Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:14:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690930
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Skyline - another Alien Invasion movie  (Read 6428 times)

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
Re: Skyline - another Alien Invasion movie
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 02:52:10 PM »
I would not recommend this movie... the ending was quite bad.  I also thought the story line was not very well written either.  Very bleak and depressing movie with a bad story line and terrible ending.  Save your money! :-[

Darkoath

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 03:43:16 PM »
Yup, one of my son's would back up Darkoath's summary. He saw it last night and told me that it was the worst film he has ever seen and he has seen some trash inhis time!
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.

Offline Antenociti

• Scientist
    • Antenociti's Workshop
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 06:02:55 PM »
Yarp!

its one of the worst films i've ever seen.

the visual effects are reasoanble, but everything else is dire.

The plot only makes sense when you find out that the film was made in one of the Directors Flat (yes, I kid ye not) and that the two brothers Strause (the directors) have a special-effects business - so its really nothing more than a vehicle for them to show-off their special-effects capabilities.

Dialogue, plot and everything else is atrocious, and i do mean atrocious. Its nonesense from start to finish with cringe-after-cringe of bad lines and poor acting and the ending is nothing short of, well, its both baffling, stupid in the extreme, cliched and, ultiamtely, unfinished.  If you stay to watch the titles you are treated to some still-shots that continue the story a little way - why>? nobody knows.

It cost 500,000USD to shoot, with the remainder of the 10-Million budget taken up by special effects and actors fees...so it will, it has already, made money,

the directors are promising to bring out "part 2" which will complete the story, but in all honesty I hope they dont as this can only get worse.

To be fair there ARE more worthless ways to spend your time and money, but I cant think of any at the moment..hmmmm.. no, there are not more worthless ways to spend your time and money.

If you watch this for free on TVShack or similar you will still feel cheated out of the 92 minutes you psent watching it.

Dire
dire
dire

:?
\"You don\'t need eyes to see, you need vision.\"

Offline Whiskyrat

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 06:21:14 PM »
Thanks all.

Guess I'll wait for it to hit Sky Movies and watch it instead of some of the other tripe I convince myself is going to get better if only I watch for another 5 minutes, 'cos the plot/action surely has to pick up soon ..... doesn't it?  :-X

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 07:30:32 PM »
I thought it was alright
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 08:50:38 PM »
I thought it was alright

Me too...except for the ending. If it had ended with those last shots of the cities, it would be great. First contact with an advanced civilization usually ends badly  :-X

The dialogues are bad, the actors...so and so...but I liked the story.

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 11:27:05 PM »
I thought it was alright

absolutely!Was much better than Gloverfield ( liked it too).Like you Guys said only the End was a bit weird , i mean why was that Guy the only one who still had (Brain) Control and others dont?  ???
i think there are some cool Ideas:The Lights,the Brains and the Big Monsters,thats what i wanted to see.
Did i mentioned that i have Outlander and Mutant Chronicles on DVD?  ;)
Now looking forward to the V Remake...

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 12:21:42 AM »
Yup, one of my son's would back up Darkoath's summary. He saw it last night and told me that it was the worst film he has ever seen and he has seen some trash in his time!

Has he seen Battlefield Earth by chance? Which does he think is worse?

Grimm

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 04:36:45 AM »
It cost 500,000USD to shoot, with the remainder of the 10-Million budget taken up by special effects and actors fees...so it will, it has already, made money.

On the flipside though, the fact that such a thing can be done is encouraging. The less money it takes to to make a big bang film, the less pressure there is for the execs to muck things up by trying to micromanage the creative side, which could mean fewer remakes and formula films in the future.

Though admittedly that doesn't help if the creative side is what's lacking to begin with. Still, imagine the same resources in the hands of a good writer/director. The Terminator only had a budget of around six million, IIRC...

I just read the Wikipedia summery (spoilery of me, but I'm not likely to go see it, so...). Story seemed like just a lot off chicken-with-its-head-cut-off running around (much like Cloverfield), and although the ending did sound a little bit much, I'm not sure ending it earlier would be an improvement, for me at least. I've kind of gotten tired of how "the monster/killer wins, everyone dies" has become the new cliched Hollywood ending. That sort of thing worked better when it was the unexpected exception to the rule IMO. It's not a daring or shocking sucker punch when it's the status quo, it's just depressing. I love horror films, but between this, and the rising emphasis on gore over thrills, I haven't been to one in the theater in almost ten years.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 04:44:41 AM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Antenociti

• Scientist
    • Antenociti's Workshop
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 10:22:50 AM »
cloverfield was much better.....not as bad as Battlefield Earth though.  lol

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 02:34:40 PM »
I thought Cloverfield was awful (apart from the camera work making me feel sick). The ending was utter garbage, *stuck in a tunnel waiting for the bomb to go off and said in the whingiest voice all film long "I love you" Booommm*

They shouldn't of shown the monster either.

I don't speak out when watching a film because I'm there to enjoy it, but "Oh f**k off" just popped out.

Naff  :D

cheers

James

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 11:18:58 AM »
I've kind of gotten tired of how "the monster/killer wins, everyone dies" has become the new cliched Hollywood ending. That sort of thing worked better when it was the unexpected exception to the rule IMO. It's not a daring or shocking sucker punch when it's the status quo, it's just depressing. I love horror films, but between this, and the rising emphasis on gore over thrills, I haven't been to one in the theater in almost ten years.

Have you watched "My name is Bruce"? It pretty much sums all that up in a humorous way at the end of the film.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 08:24:23 PM »
I caught a couple minutes of it on the Sci-Fi channel, but didn't stick around, because... it was a movie on the Sci-Fi channel, and I've learned what to expect from that.

Thinking I'm gonna have to netfix it now though, since I've seen the title crop up in better company a few times since then.