Forum > Workbench

Help building an LCD table

(1/3) > >>

dlmos:
I'm getting ready to build an LCD table for my gaming group and could use some help. The screen is going to be mounted flat in a custom MDF box with a sheet of plexi on top for protection. We plan on using minis on top as usual, and maptool to control the virtual map. I was looking at useing a 32" screen but am concern about excessive scrolling if the screen is to small. the screen is roughly 16 tall x 28 wide. Would this be large enough for most encounters or should I fork out the extra dough for a 42 inch screen (20 tall x 36 wide)?

YPU:
Dont get me wrong, but aren't these things insanely expansive to make in the first place?

dlmos:
You can get a new 32" for $299, or quite a bit cheaper is it's used or on sale.  A 42" starts at $499.  Sounds like a lot but I'm sure there more than one person whos dropped 300 buckaroos at a convention or on a scenery order. This is something or group would be using a couple of times a month from here on out.  While it's a big investment it's the only big purchase I'll be doing this year (or wait till spring if I have to save for the 42").

YPU:
Less then I thought, and indeed one should think of it as a huge number of high quality prints of battle maps being replaced.

I think you should keep your eyes open next time you play, figure out how big the part of the map that actually gets used is. 

Supercollider:

--- Quote from: dlmos on October 03, 2010, 01:47:08 AM ---You can get a new 32" for $299, or quite a bit cheaper is it's used or on sale.  A 42" starts at $499.  
--- End quote ---

How about getting two 32" ones, and mounting them to make a 32x??* playing surface? Assuming you can mount the edges of the screen areas flush with one another once you've removed their bezels?

It's only 100 dollars more  ;)

Edit: Edited my dimensions - Just remembered that the dimension given fora TV is the diagonal distance, so it wouldn't be 32 inches wide.  I think with 2 you'd get a much more usable surface area for gaming.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version