Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:08:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Just read the rules - a few questions...  (Read 2930 times)

Offline GregX999

• Librarian
Just read the rules - a few questions...
« on: October 13, 2010, 03:32:33 PM »
I just got the rules yesterday and have read through them already. Wow, I really like them! I can't wait to play a game, they seem to really capture that "certain feel". ;D

I went back a number of pages in this sub-forum and found answers to some questions I had, but not all.

1. If a figure has random M score (ie: Fishman), do I need to declare if both actions will be used for movement BEFORE I roll the die for the first action? (The "Example of Game Play" hints at this.)

2. If a figure translates a scroll or tome, can the spells be given to different figures (ie: if one figure has Read Languages and another has Speak Languages)? Can spells be "held" and given to models at a later time (and if so, would it have to be a re-equip phase, or just any post-game sequence) or be moved from one figure to another (like a piece of gear)?

3. In the Monster Hunt scenario, if a Winged Nightmare carries a good guy off the table on its last action of its turn, is the game over because there are no more Lurkers on the table? Or can it come back after Threshold take a turn? What if the good guy being carried off was the last one on the table and the table is now empty?

4. In the Treasure Hunt scenario: a) Can a board section be searched more than once? By the same figure? b) If all lurkers are removed but the treasure has not been found, can it be found? c) If Threshold found the treasure but didn't remove it, in order to open it, do they need to give up ALL Map Piece searching, or just 1 figure's?

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
Re: Just read the rules - a few questions...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
Glad you're excited about the game Greg!  I can answer your first question easily: actions are taken one at a time, so in this case you declare your first move, roll to determine the M value, move the model, and then decide what you want to do with your second action.  Note that a second move action requires it's own movement roll.

For the remainder, I shall consult with Mike.  You've hit on a few grey areas there that will require his expert interpretation.  We always appreciate players bringing these sorts of questions forward, as it lets us know where we need to clarify the rules.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 06:23:04 PM »
Hey Greg,

Lidless is correct on the Fishman front...as far as your other questions:

2. Once your scroll/tome has become a spell you are free to equip it to any model in your Threshold list. This can be done at any time before or after any game.

3. Yes, the game would end if you used the last Action of your Turn to leave the table and had no other models on the table.

4.a) No, you can't search twice. b) Yes, at the expense of searching for Map Pieces. c) All rolls for Map Pieces are forfeit.

Some good questions there! You had us going through our rulebooks!  ;) :)

Offline GregX999

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 08:04:03 PM »
Some good questions there! You had us going through our rulebooks!  ;) :)

Thanks! I'm pretty good and reading a set of rules and instantly coming up with all manner of goofy gray areas, contradictions and "what if" scenarios that would probably happen less than once in a hundred games. :D

I found another while reading the "Surrounded" scenario in Shocking Tales #1. The Lurker player could conceivably keep the game going forever - or until they finally kill off the Threshold figures with a lucky roll or two. If the Lurker player chooses enough 4BP or less figures, he can just keep bringing them back to life as long as he can keep at least one alive at all times (by keeping it away from any Threshold figs) and just use the others to try to mob-up on the Threshold figs.

Although - in this case - it could just be that I'm being ignorant of how hard that would actually be since I've yet to play the game.
lol

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 08:41:53 PM »
I try that from time to time...usually no cure for your Cult Leader getting a bullet through his head. Still, can be fairly effective.

Offline GregX999

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 10:26:12 PM »
Does it matter if the cult leader is killed? It just says that "all" Lurkers need to be killed (or all Threshold) for the game to end.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 10:41:32 PM »
Just makes it harder to get anything done without a model that has Command to nominate other models. You get a few more kicks at the can but usually you get hunted down as you become less effective...such is life in a cult... :?

Offline Lupus

• Mad Scientist
    • http://z11.invisionfree.com/Kashindan/index.php?act=idx
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 01:07:02 PM »
Have to agree once your down to one action per turn life can be hard.  If the Good guys can knock people down injured you find they can mop up resistance very quickly.

Become who you really are... [/i]