Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:26:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: More Water Merchants! [PICS]  (Read 6644 times)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
More Water Merchants! [PICS]
« on: September 26, 2010, 03:00:15 PM »
Some of you may remember my Post apocalyptic water merchants:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=14361.0

Well, they're back with backup!

Here are two group shots with the old models.

I've added the following:
- a large dump truck
- a tracked flatbed Unimog
- a stripped Ford Transit
- a trail bike
- two extra warriors

Let's start with the dump truck, this treasure was a lucky find in a thrift store. I've wanted a dump truck for a while but a 1:50 model costs about 200 dollars which is a bit too expensive for a model which is hardly ever going to get used, so when I saw this model I bought it immediately (and spent the next week painting it). I didn't paint it for my water merchants specifically and the one time it saw action on the table it was the objective for a High Octane scenario. It doesn't have any other place to go so I figured I might include it in this lot.

I first weathered the model with drill and file (scratching the model with the side of a spinning drill gives nice effects) and pimped it up to fit in my setting. I removed some detail (crude fuel tanks) next to the cabin to make room for models. I detailed the platforms and windows with mesh and bits from the platform builder set. I also made the fences from bits of the platform builder set. I removed one of the ladders (on the other side of the front grill) and attached it to the inside of the trailer body. I detailed some of the crude connections with a generous squirt of Vallejo Plastic Putty and some plasticard and added two slabs of plasticard to the rear to cover up the ugly rear and screw holes. I also glued some grit inside the trailer body to break up the look and give something for passengers to stand on.

To paint the model I first took away the tires and then started with a dark brown undercoat. I planned to do a marmite weathering technique:

http://www.tabletop-terrain.com/archives/2008/02/19/852/

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS TECHNIQUE TO ANYONE (more on that later)

So anyway, after the brown spray I applied marmite (which I enjoy not as much as I thought I would) to spots where I wanted rust spots to appear later on. After doing this I sprayed the truck with several coats of yellow spray paint (I think it took 3-4 coats). The next step is to wash the model and the yellow paint would go away where the marmite was and reveal the brown rusty spots. Alas, this was not to be. I had to scrub and claw at the marmite spots to get the yellow paint to go away (maybe the later was too thick but I think something else was going on). Anyway, lots of dirty fingernails later I think maybe 30% of the marmite spots was gone, the rest of the marmite firmly stuck under the yellow paint. The model looked good though (as you can see). I painted the tires separately and painted the rest of the model with my usual rust recipe (black, blazing orange, vomit brown) and other appropriate colours. Then I dusted it with VGC Earth and sprayed it with matte varnish.

If the truck would have stayed in this stage for the rest of it's life I would have been satisfied. However, months later for some reason all the marmite bits under the yellow paint began to go soft and do what they were supposed to do in the first place. The model got pretty smelly and got sticky parts virtually everywhere. I gave it another bath (more careful this time as it was already painted) which helped a bit but occasionally marmite bits peep through the paint and leavy my fingers smelly and sticky again.

Anyway, on with the show. I wanted a biker for my High Octane water merchants if for no other reason than that the model looks cool. We allow one passenger to go on the bike and I figured I'd model that. The biker is an EM4 Trail Bike & rider. The only thing I've changed is that I cut off the gun barrel between the headlights and added two gun barrels in place of the headlights.

The passenger is a Prince August bike rider which fit right on the back with no modifications.

Next up is my Ford Transit, for High Octane we need vehicles that can transport models on foot and the easiest way to do this is to have an open topped vehicle with a big flat platform. I had this transit model lying around for a long time and simply decided to cut it in half. I weathered it and added a plasticard road sign to the front. The crew are TAG US Vietnam helocopter gunners with head swaps, the gunner got the head from the EM4 cop hero and the driver got the head from an EM4 Combat Zone ganger (from one of the metal torsos for the plastic ganger models).

The flamer is made from bits of plastic rod with guitar wire connecting it to a Fenris Games oil drum. The backpack on the chair is from a plastic Combat Zone Ganger and the drinking bottle is from the Backpack of a plastic Warzone Imperial Army Regular. The cloth roll at the back is from medical bandage (regular blood donations give me a steady supply of bandages ;)) and painted to look like the cloth from the side of a truck.

