Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:05:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Victorian Terrace - Finished  (Read 15164 times)

Offline Mors

• Scientist
    • Tales from thr Green Dragom
Re: Victorian Terrace - Finished
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2010, 01:11:07 PM »
So modest, I bet they look good

looked at them again for the first time in ages, possibly if I redo the roof's they may be servicable. But with all the fantastic threads on here by yourself and PM and others I think I will have another go.

Thanks for letting me know the style brick I'm painting too, I wondered what it was called

In light of what I do in my real life its the one thing I do know about. Here is a brief summary of the major types of bricks used in Victorian London using generic terms.

Yellow Stocks - The most 'typical' brick used in the area, normally yellow all the way through (ie in the middle of the brick if you chopped it in half).Shades varied from bright yellow to more browny type. Countless works sprung up around the Thames during the building boom of the 19th C , the last remaining true yellow works is Smeed Dean  at Sittingbourne.

Yellow Multi - Sometimes looks like the yellow as above and sometimes yellows with reds amongst it in varying percentages , normally dark baked in the middle of the brick.

Mixed Stocks - As it sounds, varied colours of yellows , reds and purply blues to almost black

London Red Stock- A sort of pinky red , with the mixed stock above probably the cheapest sort of brick

Handmade and Soft Reds-   A more expensive type, sometimes used for the front of a building with a cheaper brick down the flanks and rear , sometimes used all the way round.The very soft type were known as red rubbers and were used for arches and detailed work.

Gaults-A smooth off white brick from the Cambridge area used on the better quality propertys , particular west london round Kensington and Knightsbridge.Sometimes used on the quoins(corners) only, as a detail brick. The water authorty buildings between Sunbury and Hampton Court are good examples.

Staffordshire Blues- A very hard blue brick often used in Railway Stations and on bridges , particularly for capping walls.

Of course there are others too, wirecuts , commons and different types of stocks, but at our scale the differences are irrelevant.

I know what you all are thinking and you are right, I do need to get out more!

Mors
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 01:13:37 PM by Mors »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2010, 08:16:56 PM »
Sh#t a brick!! More than I think I ever wanted to know about bricks but strangely fascinating at the same time. Thanks for sharing.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline der teufel

• Assistant
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2013, 04:50:19 PM »
outstanding, simply outstanding

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2013, 06:31:00 AM »
I agree - very nice. The little details tell a story of the terrain (usually we only do this for the miniatures).
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen