Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:05:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690909
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp British?  (Read 8677 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Pulp British?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 10:56:01 AM »
Robot Archie! He looks like he was built in the 40s, and is as British as cricket. Maybe there was once a whole squad of them. He certainly looks like he was built by leading British Boffins.

I'm sure somebody must make robots who look a bit like that.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Pulp British?
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 11:08:20 AM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
Robot Archie! He looks like he was built in the 40s, and is as British as cricket. Maybe there was once a whole squad of them. He certainly looks like he was built by leading British Boffins.

I'm sure somebody must make robots who look a bit like that.

At worst, I´ll sculpt some that do "not" look like him and get them cast up by Zafarelli... :lol:

Cool bot!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Pulp British?
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 11:30:45 AM »
He got even cooler. I used to enjoy the boastful robot's adventures in my uncle's old 60s comics.

But in the 80s he was brought back as Acid Archie in the 2000AD superhero story "Zenith", when the Acid House craze was at its peak.

By then he was part of an Anarchist superhero team, called I think Black Flag.

Offline xeoran

• Scientist
Pulp British?
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2007, 02:42:42 PM »
Without really wanting to pimp AE WW2 to the nth degree but I wrote up a series (over 20 I think) of British occult units (and all of them are British!) and a variety of nefarious characters from the annals of history. If you want check 'em out HERE

Aside from that a few suggestions:

1. Robots- Archie looks good
2. Rather than werewolves go Commonwealth and have Aussie weredingos or some such malarky.
3. British anti-(insert enemy unit: werewolves, vampires etc) unit. Think along the lines of the SWAT teams that get wiped out in ever horror style movie. The Familiars in the link sort of fit.
4. Britain in the Edwardian period loved its mystics. And there are all kinds from seers to those who contact the dead (maybe they can make the dead fight too? You decide.)
5. Britain was world famous for explorers all over the world. So perhaps they picked up a strange companion or a weird artefact whilst they were at it...

I'd also advise hunting up local legends, traditions, groups, creatures and mythology all through the Commonwealth for fun.

Incidentally the idea of an anarchist superhero team rocks.  :mrgreen:

Edited for my inability to write my own language.
"'Reality,' sa molesworth 2, 'is so unspeakably sordid it make me shudder.'"- Nigel Molesworth

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Pulp British?
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2007, 07:44:46 PM »
A crack squad of commando Beefeaters on the Kings special mission! Including the Ravenmaster with ravens with a bionic eye!

Offline Mogimbu

• Bookworm
    • http://www.1stairborne.com/
Pulp British?
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 04:13:50 AM »
Kings African Rifles Para Unit.  Bring along the Mad Witch-Doctor.

I like the Anglican Priest.  Maybe outfit them with exorsism gear, and other holy items.  

A Peter Cushing, Van Helsing Officer might be nice, in case anyone encounters Vampyres.

I'd tend away from walking war-machines, but would support the use of REME modified tanks with anti-ghoul capabilities :-)

Don't Forget the "Rifle Brigade"!!  See the Comic!
http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Rifle-Brigade-Garth-Ennis/dp/1401203531/ref=sr_1_2/002-5233334-4416861?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182915195&sr=8-2
So you started a military Coup,
I'm sorry it only back-fired on you.
Mogimbu

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
Pulp British?
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 10:17:58 AM »
Another thought would be lifting the background from Brian Lumley's Necroscope series of novels and recasting it in the 40s.  The character Harry Keogh and E Branch would fit, plus the bad guys...
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline Ryltar Thamior

• Bookworm
Pulp British?
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 10:47:35 AM »
The man behind the British fluff on the Darkson Designs forum is obviously some kind of god - it's inspired me to have a go making some using Evil Empire wood elf special units.

On larger scale, you could have entities like the Maori Battalion or other indigenous units replete with local monsters.

With that Maori Battalion idea, if you're going to do a British force from Crete, Cyprus, Italy or North Africa; a variety of protective talismans available for officers, a Tohunga (priest/shaman) on the field with "augment" type spells, and maybe even a taniwha (miscellaneous dragon-like monster).

If it's a more "England Invaded" type thing, you could consider having one or more giants, dead kings, or something like the LotR Army of the Dead.

And while it's all good useing Britain's Celtic culture, I feel that England's Anglo-Saxon heritage's been glossed over. Not to mention the fact it's ruled over by the Saxcoberg-Gotha family...
"When the going gets weird ... the Weird turn pro"

Offline plastic scouser

• Assistant
Pulp British?
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2007, 08:10:44 PM »
If you use the werewolf idea you could sculpt the figures to look like English breeds for example the Bulldog, English bullterrier and jack russel :o  

Cheers Ian

Offline xeoran

• Scientist
Pulp British?
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 01:39:58 PM »
Quote from: "Ryltar Thamior"
The man behind the British fluff on the Darkson Designs forum is obviously some kind of god - it's inspired me to have a go making some using Evil Empire wood elf special units.

Do you mean me? I'm not the offical writer (thats C.L. Werner, aka Skorzeny) just a hack who loves weird war two. If you're all that interested there are some random jottings I wrote down which can be found HERE. At some point I intend to expand on those.

And while it's all good useing Britain's Celtic culture, I feel that England's Anglo-Saxon heritage's been glossed over. Not to mention the fact it's ruled over by the Saxcoberg-Gotha family...

The trouble with anglo-saxon mythology is that it often derives from nordic mythology. Seeing as the Germans are usually the nordic-esque faction they get first dibs leaving the British sadly lacking in the Anglo Saxon department. However several of the creatures I wrote up on Darkson Designs Forum are Anglo Saxon, such as the Kirk Grim. Celtic mythology has the boon of being almost purely located within the British Isles and unique. Plus Americans lap up all that pseudo-Irish/Scottish stuff!  :wink:

Plus if I used it I'd have to start reading up on all those crazy anglo-saxon/early Christian traditions.  Oh dear, it might be too late. St. Cuthbert here I come...