Forum > Workbench

Micro-Art Studio Hive/Power Plant/Ruins bases Review

(1/1)

WarGameGuru:
Today I posted a review covering the new Hive/Power Plant and Ruins scenic bases from Micro-Art Studio. Here's a little teaser from it...

It seems like there's more scenic base options out there these days than ever before. Today you really don't even have to create your own basing if you don't want to. With so many options to choose from now, all any gamer needs to do is paint up a resin base, and they can end up with a really nice looking platform to display their model upon.

No glue, no flock, no rocks, quite frankly a scenic resin base is a short cut, which can eliminate a lot of work. When it comes to scenic resin bases, Micro-Art Studio is one of the most commonly recognized names that comes to mind. Today I'll show you a variety of the newest bases and styles from Micro-Art Studio.

Hive Bases

The Hive Bases is one of the newest additions to the Battle Bases range from Micro-Art Studio. These come in 25mm round, 40mm round, and in two distinct 60mm round designs. The 25mm round Hive Bases come in packs of 5 bases per pack. The 40mm round bases come in a pack of 2 bases per pack, and the two different 60mm bases come one base to a pack. All of  these bases were sculpted by Piotr Kupper.

http://wargameguru.weebly.com/review---micro-art-studio-hivepower-plant-and-ruins-bases.html

Connectamabob:
I bought a set of their conversion head a while back. Very good sculpting/casting quality, but HUGE. The heads I got are roughly true 40mm/"heroic" 35mm, or in other words, just a little bit smaller than 1:35.

So watch out for the bases with skulls or other scale-specific details on them. If they're scaled the same as the heads I received, they won't look right with anything less than the upper end of "heroic" 30mm figures, and 25-28mm figures will be right out.

WarGameGuru:

--- Quote from: Connectamabob on October 06, 2010, 01:50:36 PM ---I bought a set of their conversion head a while back. Very good sculpting/casting quality, but HUGE. The heads I got are roughly true 40mm/"heroic" 35mm, or in other words, just a little bit smaller than 1:35.

So watch out for the bases with skulls or other scale-specific details on them. If they're scaled the same as the heads I received, they won't look right with anything less than the upper end of "heroic" 30mm figures, and 25-28mm figures will be right out.

--- End quote ---

I don't recall having seen any of thier head models, but all of the bases have been quite nice, sculpted with superb detail, and quite in scale. I haven't seen the skull bases tho, but I do know that they use a bunch of different sculptors. If you dig through their site, you'll find more names than you can remember off hand attached to the various products, all of which are quite good sculptors too. So the chances of the same guy doing skull bases, and being off too are pretty slim I'd think. Which heads did you get that were out of scale?

Connectamabob:
It was the barbarian head sprue:
http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/barbarians-heads-p-174.html?cPath=45_74
Very nice, but unfortunately I doubt I'll ever end up using any of them due to their size.

It's the only thing I have from them, but that plus the fact that scale is left unstated on all their figure conversion products kind made me suspect that as a business they're maybe trying to cater to a very specific demographic (GW heroic, maybe?). If that were the case, then all their sculptors would be working in the same scale: even given size variations between sculptors, they still wouldn't be nearly right for 25-28mm.

Most of the bases don't have anything scale specific on them, so I'd expect them to look right with any figure. I'm only thinking of the ones with bones, tools, and other stuff like that where scaling does become more specific, and which weren't among the samples reviewed.

Capt. E.W. Brimmage:
Bit too big for GW even, certainly for Imperial Guard anyway, probably too big for Space Marines. Based on advice I got with the commando heads.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version