Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:36:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689522
  • Total Topics: 118283
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: HEY! THAT STUFF IS OURS!  (Read 3674 times)

Offline DAWGIE

• Bookworm
HEY! THAT STUFF IS OURS!
« on: September 17, 2010, 04:23:09 PM »
 :)

BEEN  awhile since i have posted anything  on this forum, and, sadly, as always, i do not have any photos of pretty toys to eyeball.

all i have is a long lost AWI skirmish scenario that i just found this morning and i thought i might share it with y'all.   hope y'all like it, and even give it a spin with wotever rules that y'all like for skirmishing in the black powder era.

NTRODUCTION

A long time ago, in a galaxy, far, far away - STOP!  Wrong intro! Wake up DAWGIE  and  join the rest of the world!   

HMMMM.. . . .   a long time ago i was held captive during a family get together for another viewing of THE PATRIOT.  not a bad movie, just  kinda HOLLYWEIRD take on the AWI in the SOUTHERN COLONIES . . .

ANYWAY, during the viewing i had a brain movement!

Just a little bitty one , but still a brain movement!

Now  i have not tried this idea out yet, but it should work out.

THE rules are modified CHAIN REACTION 1.0 from THW., but can be easily adapted to later versions of CR, or any other set of rules that y'all prefer.  the miniatures and terrain are all 25-mm scale, but y'all can easily use 15-mm for this skirmish.

THE  game table i  have 5 foot by 5 foot, but, larger or smaller, tables will work fine., however i recommend the 3 foot by 3 foot size table recommended by THW as the smallest size to use regardless of scale.

1. TIME

1781, year of our lord, late in the afternoon.

2. PLACE

SOMEWHERE in one of the southern colonies, on a woodland roadway.

3. WEATHER

HOT, muggy, buggy. Gloomy visibility.

4. TERRAIN

THE  roadway runs down the center of the table, and is wide enough for two (2) horsemen riding side by side,  one (1) cart  or wagon,  or two (2) files of infantry.  The woods and undergrowth are thick and grow almost to the edge of the roadway.  Low hills overlook the roadway from both sides. On one side of the roadway, say six (6) inches distant, is  an ankle deep stream frunning the same direction as the roadway. 

5. THE SITUATION

ONE of LORD CORNWALLIS'  foraging parties is on its way back to camp, loaded down with ill gotten gains, taken at gunpoint from local  PATRIOTS homesteads. this act has kinda irked some of the local boys, who have decided that they have had enough, and they want their property back . . .

6. THE LOBSTERBACKS

A. TWO (2) mounted officers, REP-3 and REP-4, each with sword, loaded flintlock pistols X 2 each in saddle holsters.  they are riding side by side at the head of the forage party. 

B.  SERGEANT, REP-4, with  loaded, slung musket and sheathed bayonet, is leading a double file of  eight (9 bods total) redcoats armed  loaded, slung muskets and sheathed bayonets.  these guys are slogging along  behind the officers and  in front of the first wagon/cart. the rankers are  half REP-4 and half REP-3.

C.  TWO (2)  wagons or carts, drawn by a pair of horses, mules, or oxen. each vehicle has a REP-3 redcoat driver with a loaded musket propped against the seat next to him, and a sheathed bayonet.  wagons/carts are loaded with  "stuff" foraged from the local REBEL  scum.   these  vehicles are behind the first  squad of infantry, and in front of the second squad of infantry. 

D. CORPORAL, REP-4, with loaded, slung musket and sheathed bayonet, leading a double file of eight (8) redcoats (9 bods total) these guys are slogging along behind the wagons/carts.

7. THE PATRIOTS

A.  ELIJAH, REP-6, frenzied, armed with two (2) loaded flintlock pistols, big knife,  tomahawk (all thrust behind his belt) and five (5) loaded muskets (4 prepositioned, loaded, ready to go).  ELIJAH does not approve of  redcoats taking his property at gunpoint . ELIJAH is a solo deployment.

B. NATHAN  and DANIEL, REP-2, two (2) loaded muskets each plus belt  knives ,and tomahawks.  these are the  teenage sons of ELIJAH.  deployed together.  NATHAN, the older is the designated shooter, and his brother DANIEL is the designated loader.

