Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:04:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690915
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 624
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help needed:Judge Dredd Minis  (Read 5557 times)

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
Help needed:Judge Dredd Minis
« on: November 07, 2010, 02:38:45 PM »
Hi
Think im gonna start a Judge Dredd Collection.After Browsing the Foundry/Mongoose Sites i have some Questions:

1:Why are the Foundry Judges so much more expensive?Better Sculpts,more Details or what?

2:Do they fit together,and whats their Scale? they look like large 28mm/30mm Minis

3:My Local Gamestore has this old Gamebox:Gangs of Megacity One,would you buy it?Its only 20 Bucks and iam really interested in the Rulebook,but not so much in the Plastic Minis...

4:Besides Foundry and Mongoose is there any other Company who makes Judge Dredd Minis in 28mm?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Help needed:Judge Dredd Minis
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 04:37:37 PM »
Hi, I recently got a whole bunch of various Foundry and Mongoose judges.

As for your questions:

1. They are Foundry, and Foundry considers themselves in a position that allows themselves to charge a considerably higher price for their product (although they seem to realize it won't work forever). Also, the 2000AD range always seemed to be aimed more at collectors than at gamers (it's rather incomplete in several areas, most notably the ABC Warriors).

2. The Foundry Figures are very tall, a good 32mm as compared to "heroic 28" for the Mongoose figures. From my judgement, Foundry do have sharper detail, and the poses are superb renditions of the various artworks in the stories - I hope to "ezquerrify" mine a bit further by giving them a bit of a wrinkled, grizzled look.

The difference in size is not really pronounced, I think they'll work well together, but both ranges are "big" figures. Certainly incompatible with the Citadel ones (see 4.).

3. If you are out for the rulebook, you might want to download the free new version of the rules Mongoose are offering. I've downloaded them and am in the process of doing a proper layout for my own use. Quite impressive and encompassing.

4. Citadel used to do a range back in the 1980s. I have a couple left (swapped some Judges and Lawmaster Bikes recently), and they are TINY, with capital T, I, N and Y. Also, the style is a bit crowded, quite typical for 1980s, and some details are quite soft. In terms of accuracy and quality representation of the characters, they are good, but Foundry do a better job.

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 05:13:25 PM »
Thank you both - Dr Falkenhayn for asking the question (as I had been meaning to do the same thing for a while), and to Westfalia Chris for a nice, comprehensive answer.
I'm very interested in doing some Judge Dredd gaming (fond memories of the old GW roleplaying game, which I managed to get on eBay recently), and wondered exactly the same thing about the compatability of the Foundry and Mongoose lines. It also helps me with another idea I was toying with - that of using converted GW Space Marine bikes as Lawmasters. If the Foundry models are as tall as you say they are, it would work perfectly.

Now I just need to track down some of the old GW fatty models - used to have a few, but I have no idea where they went....
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 05:23:29 PM »
Thank you both - Dr Falkenhayn for asking the question (as I had been meaning to do the same thing for a while), and to Westfalia Chris for a nice, comprehensive answer.
I'm very interested in doing some Judge Dredd gaming (fond memories of the old GW roleplaying game, which I managed to get on eBay recently), and wondered exactly the same thing about the compatability of the Foundry and Mongoose lines. It also helps me with another idea I was toying with - that of using converted GW Space Marine bikes as Lawmasters. If the Foundry models are as tall as you say they are, it would work perfectly.

Definitely, and thanks for a nice idea which I may steal shamelessly at a later time (but if I do, remind me to give you credit). The old Citadel bikes were okay, but a bit compact even when compared to the Citadel judges, and quite soft in detail.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 05:53:44 PM »
 There are also several Heroclix Judges too.Nice enough sculpts and can be picked up quite cheaply.

Mongoose will be bringing new Fatties out soon and more new miniatures.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 09:00:21 PM »
the heroclix judges are the same sculptor as some of the Foundry judges (wings curved forward on the shoulder eagle) so match perfectly...

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 09:28:54 PM »
That's what I was thinking, WC - I still have one or two of the old bikes knocking about, and they're small, even for the smaller Citadel Judges (small, that is, compared to how they're depicted in the comic). I think for the GW Space Marine bikes, all it would take would be an eagle over the front of the bike (and if I remember correctly, there is a Space Marine chapter that has this very bit for its bikes), and then a relocation of the bike cannons from the handlebars to the sides.

Good to know about the Clix judges too - thanks anevilgiraffe and manic-miner. Oh, and good news about the Mongoose fatties too!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 09:57:36 PM »
The Space Marine bike you're thinking about might be the Chaplain on a bike.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440271a&prodId=prod1050249

I can't think of a Chapter that uses bikes with a particular eagle icon.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 10:17:19 PM »
The Space Marine bike you're thinking about might be the Chaplain on a bike.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440271a&prodId=prod1050249

I can't think of a Chapter that uses bikes with a particular eagle icon.

I think there were some conversion bits for the Dark Angels' Ravenwing Company, but I might be mistaken. I'd guess you could quite easily build a master bit from plasticard, and then make copies of the "eagle bodykit" - it looks quite angular in a lot of the pics I've seen, and to be honest, I do prefer the sharper-looking, more modern versions of many 2000AD thingies.

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 12:39:47 AM »
Ravenwing - that's it. I was thinking of the wings. Having looked at the GW website, though, I see that they consist of just the wings on the outer edges of the front of the book. I like the idea of making a master from plasticard, though, and just popping it on the front.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 12:42:42 AM »
Ah, OK, I should really have thought of that. Sorry for being dense!

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 07:49:11 AM »
thx Guys for the Infos! SM Bikes? Nope,im in the :To Hell with GW Faction!  :)

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 08:59:31 AM »
 Mongoose will be bringing a new bike out soon too.

Topics like this make me want to start my own Dredd thing.

I have the Bronzeage Rogue Trooper miniatures for one such project.

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 03:31:55 PM »
Not at all, Red Orc - my post was vague because I couldn't remember the name of the chapter I was thinking of. I've always liked the bikes, so the idea appeals to me, although Manic_Miner - you say that Mongoose are bringing a bike out soon? Mmmmm. Interesting.
Sorry for hijacking your thread, by the way, Dr Falkenhayn. It's just that I was wondering the same thing about scale when I saw your thread, because I think I want to have a go at making a modular Mega City One board, to do some Judge Dredd gaming.
Mega City is a big, difficult project, though. I'm still trying to figure out how to do three or four levels of roads effectively. I haven't even thought about the building yet.

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 03:40:01 PM »
Sorry for hijacking your thread, by the way, Dr Falkenhayn. It's just that I was wondering the same thing about scale when I saw your thread, because I think I want to have a go at making a modular Mega City One board, to do some Judge Dredd gaming.

No Problem,iam interested in any Infos,even SM Bikes Conversions!Ordered the First Batch of Judges from Mongoose today.I think im gonna buy just the special Judges from Foundry (the Croc for example)  ;D

Hell yeah i would like to see a Mega City Board!  :D