Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:53:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Is the Shotgun too cheap ?  (Read 2017 times)

Offline sigma957

• Assistant
Is the Shotgun too cheap ?
« on: October 30, 2010, 04:36:24 PM »
After playing and enjoying 7 or 8  games both my opponent and I have come to the conclusion that the the Shotgun is too cheap.

It costs the same BP as a .45, has exactly the same statistics as a .45, but also has 2 special rules.

For common sense reasons we don't allow models to have 2 shotguns, so unless the model is using 2 .45s
we can see no reason why you would not want to equip the model with a Shotgun instead.

What does everyone else think ?

We did consider giving Ready to the Shotgun but thought that was too big a penalty, so have just increased the Shotgun BP to 1.5 as a House Rule

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Re: Is the Shotgun too cheap ?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 06:06:21 PM »
Good question. The .45 is the standard weapon of Threshold, Characters and Agents receive one free with the starting profile...making it 'cheaper' in this regard. As you have already stated another bonus of the .45 is the ability to use two in the same Action to Shoot. Finally, if you have Shocking Tales #1 you can buy ammunition (Silver Bullets and Hollow Points) to make the .45 more useful in various situations.

Plus, if a Shotgun cost more you couldn't have a bunch of Shotgun wielding Cultists running around!  :P

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 08:45:25 PM »
the Shotgun is too cheap.

Blasphemy!

One way to limit the wide spread purchasing and toting of shotguns is to allow only figures that have been sculpted with one to actually have them.

I have only one shot gun in my Threshold unit, because only one figure can be seen to be carrying one.  The same goes for rifles, machine guns and tommy guns. (and meat cleavers, sabers and spears)

All other weapons are small enough that I don't worry if the figure has one or not.

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 04:10:46 PM »
we limit them exactly the same way as Sigma957,

you have to have a model with it sculpted on or converted (and painted too!)

regards

jim
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline sigma957

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 10:22:22 AM »
Blasphemy!
Well we are cultists ! lol

One way to limit the wide spread purchasing and toting of shotguns is to allow only figures that have been sculpted with one to actually have them.
I agree, we also think the game is more fun if the Threshold models are carrying the right equipment and as the Threshold models are the same each time we don't mind purchasing them.

However, as we don't have all the possible combinations of Lurker models (and probably never will), we do allow reasonable proxies. e.g. a cultist with an SMG can be said to have a Rifle or a Shotgun instead.

I would hate in a friendly game, not allowing my opponent to field a Lurker just because they didn't have the right miniatue.  :o

Offline sigma957

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 10:48:12 AM »
Plus, if a Shotgun cost more you couldn't have a bunch of Shotgun wielding Cultists running around!  :P
Oh yes you can ! lol

In SA currently, for 15 BP you can have a Cult Leader (5BP) and 5 Cultists with Shotguns (5 x 1+1 BP)

With our revised cost you can have a Cult Leader (5BP) and 4 Cultists with Shotguns (4 x 1+1.5 BP)

I don't find it hampers my evil creativity too much  ;D but at the end of the day it is only a House Rule.

I do have a copy of Shocking Tales #1, which I think is great, however I feel the ammunition types actually magnify the problem, you in effect end up paying 2BP  for the .45 (1BP for the .45, 1BP for the ammunition) when you could buy a Shotgun for only 1BP. Whilst for Threshold models this is not too big a problem, for Lurkers I would go with the Shotgun every time.

I should say I have no problem with any of the other weapon costs and find them all well balanced,  it is just the Shotgun that I feel is too cheap.

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 11:15:23 AM »
Am happy to leave it as it is, as both parties can buy  shotguns for the same points, and there is scope in
the game to work around it.

I don’t agree with having your appoint having to have the miniature equipped with said weapon to play the game, there is very little in the way of miniatures manufacture out there making miniatures to play this game, even Uncle Mike does not cover every thing in the weapon range on his miniatures and not every one can convert.
That’s not to say I don’t use converted miniature my self and I do like my miniatures to look the part if it‘s possible to convert them, if you look at my pictures on my Blog you will see the odd sword or machete and flamethrower, I just would not impose it on any one I play with.

Blog
http://jnrpaintshop.blogspot.com/