Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:48:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: DAK WIP - Comments and suggestions welcome.  (Read 1864 times)

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
DAK WIP - Comments and suggestions welcome.
« on: October 01, 2010, 07:31:42 PM »
I prepped and primed ~1500 points worth of 15mm BF DAK Panzergrenadiers, support and some armor last week. 

Right now, I have base coated all the armor and artillery with the BF take on dunkelgelb (spray) and have done some initial test models.  Over the base I've built up a few layers of increasingly light coloured drybrush paint, adding some additional light tones near the wheels, etc. (Presuming they would be dustier than the top of the hull and the turret.)

A little unwanted pooling, but unmanageable with a bit more attention.  I think it's great for the figures. No way I'm three tone painting a couple hundred 15mm infantry!

I've not spent much time modeling or painting WWII stuff, so I'd be interested hear thoughts and suggestions to add realism, etc.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: DAK WIP - Comments and suggestions welcome.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 07:59:35 PM »
They look pretty decent. I hated painting 15mm because I just couldn't gte my head around not painting them to the same standard as my 28mm despite the fact they are just so much smaller and don't require it to look great. I think what makes great 15mms look great is the small details like extra camo-nets, kit, etc, lying around and effective looking weathering (probably a little best over the top than subtle at this scale).

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 08:48:57 PM »
very nice!  ;D i just miss some Decals?  :-X

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 08:57:08 PM »
They look pretty good to me. I wouldn’t charge a thing. Nice work 8)

No way I'm three tone painting a couple hundred 15mm infantry!

This technique rarely look good on 15mm figures anyway… at least that’s what I’m thinking
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 08:42:08 PM »
Thanks all.

Here are my latest additions.  Made a few adjustments to the armor; not sure if it will be apparent in the photos.  Also did up all the transport currently on hand as well as an some BMW m/cs, a mortar platoon and a Panzergrandier platoon.  As always, suggestion and constructive criticism are invited.

The spread as of today:

Armor:

Before and After

Used a mix of drybrushing over the dip and some weathering pigment. Two layers of Testors Dullcoat to seal.  We'll see how durable it turns out to be. Not a fan of the exposed metal style weathering favored on the BF page, as I'm not sure it can be done convincingly at this scale.  But I do like the idea of recreating the presence of pervasive and relentless dust and sand.

Transport sections:

Motorcycles:

Panzergrenadiers in assorted kit:

Mortars:

Lastly, some scenics.  A section of Kerr and King minefield.  The bases are a bit thick, but I like their stuff. The rusted barbed wire marking fence is my addition.

http://web.me.com/abu_iskander/Reflective_Wargaming/Reflective_Wargaming/Entries/2010/10/10_DAK_WIP_(I).html

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 08:46:44 PM »

Great work 8)