Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:36:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [ACW] TFL releases "Terrible Sharp Sword" supplement (w/ pic)  (Read 5272 times)

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
[ACW] TFL releases "Terrible Sharp Sword" supplement (w/ pic)
« on: October 03, 2010, 09:33:38 PM »

From the Too Fat Lardies website:

Terrible Sharp Sword is our latest supplement for Sharp Practice, covering the American Civil War with a complete list of rule amendments that allow you to recreate this heroic and desperate struggle on the tabletop.

In addition to the complete rule changes for the Civil War Terrible Sharp Sword includes a complete campaign system, allowing you to recruit your force, appoint officers and NCOs, equip and train them then take to the field.  A range of scenarios and tabletop maps allows you to fight your war, to develop your men's skills and your leaders' abilities, to take your force from being greenhorns through to veterans and beyond.

Terrible Sharp Sword is 54 page pdf document designed to be printer friendly, a Quick Refence Sheet is included that should provide all you need for the vast majority of in-game use.  

£8.00

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=76&zenid=b923a8f48188bc4ba54690c591c08bbf
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 04:53:56 PM by Schogun »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: [ACW] TFL releases "Terrible Sharp Sword" supplement
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 09:55:19 PM »
Very good news! Thanks for posting.

I recently bought Sharpe Practice and though I haven't played it yet, it reads very well and looks like it will be fun to play.

An ACW version is very tempting. I'll have to find suitable figures for Starbuck and Truslow  :D

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: [ACW] TFL releases "Terrible Sharp Sword" supplement
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 03:45:18 PM »
I love Sharp Practice and this sounds like a great addition. The campaign aspect sounds right up my alley also.

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
Re: [ACW] TFL releases "Terrible Sharp Sword" supplement (w/ pic)
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 10:39:52 AM »
I'm feeling a little dumb as I can't work out what the joke is in the title.  :?

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 03:48:26 PM »
I'm feeling a little dumb as I can't work out what the joke is in the title.  :?

I think it's down to the original Napoleonic title "Sharp Practice", which I believe is a reference to Bernard Cornwell's  "Sharpe" series of books.

Presumably this has been carried on to include the phrase "Terrible Swift Sword"  from "The Battle Hymn of the Republic".

Of course, I'm probably completely wrong here  :(

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 08:47:32 PM »
I think it's down to the original Napoleonic title "Sharp Practice", which I believe is a reference to Bernard Cornwell's  "Sharpe" series of books.

Presumably this has been carried on to include the phrase "Terrible Swift Sword"  from "The Battle Hymn of the Republic".

Of course, I'm probably completely wrong here  :(

Actually you are completely right  :)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 09:11:59 PM »
I can easily vouch for the fun game play of Sharp Practice, but I wonder is there anything in here for non ACW gamers - scenario or new rules wise?
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 12:37:40 PM »
I imagine the whole campaign play aspect could be easily adapted to the original version.

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 01:49:47 PM »
Check out the TFL blog for designer's notes about what changed or was added in TSS:

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/

Offline coggon

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 02:00:02 PM »
I can easily vouch for the fun game play of Sharp Practice, but I wonder is there anything in here for non ACW gamers - scenario or new rules wise?

The campaign system looks promising, and the differentiation in morale and weapons type is much broader.  It even has stats for cavalry with shotguns & pistols
"MY enthusiasm greatly exceeds my talent"-Me

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 08:29:25 PM »
Looks cool, heard good things about the rules, thanks for giving me and everyone else the heads up.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 02:03:55 AM »
I'm about halfway painting my figures for SP and am now interested in TSS  ::) and the other night I found myself wishing for for an ECW version. I also have my CDS project started, do you get the impression I like their rules systems? (I also have IABSM).

Thanks for clearing up the TSS reference to the hymn , its been years since I've read anything to do with the ACW.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 10:29:34 PM »
I caved in and bought the PDF on Friday as I was so impressed with "Sharp Practice". Yet another very well written (and funny) set of rules and one which I'm itching to try out. The Lardies have a wicked way with characters' names. It took me a while to work out why it was Richard Fondler, till I realised the diminutive of Richard is Dick.......  ::)  lol

The campaign system in TSS should be fairly easy to adapt to Napoleonics etc and there are also some very nice scenarios which should work there too. I'm tempted to use my 15mm ACW stuff for TSS, as I'll probably take several years to finish my Redoubt 28mm stuff. Lots of 15mm figures already painted, along with buildings, trees etc. The figures just need individual basing to be ready to go 

I think I might be a Lardy fan too :D