Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:30:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 3 Warriors ..... 3 Standards  (Read 6889 times)

Offline Mrdee

• Mad Scientist
  • Paintaholic
3 Warriors ..... 3 Standards
« on: October 11, 2010, 08:56:57 AM »
Hi guys

I am in the process of setting up a commission painting website and spent this weekend painting up the examples for the stardards of painting and thought I would share them with you.  They are the 3 for £5 snap fit chaos warriors and horrid models.

everything is all very much in a conception stage at the moment but its a start.  These are just quick pictures, I will get some nice ones done tonight hopefully

First off economy standard

Next Good/High Standard

and lastly but by far the least of the three, Display/Golden Demon Standard (thats a freehand skull on his helm not a moulded skull helmet as someone insinuated last night :) )

So do they show a good variety?

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Re: 3 Warriors ..... 3 Standards
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 09:10:56 AM »
First up, great work! I think the scope of work is sufficient for what you want to show.

When you say "Golden Demon" standard, have you actually won a Golden Demon? Just a thought... it's a claim some people might want to check out.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 09:32:11 AM »
How much are you intending to charge for each level?  And I echo the comment about "Golden Demon."  Especially as you write that you painted these three "over a weekend."

Offline Mrdee

• Mad Scientist
  • Paintaholic
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:03:59 AM »
Sadly no, 4th and denied 3rd by "too much blood".  I have entered 3 times in the last 2 years and been through to the final round on each entry.  So 4th this year is as good as it gets, so point taken I will leave it as display quality until I win one.

@ Orctrader

To pricing not even sure yet had a few scales but nothing that I am sure about at the moment, have to sit and really think long and hard about that one.  As to time, first one took 15-20 mins, 2nd one 4 hours and the third one all of Sunday so 10-15 hours not sure exactly how long but I didn't eat, drink, poo, pee all day, you have to bear in mind that these are merely examples so people can relate to what I can offer in the different categories and by no means will I be entering the warrior above into Golden Demon next year :D

*edit*

Cheers for the feedback as well guys, all is welcomed to help me in my little venture and I am pretty much jumping into the black here
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:09:42 AM by Mrdee »

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 10:07:30 AM »
Your 15 minute economy paintjob is better than my 4-10 hour paintjobs. I'm sorry, I have to kill you and eat your brain to gain your superior painting knowlwdge.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 10:22:41 AM »
There is a nice "jump" between each level, so I think you've hit on a good group of examples. I would completely avoid the term "Golden Demon Standard" as that is likely to create unrealistic expectations in your potential client base. Possible terms might be:

1. Rank-and-file Standard
2. Character Standard
3. Lord-level Standard

or

1. Tabletop Standard
2. Front-rank Standard
3. Character Standard

It would probably be a good idea to start poling opinions on a ballpark range of prices sooner rather than later. You might also want to consider stating variant prices and/or showing variant examples of unit Command figures, Character figures, Cavalry figures, small Monster (Ogre-sized) and large Monster figures.
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Mrdee

• Mad Scientist
  • Paintaholic
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 11:05:56 AM »
@ Red Orc

Thats a first for me, someone paying me a compliment by threatening to go Hannibal Lecter on me  ;D

@ Heldrak

Golden Demon Standard shall be removed as a term, as to all the variants I am working on that with lots of different stuff at the moment.  Am going to paint up some Napoleonics and some WW2 in a similar way I did the warriors above.  But as I said at the moment its very much conceptual, what I do find hard is painting stuff for myself at below my very best as I try to strive for perfection only that way can I improve, when I say the economy/rank and file standard took me 15-20mins I lied, there was a good hour before hand where I was sat staring at the model trying to make myself paint to that standard, someone pays me I will do whatever sort of like a painting whore.  I will sit down after work and work out some price guides that I feel are reasonable and then put them out there for general opinion.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:12:01 AM by Mrdee »

Offline Shak

• Student
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 11:17:02 AM »
If you find it hard to paint your own ones to a certain standard, then paint some of mine :P

Looking good though i must say.

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 01:06:55 PM »
i can only agree: great painting on each of the three models for the respective standarts you wanted to achive. Beyond my ability. Good luck with your enterprise.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 01:40:29 PM »
i agree,nice Paintjobs, no doubt. :D
First of all i think this not a good Mini to show the different Types of Painting.Would be much better to see more Fleshtones ( a Barbarian etc) and Faces ( Eyes,Hair etc)
the Ecconomy Standard is far too extented in my Opinion,might be easy to do on those Chaos Warriors,but i believe it will  take  you much more Time to paint a Napoleon Era Miniature at that  Standard.Not so Ecconomic anymore, if you have to paint 3 Layers of White Troussers on each Mini... :?

Offline Mrdee

• Mad Scientist
  • Paintaholic
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 01:55:25 PM »
@ Shak

Mate if I started on your stuff now it would be debatable if I would be finished this time next year!  :-*

@ Doomhippie

Thanks

@ Dr.Falkenhayn

Thanks.  I need to get some Napoleonics done for this very reason to test how long it would take for me to paint them and whether I would need different price scales, although white has never been an issue for me after many an hour painting Black Templar Space Marine's white tabards in the last two years, but obviously there is a lot more detail on tunics and the like with Napoleonics so I would probably end up doing a price scale just for them.  Again all feedback is awesome and helps me to figure out the best plan of attack.

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 09:14:04 PM »
Lovely work.  When you get your pricing sorted out, I might be interested in having some work done.

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 02:26:02 AM »
Your 15 minute economy paintjob is better than my 4-10 hour paintjobs. I'm sorry, I have to kill you and eat your brain to gain your superior painting knowlwdge.

lol
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 02:33:17 AM »
Both your economy and good/high level figures are excellent.  I'd strongly suggest you post some of your examples on Cool mini or not, if you already haven't.  The site is excellent publicity for paint on commission folks, or those looking to sell high end models on Ebay.  Having some high rated figures on the site would give you some cred with prospective buyers.

In regards to names, rather than going with Golden Demon how about Epic instead?  Also I feel that a paintjob like that is wasted on a rank and file figure.  For a unit your good/high quality is amazing.  I'd only use the 'GD' level on metal command figures.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 10:26:48 AM »

Damn, beat me to it. I'll have to hack your hands off and sew them onto my own wrists then. You never know!

Glad to see I'm not the only one who stuggles for hours with only average results at the end  :(

Love 'em all, but can you post close-ups of the last one. We need to see that freehand skull detail  :)