C.  JEDIDIAH and ABSALOM, REP-4,  two (2) loaded muskets each, knives and tomahawks.  these are two of ELIJAH's  neighbors, and  , like ELIJAH, veterans of the FRENCH AND INDIAN WAR.  they, too, are a tad aggravated that the soldiers "liberated" their property. deployed together.

(YAR, i know.  i cheated and added two guys who were not there during the  movie skirmish! shame on OLE DAWGIE!)

8. DEPLOYMENT

A.  REDCOATS must be deployed on the roadway along with the two vehicles.

B.  PATRIOTS must be deployed in hiding in the woods,with a line of sight to the roadway, on either side of the roadway.

9.   SPECIAL RULES

A.  THE  redcoats MUST be deployed on the roadway along with the two (2) wagons/carts. the redcoats are assumed to pretty much have their noggins inside of their collective dark, damp, smelly, redcoat rectum,  so they are not expecting any trouble at all.  the redcoats cannot move off the roadway or act/react (except for plodding along) until the PATRIOT  ambush is sprung on them.

B. REDCOATS  activated and move first until the ambush is sprung (ie, the PATRIOTS open fire on them from the woods). normal activation procedures  follow the ambush volley. 

C.  THE  redcoats are "hat companies", ie, regular line infantry.  they will attempt to move and fight in the traditional massed firing lines, by volley, from the roadway and in  the woods. normally they will break formation only to charge home with the fixed bayonet. LOL, of course CR reaction checks might  cause things to happen a bit differently one the poo hits the rotating fan blades!

D. ELIJAH and company must be deployed in the woods.  they cannot change positions or do anything except lurk until the ambush is sprung when ELIJAH lets fly with the first shot;  this is the signal for everyone else to shoot!  normal activation procedures follow the ambush volly.

E.  ELIJAH can place his extra loaded muskets anywhere inside the woods he desires, as long as they are all on the same side of the woods he is in. he is assumed to know the way from one preplanned firing position to the next. ELIJAH springs the ambush at the spot he has chosen.

F. ELIJAH's instructions to his sons are very specific; they are to remain in their shooting position, hosing the redcoats down with hot lead.  they are NOT to get involved in any CQC, and they are run like the wind  to the rendezvous point if the fight  favors the  redcoats, or if, they see ELIJAH bite the big one! 

G. SPECIAL LOADING RULE is in effect for NATHAN  and DANIEL.  when they are active, the loader does nothing but reload discharged  muskets and pass them to the shooter.  this ensures a ready supply of loaded weapons for the shooter.  however, the loader can and will use a loaded musket  in self defense or defense of his brother, if any redcoat target  appears to  close to the boys position.

H. JEDIDIAH and ABSOLUM  are free to move about as desired after the ambush volly is fired. if the fight goes against them,  they are supposed to get ELIJAH's boys safely to the rendevous point, if possible. if they are not able to do this, they are supposed to boogey for the rendezvous point and meet with the others later.

NOW,  let us see how well MEL - er - ELIJAH does on the tabletop . . .

DAWGIE

BFG-5000: DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!

Offline DAWGIE

• Bookworm
Re: HEY! THAT STUFF IS OURS!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 07:30:13 PM »
 HELLO ALL!

i have a question for y'all, if anyone cares to answer it.

QUESTION:  since i am not able to post photos with my batreps,  am i wasting my time posting here?  my intention is to share my games and scenario ideas with other folks (which is a dream come true with the www), as well as  enjoying their batreps (pictures do make these even moe beddah) and eyeballing their scenarios.

just a curious aulde fart wanting to know WTFO? 

0ver one hundred viewing (which is small be the standards of the huge forum), but i thought some one might offer suggestions or  instructions for self destruction after viewing. 

DAWGIE

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 07:38:40 PM »
Dawgie

I did just read all your second post and thought I had better reply - nothing worse than feeling ignored :'(

For me, I only skim most threads due to time limitations and pictures do speak a thousand words and catch the eye. I do not game much so will rarely comment on scenario/army list type posts.

Svennn
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 08:22:09 PM »
Hi Dawgie

I did read your first post as I was intrigued as to how you'd structured your game.  Lots of inspiration in there but I didn't make suggestions for you as it's not the sort of game I play. 

