Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:15:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691054
  • Total Topics: 118367
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Canucks!  (Read 5452 times)

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
    • Tim's Miniature Wargaming Blog
Re: Canucks!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 01:10:16 AM »
If I was going to be really vile I would tell you that the 3rd Division had a high proportion of Mark IV helmets, issue to them as a D-Day assault formation.

Oh, I know... but really, how many others are going to know (or care) besides you and me? This way it gives us pedants the opportunity to show off our mastery of military minutiae by pointing out what's wrong. They also had different boots!

The Crusader and Bolt Action helmets are covered in Camouflage and it's hard to tell exactly which helmets they are wearing. The West Wind and others obviously have the "wrong" helmet - but hey, maybe not everyone was issued one in time - or old salts wanted to hold onto their "lucky" helmet...

I'm sure I've seen pics of guys landing on Juno Beach with the older model of helmet, but perhaps they're follow on troops from the reserve brigade (9th) or even the 2nd Division landing some time later...

cheers!  ;)

Offline Count Winsky

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 02:44:30 AM »
Very nice job!!
“There is no force like success, and that is why the individual makes all effort to surround himself throughout life with the evidence of it; as of the individual, so should it be of the nation.”

Marcus Garvey

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 08:40:09 PM »
Very nice. I agree with your dilemma re: unit patches.

Although I think Canadians at least were pretty good about removing such to reduce battlefield intel available to Jerry. That's the excuse I use for not painting them on anyway.

I may have to use your pics as reference later on; a client says he has some in the queue for me once I'm done his Huns.

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 03:33:56 PM »
Finished up the last few to make a full platoon:

...and here is the full platoon:

Now for some Armoured support!! Platoon of Shermans coming up next!

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 04:05:58 PM »
Having finished off the Sherman Troop my force of 28mm WW2 Canadians is complete! (well... for now...) and here they are:

I’m six riflemen shy of two full-strength rifle platoons. It’ll probably be a while before I pick them up because when would they have ever gone into action with nine – let alone a full ten!?

Supporting the Rifle platoons are two tubes of 3” mortars and their crews from the battalion’s Mortar Platoon, a six-pounder from the Anti-Tank Platoon, a couple sappers from the Pioneer Platoon, moving and firing Vickers teams from the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa (the divisional  MG Battalion), a scout car from the 7th Reconnaissance Regiment (17th Duke of Yorks Royal Canadian Hussars – the Divisional Reconnaissance Regiment), and a troop of Shermans from the 1st Hussars (6th Armoured Regiment, 2nd Independent Canadian Armoured Brigade – who were in direct support of the 7th Brigade on D-Day).

Mixed up in that lot are figures from Artizan Designs, Bolt Action Miniatures, Black Tree Design, West Wind Productions, Crusader Miniatures, and First Corps.

Offline Kieffer

• Bookworm
  • Sky Marshal
    • Petites figurines pour grandes batailles
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 05:58:51 PM »
Really impressive. ;)

Wich rule do you intent to play with ?

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 06:05:50 PM »
Really impressive. ;)

Wich rule do you intent to play with ?

Cheers!

I use Savage Worlds for all my skirmish gaming. It works for the folks I run games for and I just can't be bothered to learn different sets of rules for every period I'm interested in...

Game reports can bee seen at Savage Timmy's Playhouse, thought the Canucks may not show up there anytime soon as we're in the middle of an East Front Campaign.

Offline Kieffer

• Bookworm
  • Sky Marshal
    • Petites figurines pour grandes batailles
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 07:14:07 PM »
Thanks for the kind answer.
I have read a large part of the Savage Timmy's Playhouse, great games you seem to have. ;)

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 01:05:03 AM »
You need some Wasps now too. And the ubiquitous Universal Carriers.

I think by late '44 a platoon of Wasps were organic to every rifle battalion. Company assaults were regularly supported by a section of 3 Wasps. Better supported attacks had Crocodiles and Shermans.

At least that's the impression I'm getting reading Zuelkhe's Terrible Victory and On To Victory.

But very nice indeed.

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2010, 01:36:18 AM »
You need some Wasps now too. And the ubiquitous Universal Carriers.

Yes, I've been eyeing up the ones Bolt Action/Warlord Games makes for a while (though I can't see them in their web store at the moment!?)... some time... probably in the new year.

I think by late '44 a platoon of Wasps were organic to every rifle battalion. Company assaults were regularly supported by a section of 3 Wasps. Better supported attacks had Crocodiles and Shermans.

Wow, really? I had no idea. I've seen a picture of them supporting an attack across a canal in the Netherlands - but I always assumed they would be a divisional asset (from the divisional Engineering regiment).

Would they have been issued to the Battalion's Pioneer Platoon, then? I'll have to look into that! Thanks!

At least that's the impression I'm getting reading Zuelkhe's Terrible Victory and On To Victory.

I just picked up his Juno Beach book for some reading this winter. I really liked Ortona (which I read a few years back). I'll probably follow up Holding Juno, and the others.

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 02:18:38 AM »
Definitely a battlion asset by July 44. They appear to have been added to the Carrier platoon but I haven't found numbers yet or if they were additional to or replaced some of the carrier sections.