Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:59:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chaos in Cairo  (Read 9060 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Chaos in Cairo
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 03:29:58 PM »
Oh this I get very well and was just making an observation(obvious one it appears)and already started listing the scenes in my notes that I've conjured up.I've done some small scale skirmishing with LOTOW which you can view on my blog if your interested.This system appears to be even slightly smaller with a storyline being even more important for a successful run at the rules.I'm curious how it plays out. :)

Christopher

I wasn't having a go at you  :)  just stating what we all discover, when we delve into this kind of gaming. Try having a look at jet's CiCar* games, for instance here (if you haven't already), and you'll see what I mean: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=22499.0

Actually, I find that it to be able to use the same few minis for a series of encounters/adventures set in all kinds of settings motivates me to expand heavily on my terrain collection, and not just be content with a couple of hills and a few trees. Which in turn is a benefit for all the games I play  :)

If I could only make my brain appreciate the fact, that I do not need to buy as many minis for this kind  of game as for more conventional wargames, my wallet would be happy....  ::)

*) I suggest we stop writing CiC, and instead use CiCai for Chaos in Cairo, CiCar for Chaos in Carpathia, CiChr for Chaos in Chronos, and CiChi for Chaos in Chicago (if that title is ever hitting the webstores - it WAS announced som years ago...). CiC is a bit ambiguous with more titles being abbreviated that way...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 06:09:04 PM »
*) I suggest we stop writing CiC, and instead use CiCai for Chaos in Cairo, CiCar for Chaos in Carpathia, CiChr for Chaos in Chronos, and CiChi for Chaos in Chicago (if that title is ever hitting the webstores - it WAS announced som years ago...). CiC is a bit ambiguous with more titles being abbreviated that way...
Good idea. Now tell me more about CiChi. Gangster warbands, etc?
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 06:12:30 PM »
For me CiCar stands for Chaos in Cardiff: The day I got arrested at Ninian Park. Could also apply to a Torchwood supplement.  lol
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 06:45:25 PM »
Good idea. Now tell me more about CiChi. Gangster warbands, etc?

Yes, it was meant to be about gangsters / police / booze runners, etc., probably also with the supernatural/chulhoid twist seen in the other sets. I don't know what happened to the plans, though... Would have LOVED it... well, .45A, Pulp Alley, Astounding Tales - all can be used to recreate some prohibition gangland action (and wasn't there a set called 'Prohibition Wars'?).

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 06:47:46 PM »
For me CiCar stands for Chaos in Cardiff: The day I got arrested at Ninian Park. Could also apply to a Torchwood supplement.  lol

Always suspected you were a bit of a rascal  lol

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2010, 09:12:36 PM »
Try having a look at jet's CiCar* games, for instance here (if you haven't already)

Oh indeed I know his work and I'm an avid follower of his blog.He's the reason I got the rules! Marvellous stuff! :-*Although I decided CinCai was more for me in terms of background as I really like the Archaeologists angle. 

Yes,that is a good idea and I'll try and remember that. :)

Christopher

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 08:01:06 PM »
Yesterday I played a small CiC test game with a friend and some doubts emerged, let me ask your advice.

-bull's eye lantern.
About throwing a bull's eye lantern, the item description says
"A lantern may also be thrown at an enemy model as an act of desperation. This counts as a normal combat action with a max range of 12"."
So, if the max range is 12" it has an ER of 6"? or is considered all their range of action as max range (so +DEF should be applied for the target)?

- Feared Foe - Mummies
A group of Professional Diggers with the trait Feared Foe - Mummies are charged by a Mummy and fails their TN3 resolve test, Mummy gets +1 Attack Die.
What happens next round?
Next round the Professional Diggers are engaged in combat with the mummy,  they have to roll again the failed TN3 resolve test? or the Feared Foe trait has no longer effects after the charge round?

About ranged combat.
Rulebook says "Friendly models do not block line of site, but enemy models do."
What's about shooters firing from elevated positions targeting enemy models on the second line but really far from the enemy models in the front line do you still apply this rule?
We was considering a house rule conceding the possibility to shot when the shooter has an uninterrupted  line of sight of the second line model from head to base. But i would like to know if someone fixed the issue in other ways, or didn't fixed it and keeps straight to the rules.

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 12:46:19 AM »
The Lantern: 12" ER sounds a bit too much considering a heavy pistol has a ER of 10".  Looking at thrown weapons, Holy Water has a ER of 3" as well as Throwing Knives.  Even a ER of 6" seems a bit much.

Feared Foe: Looking at the description of terrify, it sounds like the diggers use the same rules.  They would then test every turn to see if they were still terrified.

Ranged Combat: Not sure about this.  We played as if friendly models blocked line of site as well.  When it came to elevated shooters, we just had them ignore cover.

Yesterday I played a small CiC test game with a friend and some doubts emerged, let me ask your advice.

-bull's eye lantern.
About throwing a bull's eye lantern, the item description says
"A lantern may also be thrown at an enemy model as an act of desperation. This counts as a normal combat action with a max range of 12"."
So, if the max range is 12" it has an ER of 6"? or is considered all their range of action as max range (so +DEF should be applied for the target)?

- Feared Foe - Mummies
A group of Professional Diggers with the trait Feared Foe - Mummies are charged by a Mummy and fails their TN3 resolve test, Mummy gets +1 Attack Die.
What happens next round?
Next round the Professional Diggers are engaged in combat with the mummy,  they have to roll again the failed TN3 resolve test? or the Feared Foe trait has no longer effects after the charge round?

About ranged combat.
Rulebook says "Friendly models do not block line of site, but enemy models do."
What's about shooters firing from elevated positions targeting enemy models on the second line but really far from the enemy models in the front line do you still apply this rule?
We was considering a house rule conceding the possibility to shot when the shooter has an uninterrupted  line of sight of the second line model from head to base. But i would like to know if someone fixed the issue in other ways, or didn't fixed it and keeps straight to the rules.
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 01:19:47 PM »
The Lantern: 12" ER sounds a bit too much considering a heavy pistol has a ER of 10". 
That was exactly our comment when reading the rule, despite in our case was not a long throw. Sounds sensible to pick the holly water and throwing weapons as example to modify it.
Feared Foe: Looking at the description of terrify, it sounds like the diggers use the same rules.  They would then test every turn to see if they were still terrified.
That was my big doubt, Terrifiyng Aura = Feared Foe? The description talks about FF on charge action, but no mention about what happens out of the charge. When a mummy with TA charges a group of Professional Diggers they should roll Resolve twice, first as soon they act in the 10" TA range of the mummy and later when they are charged,  if they fail both rolls the mummy stacks +3 dices to attack roll the charge round to represent their panic; but I wonder if keep both Resolve rolls each turn until they succedd isn't a bit too hard.

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 04:03:42 PM »
Ooo... Feared Foe + Terrifying Aura, that sounds brutal.   lol

Honestly the Mummies in our games don't need either.  We just looked at their stat blocks and read the mummy special ability, that kept us terrified all game long.  ;)

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 08:58:11 PM »
PM sent.  ;)

Mr Clapham

I am sure I have the original rules pamphlet somewhere - are you interested?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 09:11:08 PM »

Piece by piece we lay the puzzle that is Plynkes... :)