Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:17:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690535
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My BEF, France 1940 project (LOTS OF PICS) Tank & General finished pics 21/11/10  (Read 22532 times)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: My BEF, France 1940 project (LOTS OF PICS) small update-some pics 18/11/10
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 09:56:03 PM »
I meant the white squares which I thought were the anti-gas panels. I stand corrected. I was also surprised to discover that aircraft also had gas panels. :-I

I found this (sort of) reference...

Gas detector paint.
This paint was to be applied to an area on the front of vehicles and AFVs in order that the driver/ crew might see it immediately a gas attack occurred.  It changed colour in the presence of Mustard Gas.  This should be an area of approximately 18 x 18 inches, not regular in shape so as to blend in with any camouflage pattern applied.  This was usually applied ahead of the driver on the bonnet top or on a tray specially fitted to forward control cabs.  Against regulations, some senior staff cars sometimes had this in the form of a neat circle or square. Specified on motorcycles to be as a patch on top of the headlamp.  On AFVs applied to the glacis plate or the rear surface of headlamps on the cruiser tanks.

from MAFVA
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:18:55 PM by Jim Hale »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: My BEF, France 1940 project (LOTS OF PICS) small update-some pics 18/11/10
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 11:52:30 PM »
I've also seen examples of the anti gas splodge applied atop the turret as well as on the glacis and some on the inside of the trackguard.  In most photos it's pretty hard to pick out.

The white recognition sqaures should also repeat on the vertical surface of the glacis, if you haven't already done so.

Sorry this is terribly arcane and very anoraky.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
At Long last I have finished the Matilda Tank, and A General Character, as stated before I am painting what looks right, not to  be replicas of uniform and equipment down to badges and numbering, the name is non-existant, though does follow correct convention of starting with G. on reading about Gas paint earlier in thread thought I would add a square in front of driver, then read it is an irregullar patch, well sod it! I like the way it looks now so it is staying that way, I really like the way the grass tufts on mud have turned out, I had this idea at the begining but not sure if would like right, I then saw it used on a 1/35th model in the Osprey modelling guide I bought so decided to go ahead. The general took longer than I intended (must do troops quicker!) but I am really pleased with the result. Anyway heres the photo's decide for yourself (will get better photos later in daylight):

Next I am creating the Crossfire base for him, as I stated earlier, all figures will slot in to movement bases for Crossfire, this how I do it, place figures on base, draw around each one so you have correct positioning, then hold figure in place whilst you fix a worm of Milliput around base, blend outer edges in base ensuring you get a good fix, finally and most importantly wiggle figure around to very slightly expand before carefuly removing figure. I allow one to dry before attempting the next to avind any damage. I will probaly use magnetic tape to ensure figures safety.

Next Figures some British Infantry (20 figs)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 02:30:24 AM by elysium64 »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Well I'm impressed and it certainly looks the part too. 'Tankie Bob' is a nice addition and looks natural, rather than the overpainted figures you often see. Well done!  :)

Offline elysium64

• Mastermind
A couple of better pics. Still not great will wait for a better day to take more.

Offline elysium64

• Mastermind
Started on the first of my 2 x 2 board and the ruined Forward Command Post.
On the base board I have glued the grass mating down for the fields, heed to add polyfilla for the roads (photo's tomorrow).
For the cottage I used a foam board available from Antenociti that has no card on outside. I started out by marking out important heights these are height to window bottoms 15mm, window tops 35mm, top of wall 45mm (all measurements from base of board).
I then drew out all the elements that make this building up.

I then drew in the lints above the Door and windows and the window sills, by using a biro and pressing hard you leave an impression hopefully suitable for dry brushing. then the  long slow and boring job of drawing out all the stonework ready for drybrushing.

Tomorrow I cut out the panels and assemble.

Also today I based  up the Foundry WW2 motorcyclist kindly donated by a member on Frothers, painted all the base flesh on the Bef British. More tomorrow.

Offline elysium64

• Mastermind
Just a quick photo of where I am upto with the board and Command post, will start painting tomorrow.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
lovely, i really like it!

but i suggest you to draw the rocks on the inside. or ar you plasterin it?

For the cottage I used a foam board available from Antenociti that has no card on outside.
can you tell me the exact name of this?

cause i should be really interested in this, but there are different brands of foam on the antenocity! :)

Offline elysium64

• Mastermind
Cottage to be plastered on the inside (that way I can add some colour).
When speahing to Jed he has refered to Foam Board, I suggest you send him an email, he is alway's very helpful.

Offline Danrit

• Assistant
I have only just happened upon this thread, love what you've done. We've just had a baby so the painting table has been removed and the old back room full of paints and Airfix kits is now a nursery. How selfish of Baby. Anyhow, I'm living my painting dreams through you Elysium, please continue!

Offline elysium64

• Mastermind
I have only just happened upon this thread, love what you've done. We've just had a baby so the painting table has been removed and the old back room full of paints and Airfix kits is now a nursery. How selfish of Baby. Anyhow, I'm living my painting dreams through you Elysium, please continue!

This is exactly my reasoning behind this project, recreating all the models I had  as a child I even spent £40.00 on a 1/48th
Classic Airframes Blenhem IV as the old Airfix one was probaly my first ever kit, after similarly priced CA Defiant, Fairey Battle, Anson and a couple of cheaper Hurricanes (This is a long term goal!) and then design a scenario for defending an Airfield.
I have a platoon of French as I used to have a lot of Heller Kits so I can get a few tanks and a regiment of Cavalry, would also like to build a limbered french Artillery peice.

The AGN Somua S35: http://www.agnminiatures.com/html/france.html arrived yesterday a beautiful little model compatable in size with the Bef Matilda, even though it has a resin base which I wasn't to keen on at first, but am now quite happy with. Will add pictures when I finish the dry brushing on the cottage.

Offline Danrit

• Assistant
If you need any help with colour schemes, uniforms etc. just ask. I've got a wealth of material. My Grandfather was in the French army in 1940 so it's always been a favourite of mine. Keep up the great work!

Offline elysium64

• Mastermind
If you need any help with colour schemes, uniforms etc. just ask. I've got a wealth of material. My Grandfather was in the French army in 1940 so it's always been a favourite of mine. Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the kind offer, will probaly take you up on that when I get to painting the French.
At the moment I am still slogging on with the base board, and other scenery, should be finished tomorrow (taken longer than I anticipated~Always does :'() Then back to painting one squad of British and one of Germans, so at least then I can run a couple of skirmish games.