The spare wheel was actually a part of the transit model but it was located underneat the rear. I moved it to a steel wire holder on the side for a more dramatic effect. The bits of stowage are from left to right:
- a bag made with MagicSculp
- a bag from the plastic Warzone Imperial Army Regular
- a bedroll from the plastic Warzone Imperial Army Regular

The holster on the seat is also from the plastic Warzone Imperial Army Regular (a great source of stowage indeed). The water drums in the rear are originally from VOID (now sold by Scotia Grendel).

Raven is the only really new arrival to my water merchants, he's a basic EM4 Biker with a jacket with patches (Sadus on the left and Raven on the right).

A detail from the back of his jacket, in the Middle Sacred Steel and Destruction (the skull), on the left Twisted Sister (pink) and Omen (orange) and on the right Judas Priest (the trident) and Sodom (red). His tattoos aren't really visible in either picture.

You already saw it standing in the background and here it is, specially for rough terrain and great transport capabilities, my tracked Unimog (it is actually standing like this in the pisture, there were no extra supports):

I stripped and weathered a second hand Unimog Fire Truck, I added Games Workshop tracks and used PVC foam to act as a spacer betwee the tracks and the chassis.

On top I built a flatbed from Platform Builder parts with styrene H-girder sides and some chains and wire. The fences serve a very real function as they greatly reduce the amount time models fall from the truck.

Here's a final pose shot with Raven and Ruskin, an EM4 biker I painted years ago (but he fits in with the rest), surrounded by HazMat barrels from Fenris games (grey for radioactive, white for corrosive, black for toxic and green/red for flammable).

And here's the whole lot for gaming purposes. The barrels in the back are from Tablescape and I'm not too fond of them as their detail is not very good and the barrels were a bit on the large side (40k sized rather than the nice barrels from VOID and Fenris games).

Enjoy!
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
Re: More Water Merchants! [PICS]
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 03:15:26 PM »
Very cool

Online hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 04:17:48 PM »
All great stuff, they look very good together, suficiently different to look post apoc like, yet they really tie together as a group. Great find with the dumper :D

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 02:49:47 AM »
Brilliant stuff - great painting and weathering, but more than that, a great idea to see the potential for post-apocalyptic gaming in those die-casts. Can you tell me - what scale/brand are the unimog and the transit? They look fantastic!

Oh, and the dump truck rules - what a great piece for gaming!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 06:05:46 AM »
Very impressive. I can see the work you put into them. The bike rider really fits in a mad max way. I love the cut down pick-up truck.

Rob

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 01:35:47 PM »
Wonderful stuff here again!
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Criamon

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 03:36:03 PM »
WoooW very spectacular! I like very much the vehicles and the big truck its nice.  :-*
What rules use for this????

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 03:37:43 PM »
Great inspiring stuff as always Pil!  :-*
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
  • Leading the way to where ever it is we're going...
    • ClearHorizon Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 06:23:26 PM »
That stuff looks great! I'm very inspired... I'm gonna have to steal some of your ideas and make my own (15mm) Post-apoc crew!
ClearHorizon Miniatures - 15mm Sci-Fi Miniatures
http://www.clearhorizonminiatures.com

ClearHorizon Salavge - 15mm Miniatures Blog
http://clearhorizonsalvage.blogspot.com

Offline Tri3

• Librarian
    • Miniature Review
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 06:53:10 PM »
Wow..... :o

Awesome work.  Love the big Truck.  I saw something on the history channel with those.  I think they can carry about 250,000lbs of dirt.  Pretty impressive.

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 08:17:04 PM »
Ohhh momma, there tasty

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 08:32:41 PM »
Yes, triple thumbs up from me. Post apoc is the way forward.

Offline Photographer

• Mad Scientist
    • Double 0 Sven
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 08:45:02 PM »
Brilliant!
Secret Agent KKBB Blog

http://double0sven.blogspot.com/

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 10:56:12 PM »
I love all your post apocalyptic vehicles, Pil.

That HUGE truck is flicking awesome!!!  :-*
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 12:21:58 AM »
 :o congratulations, they look awesome,
I really like the battered paint effect on of the vehicles.
The tracked Unimog looks great.