Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:10:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689697
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: VSF spaceship combat game?  (Read 5113 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: VSF spaceship combat game?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 01:19:52 PM »
I would have thought that deep-sea and deep-aether actions would be very similar both in terms of technology as well as tactics. Essentially a self-contained, pressurised vessel moving in three dimensions. Although I guess you wouldn't have galvanic discharge weapons underwater....  ;)

Actually, I don't recall much deep sea action in VSF, either.

Attacks are made against surface vessels, but I can't remember a single sub on sub battle. I've visions of a few hand-to-hand, but that isn't exactly what you have in mind, right?

Still, if you come up with examples, I'll be delighted!

Doug

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 03:34:58 PM »
True, I can't think of any sub-to-sub actions either, so that's not much use, is it?  :?

I guess if you are having to depart from 'canon' works (i.e. Verne, Wells etc), then might you not draw inspiration from a lot of space opera? So much of Star Wars/Trek/Babylon 5 ship-to-ship combat is on such a close scale, far closer than even WW1 naval engagements, that it might offer something useful.

I'm just typing as I think, here, so it's not exactly reasoned comment I'm afraid!

Offline Micman

• Lurker
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 02:52:53 PM »
My group uses Space 1889 for ship combat, not in space, but there are lots of ship descriptions there. As far as I know it is OOP but there are still copies around.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 06:44:52 AM »
I think the new War Rocket retro stuff wouldn't be half bad as VSF space adventure stuff.

Just a thought.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 11:33:17 AM »
I think the new War Rocket retro stuff wouldn't be half bad as VSF space adventure stuff.

Just a thought.

The ships, rules, and/or fluff to model what Mr Rab seeks? I've only played an early demo on the game, so I've only a vague recollection of the rules, but don't see them as particularly better suited to most others. I've seen next to 'nuthin of the fluff, so have to pass, but have to say a few of the ships would not have the addition of stacks or solar mirror, your choice, be much amiss.

Cogitating on another track, I do recall seeing a VSF role playing group's blog using the name HMS(?) Enterprise, but have no recollection if they came up with ship combat. This may be a job for some Google-fu...

Doug

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
I've come across the Enterprise site before - can't find the site at the moment - and it is an interesting steampunk take on Star Trek.

What I was really after was the ship models, and if there were good rules attached it would be a bonus. Otherwise I would modify something like Battlefleet Gothic and use that set of rules, or even Aeronuatica Imperialis (Aethernautica?). I have my own 'fluff' - coming soon (well, one day, perhaps) to a bookstore near you!  ::)

I'm not familiar with War Rocket and will investigate.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 12:35:25 AM »
Outside of converting sea-going ship figures into space-going ones, and otherwise doing full scratchbuilding, my favorite ship models that suggest, perhaps scream, Victorian, are the ancient and long OOP lead made for the TSR Star Frontiers games, and specifically the Federation.

Think of the Cavor sphere from First Men in the Moon replicated, stretched, squashed, and strung together.

Doug