More generally speaking, there are a lot of posts I look at and enjoy but that I don't reply to .... it's a time thing, I'm afraid, and no reflection on the author's efforts.  That said, pictures are more likely to generate an immediate reaction from me as ours is very much a visual hobby.

You ask if there's merit in you posting but I'd ask what you get out of it?  I post loads because I like to document stuff and it helps me refine my thoughts - for me, comments and suggestions are therefore a bonus rather than an objective (unless the thread is of a "help, advice needed" nature).

:)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 09:00:29 PM »
Dawgie,

I've read and saved a lot of your other scenarios etc on other forums, like the solowargames Yahoogroup, 2HW etc. Your explanation of personal armour classes for 5150 is a good example. As far as I'm concerned they are usually a lot of fun to play and always make sense.

I don't have any AWI stuff at present, but I'm sure this can be easily adapted to other periods such as Pirates, Napoleonics, ACW etc.

Please keep posting this sort of stuff as it is great inspiration and as scenario design isn't easy, new ideas are always welcome  :D

Cheers,
Ian

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 09:15:22 PM »
AWI ain't my thing, pure and simple.

Though it must be said that in this very visual medium, without pretty pictures for us to drool over you are probably halving your chances of connecting with us zero-attention span types that inhabit the planet these days. Sad but possibly true.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 09:36:56 PM »
I tend to ignore posters who shouts (uses caps).

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 02:36:46 AM »
Hi Dawgie,

I have also saved quite a few of your scenarios and read many of your post on other forums and Yahoo Groups such as Moccasins.

More generally speaking, there are a lot of posts I look at and enjoy but that I don't reply to .... it's a time thing, I'm afraid, and no reflection on the author's efforts.  That said, pictures are more likely to generate an immediate reaction from me as ours is very much a visual hobby.

This pretty much sums up how I approach most forums I am a member of. Unfortunately, I don't get as much time on the PC now days so I tend to focus on threads of interest to me such as the F&IW, the ACW, VSF and Colonials and don't reply as often as I should.

Cheers,

Barry

Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline DAWGIE

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 03:45:19 PM »

I  thank y'all for your comments, and i do understand the problems of limited time available to a lot of folks, and i do understand the huge attention getter and impact of posting photos has on any batrep or scenario.

WHAT do i get out of this? 

well for one thing, i enjoy the simple pleasure of sharing some of my own ideas, and batreps with other folks on the www who are wargamers in the many different genres that i  play in.  i do not get paid, and i do not  ask to be paid when i do this.  this is a simple pleasure for me - like sharing the water in your canteen with a buddy when he runs dry,  splitting a CARE package from home with squad mates,  or just offering a mate your extra, dry, clean socks or towel when his are all yucky and he is in need.

another thing is that the www allows wargamers with like interests all over the planet to  contact each other, share their thoughts, scenarios, batreps, and photos with the same  ease as if they were sitting in some one's home or at the pub "debriefing" and BS over the day or evenings games events. 

as for allegedly shouting, well all i can say is that i am not shouting at all, just a creature of habit based on my military time and civvie job of many years. both required the use of caps for place names,  people names,  titles of orders or other documents.

in the very beginning of my www time, i used all caps a lot because this is what the box was set for to benefit an aged and distant relative who could not easily read small er letters and had not a clue as to how to change the font size. 

i never saw the caps as i was so acustomed to reading  and typing them.  sometimes, i still slip and do this when i am distracted by other stuff and on the www, so again , it is not shouting  on your scree to piss somoe one off. 

i also look at it this way - if y'all are so pre set in your ways as to ignor all MESSAGES OR TITLES THAT USE CAPS,  that is fine with me, and your loss if you might have been interested in what i was writing about, so, no sweat.

everyone have a nice day and week!  this is a nice place, these forums, and i have spent a lot of time lurking. 

DAWGIE

Offline mjkerner

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 07:00:16 PM »
Hey Dawgie,

Like Barry S above, I've always enjoyed your comments and batreps on a number of forums, starting with the old Colonial Wars one from 10-12 years ago.  And without the ALL CAPS, it just wouldn't be a message from you.  I say keep using 'em.

Mark