Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:12:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690846
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Where in the world is Hercule Poirot?  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Where in the world is Hercule Poirot?
« on: October 24, 2010, 02:43:53 AM »
Hello all,

I have been mulling over an idea for a small game using the following miniatures to represent characters from Poirot:

On the far left you of course have Inspector Japp (or he could be the other moustached figure), followed by Miss Lemon, and ofcourse Capt. Hastings reading the paper! Ariadne could be sourced from elsewhere too.

What I want to do is have some little games where you play as one of the four characters looking for the missing Poirot!

I'm not sure how to make this work. I guess each character could be attributed a particular bonus... Japp could have a gun, for instance, that neither of the other characters could have.

So... which ruleset? I guess the encounter token mechanic from .45 Adventures could be the most useful, and there could be a series of cards that reveal a clue as to where Poirot has got to. Three clues gives you the correct answer. A clue could be hidden on each gaming board, and each board could be a different part of the world.

I have a feeling this could get boring fairly quickly...

So I thought I'd put it out there and see if anybody has done anything similar or ave any good ideas I could borrow!

Offline Photographer

• Mad Scientist
    • Double 0 Sven
Re: Where in the world is Hercule Poirot?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 11:56:38 AM »
Those are wonderful figures!
Secret Agent KKBB Blog

http://double0sven.blogspot.com/

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 02:36:38 PM »
Excellent figure choices, particularly Japp and Hastings. Miss Lemon is a wee bit frumpy for my taste... ::)
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Tsune

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 03:18:12 PM »
Hi,

It have not to be necessarily boring... but you have to put something to urge the players or press them in some way.

I think the token approach from .45 could be what you want. I did a similar scenario in the first one of the campaign "return to the valley...: Benito revenge" that you can view in this forum (and that today I have finish to translate). The players have to search for a person. I ruled it so they have to find three different tokens to find him at the same scenario (because if you put only one, it is possible to find it in the first token). At the same time, if there is not going to be fighting, you have to press them. For exemple, you can tell them that they have to find the clues before the train departs (and you can have a card deck to do the countback), and the rest of tokens can be events that delay them, or so...

One think I have seen that makes the scenario work is if you change the gamerules in the middle of the scenario. For exemple, they do not know that the train is going to depart and they know it when someone tells them (an token even, and then start the countback). It is perfect to break their planned strategy and press them. In the campaign "Return.." you can see some exemples of it. In the four scenario, for exemple, that they had to find an ancient idol to open the door while fighting the zombies, they found in the middle of the scenario that the open gate only last for three turns (so, the players with the pcs tart to run to the gate to be close, and later an event make that Benito and a child were taken by a pteradon, and taken to their nest in the far corner. The players that were running to the gate now have to decide if continue or come backk to rescue them with the risk to be themselves trapped in the valley).

Hope this helps...