Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:24:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The 2nd Anglo Boer War  (Read 6340 times)

Offline Colonel Tavington

• Assistant
The 2nd Anglo Boer War
« on: October 13, 2010, 01:57:13 PM »
Hello! I am new to the forum! My reason for joining is the popular interest there appears here for Colonial Wars, my interest is South Africa, mainly the Cape Wars and the 2nd Boer War!

How much interest is there for the latter in respect to wargaming! It seems lacking as far as interest by other wargamers!

My collection is all 25mm!

Col.T

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
Re: The 2nd Anglo Boer War
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 02:01:33 PM »
Problem is there are no 'modern' miniature ranges. Black Tree Boers are 1st Boer War, the Foundry range is rather small. Believe me, if the Perrys would do a new range they would get a lot of praise.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 02:57:52 PM »
Empress are about to (?) release a Boer range. When I spoke to them at Colours (I want mounted civvy types for Back of Beyond) they said that the figures would work for periods later than the Boer War. Now, I am not expert on Boers so maybe the same problem will occur as outlined previously...

Offline Pentaro

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 03:06:34 PM »
Really? I asked them and they told me they were going to release some 1879 boers, but that was a year ago. There isn't a lot to choose from for the 1880 war either :(

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 05:07:20 PM »
Empress are about to (?) release a Boer range. When I spoke to them at Colours...
That's interesting, I rather thought they had shut up shop with no new releases for the Zulu War for ages. Boers {and the promised new Zulus} would be very welcome in GHQ. ;)
David
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Mors

• Scientist
    • Tales from thr Green Dragom
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 08:07:45 PM »
Welcome to the LAF Colonel , I'm currently painting up some Southern Africa miniatures , Zulus Xhosa and Matabele. I've bought a pack of each of 1st Corps Boers but I expect they are a bit early for your requirements. Would love to see some pics if you have your Cape Wars stuff painted up.

Mors

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 11:49:12 PM »
That's interesting, I rather thought they had shut up shop with no new releases for the Zulu War for ages. Boers {and the promised new Zulus} would be very welcome in GHQ. ;)
David

lol thats what i started thinking david but they've got a few lovely bits coming soon had a great chat with them at colours lots of bits across all their ranges  ;D

ps would be nice to see more zulus  ::)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 12:54:59 AM »
I did game it but was limited to the foundry and old glory ranges (the guns are OK) Perry do the Mafeking figures which are nice, I use them for VBCW, That may also be worth looking at for some Boer tyes

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 05:18:49 AM »
hi gents!

BW..... I have mainly foundry and have just purchased some more British as well as Scots from the NWF range, I have field guns from various companies my last from Minifig's (not bad), although the Foundry range is limited I like the British figure advancing bayonets fixed at 45Deg, a nice long line of these looks good in open order! I intend to add some OG Boers into the mix, I would really like to see the Perry's do a late Sudan/Omdurman range of British or even add to the Mafeking range.

BTW..... I have not purchased these "Mafeking" figures yet as I have not seen them in the flesh to speak of! Are there any pictures anywhere!

Mors....... I too have the 1st Corps Cape Wars figures, when Sean and Rob were running the outfit I was at the front standing in line for them! I did a game at the VMS some years ago with the collection, this must be around 8 years ago now, funny thing I found a box of un-painted when sorting through the cuboard the other day so may well add to the collection. Did you see the NAM exhibition around 9-10 years ago called "Ashes&Blood" the British Army in South Africa?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 05:28:59 AM by Colonel Tavington »

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 09:00:34 AM »
Really? I asked them and they told me they were going to release some 1879 boers, but that was a year ago. There isn't a lot to choose from for the 1880 war either :(

Yes. Had a fairly long chat with them; late October was mentioned (IIRC) and they were clear that I would not have to convert the figures for uses as volunteer horse for anything up to the mid 1920's....

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 09:16:22 AM »

BTW..... I have not purchased these "Mafeking" figures yet as I have not seen them in the flesh to speak of! Are there any pictures anywhere!

Here:
http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html

In the "select a range" drop-down menu, select "Siege of Mafeking" and you'll see plenty of pics of them painted and "in action". For some reason there aren't any pics in the range listing, but the ones of the game are superb  :D

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 09:40:31 AM »
I have seen the Mafeking shots and figures in action but I would like to see images of each pack! Do you know if Dave Thomas carries them to the shows!

........ if anyones has any spare Foundry BW I am more than happy to exchange currency with them!!!..... good old pounds sterling!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 03:39:33 PM »
Yep, Dave Thomas does carry them at shows. Just ask him to point them out as it's a very small range and is usually tucked away amongst all the Perry 'best sellers'.

Darrell.

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 01:19:22 PM »
I was chatting with Dave and sidekick Phil at Colours about stuff! However I wasn't in the BW frame of mind at that time! If I get to Warfare I will take a look at the racks.

However I was looking on the Hinchcliffe site and looking at the 12 & 15 pdrs they produce, I may have to add  these in but I have quite a few field guns already! They do look quite good though!

As for OG British for the BW are these any good?