Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:37:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690825
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 724
Total: 729

Recent

Author Topic: Campaigns - multiple Threshold teams  (Read 2093 times)

Offline GregX999

• Librarian
Campaigns - multiple Threshold teams
« on: October 14, 2010, 04:46:38 PM »
Ok, the title maybe isn't very clear...

I'm looking for ideas. Ideas for what to do if you've got a number of people (2, 3, 4, etc.) and you all want to play in some sort of campaign.

If each player created a Threshold team, and each team played a game in rotation, with different players taking turns playing Lurkers, how do you know which team "wins" at the end of the campaign? And how do you determine the end of the campaign?

How could you weave "big games" into the story of the campaign - by "big games", I mean more than one Threshold team on the table at once - with objectives that require cooperating with the other team(s), but still trying to come out on top.

One idea I had is to create profiles for a series of Lurker "bosses", each worth more BP than the last. And perhaps there could be a new Quest scenario (2 map pieces) called something like "Boss Fight" (or something more creative) where the Lurker player would have to take the appropriate boss along with whatever else they want to take (whichever is next in the series for that Threshold team). It like the end of a level in a video game. Besides spending 2 map pieces, the team would also have to have a minimum BP. Or maybe also have to have found some special artifact or tome (perhaps the finding of which requires two teams working together). The first team to beat the final boss would "win".

Would Threshold teams be so competitive?

"You should have seen the ghoul I killed with my shotgun!"
"Well, you should have seen the fish-man that I dispatched with my .45, after it ripped my arm off!"
"Oh yeah? You should have seen the formless thing I hacked up with my cleaver, after it devoured the rest of my team!"
"That's nothing! You should have seen..."
lol

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
Re: Campaigns - multiple Threshold teams
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 06:41:34 PM »
It sounds interesting. Would it be in diferent places and sending results by email or to be played in some club?

Offline GregX999

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 12:23:06 AM »
I was thinking in terms of a group of friends all living near each other that they could get together for games. But they're just vague ideas I'm tossing around in my head. :)

Just looking for feedback and other's ideas as well.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 03:23:52 PM »
Some good ideas there.

Don't want to spoil the suprise but you may find the rules for 'Black Dossier Scenarios' in Shocking Tales #2 quite useful...not exactly what you are looking for but will be quite good for mini campaigns.

For now, I usually declare the 'winner' by playing a set number of games (say 30...) and whoever is still alive 'wins'... >:D

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
You could also cook up some sort of victory point system, based on wins, objectives achieved, etc.

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 10:57:32 PM »
My 2 cents worth has all ready been suggested - who ever is still alive at the end of the game.

Maybe players get more points than players that had to replace more agents. i.e.  each player has x starting agents and you x points for each mission they survive.  If you have to replace an agent, you get less points at the end of the next game.

And for Victory points  - break the games down into Total Victory (4 points) Major Victory (3 points) Minor Victory (2 points) Break even (1 point) and loss (could be scaled like the victories from 0 to -3 points).

Offline Lupus

• Mad Scientist
    • http://z11.invisionfree.com/Kashindan/index.php?act=idx
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 02:08:23 PM »
Though surviving with any shread of sanity is the fun part :D  I think most of mine have the odd moment or three in games..

Become who you really are... [/i]