Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:11:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690814
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Guidance needed ANZACs in Europe  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
Guidance needed ANZACs in Europe
« on: October 05, 2010, 09:48:33 AM »
 i want to do a Anzac Section for my Brits.Preferably I. or II. Armycorps in France in 1916.So im looking for Infos about their Equipment,Organisation,Insignia etc
any Help Appreciated  :D...

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
Re: Guidance needed ANZACs in Europe
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 01:23:02 AM »
Rough Structure (would have varied due to changes over the years and casualties etc): http://www.awm.gov.au/atwar/structure/army_detailed_structure.asp

I did have links to some excellent detailed structure of ALL Aussie forces for the entire war, but I can't find them  :(

I will keep looking and if I do find them I will post the links.

The link above is for the AWI, and you might be able to find a lot of info there.

Also, try: http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-conflicts-periods/ww1/0-ww1-cat-index.htm

Edit - I found the web pages I had saved with a lot of info... but the pages themselves have been deleted from the web. I saved the pages when I first found them many years ago... I could zip them and email them if you are really interested.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 01:30:35 AM by Sheerluck Holmes »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Guidance needed ANZACs in Europe
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 02:06:39 AM »
Structure was essentially identical to the British table of organisation, except that in 1918 the infantry brigade retained four battalions whereas the British Army reduced to three per brigade. IIRC correctly there were some minor differences in artillery brigade structure. Bear in mind that attrition reduced numbers considerabLy from the paper strengths. This was particularly acute in the Australian Army which in the latter part of 1918 was forced to disband whole battalions to keep up strength in others. There is a fairly famous photograph from this period showing a platoon of less than 20 men but with a full complement of Lewis guns. So if you were to do two full strength sections you could have an actual strength platoon.

The official histories have a guide to the battalion patches. You can find all the Bean histories on the AWI website as well as a host of period photos. Nice thing is that it's a searchable database. Bloody awful reading Bean but perhaps not surprising from a jingo, yellow press journo.

Uniforms don't differ that much in detail, particularly in 28mm, from the British pattern and indeed due to supply issues British uniforms were frequently issued anyway.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo