliant.
 :)

Yeah Comsquare, aside from the arms, which could easily just be a personal thing, everything else from the build to the paint job is just stunning with Synapse.

I don't mind the terminator legs as a starting point myself, though I have seen a lot of different methods from bulking out and extending the regular marine legs to scratch building a whole new set of legs, and then the terminator legs with a vast array of levels of work done to them, from just using them clean to cutting, reposing and doing a lot of sculpting.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 10:41:45 PM »
Agreed all of the good work on old beakies and true-scaleTMMarines makes me feel rather bad about my own meager efforts....

Some very good work there from one and all, I really love the old RT Military Police models, superb :-*

I miss the old days of 40k, when you could do anything you wanted and still play in-store and there were no official-only models allowed, them`s were the days!

Thanks for the inspiration guys

SW
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 12:03:29 PM »
Doghouse started the ball rolling over on B&C and the W.I.P forums (under Greydeath) with some really nice tru-scale marines, worth digging them out for reference purposes, though again that those world eaters are nice too.

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 12:44:15 PM »
I remember when the newer version of plasic space marines came out they actually were somewhat bigger than the average human. after that, the new imperial guard were as big as space marines.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline spevna

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2010, 01:08:50 PM »
I'm actually doing something pretty similar but im using SpaceLords BunkerBreakers as SpaceMarines and Old Crow tanks for Razorbacks.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 12:00:20 AM »
Agreed all of the good work on old beakies and true-scaleTMMarines makes me feel rather bad about my own meager efforts....

There's nothing wrong with using the Viridian Marines as a basis as they are really nice figures, I used them myself as Enforcers in Necromunda. The idea to swap the heads with Pig Iron miniatures is also a good idea as the turtle helmets they have are a bit awkward. I'm looking forward to seeing your "Space Marine" army! 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins