Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:14:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Knight bus from Harry Potter in 28mm  (Read 9423 times)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
Knight bus from Harry Potter in 28mm
« on: October 23, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »

From the Harry Potter Lexicon:

The Knight Bus is a triple-decker, violently purple bus which has The Knight Bus written over it's windshield in gold letters. The Knight Bus provides emergency transport for the stranded witch or wizard; all they need to do is hold out their wand hand. It is also possible to book a seat on the Knight Bus for trips around Britain (PA, OP).
Ernie Prang
The conductor of the Knight Bus is Stan Shunpike. He wears a purple uniform, has large protruding ears, and quite a few pimples. Stan is about 18 years old. The driver is Ernie Prang, an elderly wizard wearing very thick glasses. In the film version, he is aided by a talking shrunken head hanging in the windshield (Brit.: windscreen). This does not occur in the book, however.

The driver and conductor sit in the front of the bus in armchairs. During the night, there are no other seats on board, rather the Knight Bus provides a half a dozen brass bedsteads per level. In daytime, the beds are replaced by armchairs for the passengers. Lighting comes from Knight Buscandles in brackets on the walls. A small wooden staircase leads to the upper floors. The ride is very bumpy as the bus seems to jump erratically from one place to another. If you're not careful, you will find yourself thrown around the interior of the bus during it's travels. One frequent passenger, Madam Marsh, has been known to actually throw up while riding the bus.

The fare from Little Whinging to London is eleven sickles. For an extra two sickles you get hot chocolate and if you pay two more besides, you get a hot water bottle and a toothbrush to boot.

According to Stan, the Knight Bus travels anywhere you want to go, as long as it's on land.

(PA3)

Where does the name "Knight Bus" come from?
by Morag Traynor

"Knight Bus" is a play on "Night Bus" - WEB LINKNight Buses run through the night in London and, after the Tube and trains stop running (around midnight) are the only public transport available. They are a very welcome sight when they (eventually) turn up to take you home, and are the traditional red double-deckers, so it can feel as if a knight in shining armour has come to rescue you. The roads being clearer at that time of night, once you are out of the centre, the bus bounces along at a considerable pace, for a bus, tree-branches rattle along the roof and you're sure the driver's never going to make that corner (but he always does) so the whole experience is not unlike the Knight Bus - apart from the comfortable beds, panelling and chandeliers, of course! I also love the name Ernie Prang - "prang" is old RAF (based on Malay, I think) slang for "crash", extended to road traffic, and is associated with a rather insouciant attitude to crashes, as in "pranged the Jag last week - what a bore!". The Knight Bus is another example of JKR finding the magic in the everyday, or, in this case, every night.

I started this project a while ago. Now I excavated it again and made some interior that aims to match the description from the lexicon. The bus is made from conversions of two of these souvenir models you can buy almost everywhere.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Knight bus from Harry Potter in 28mm
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 09:00:24 PM »
Cheaper than the Corgi (?) model, I guess! Great conversion work, especially considering the material, and I cannot wait to see it painted.

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 09:04:47 PM »
Lovely  :-*
But does it do that compression trick?  :D
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 09:05:10 PM »
Cheaper than the Corgi (?) model, I guess!

Yes, I used to own that nice Corgi model too when I was a child. I remember those "diamond" headlights...

These were cheaper indeed: Tesco, 5 GBP.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 09:29:47 PM »
Yes, I used to own that nice Corgi model too when I was a child. I remember those "diamond" headlights...

These were cheaper indeed: Tesco, 5 GBP.

No, I meant the Corgi Knight Bus model. Haven't seen it in a while, but I think it was at least 12-15 quid and didn't have a proper interior. The flying Anglia was quite nice, though.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 09:33:02 PM »
No, I meant the Corgi Knight Bus model.

I only know about the one in 1/76 scale.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 09:35:15 PM »
I only know about the one in 1/76 scale.

Could be the one. As said, I haven't seen it in quite some time, and it was probably "box scale" (and thus close to 00).

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 10:27:42 PM »
Looks really good. Can't wait to see the paint job.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 07:34:28 PM »
Ah, this made me smile. Well done!

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 11:14:45 PM »
Is this ever finished? ???
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 06:40:28 AM »
Is this ever finished? ???

Regretfully not, but it will be. I have had a spray painting accident by using some purple car paint that has to be stripped again. I lost the drive to progress when that happened, but the project is only delayed - not dead!

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 06:46:15 AM »
Hadn't seen this one before and to tell the truth, didn't even know about HP's Knigh bus before this one but love your work on this nevertheless. Great detailing, hope to see the end result  8)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 05:49:49 AM »
This might get new attention, now?  ;)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 08:36:46 AM »
Fantastic conversion! :o Is this because Knight Models have got the license for tge Harry Potter game?

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 10:16:13 AM »
An excellent conversion.

8)