Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:57:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690963
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help needed:Judge Dredd Minis  (Read 5559 times)

Offline syr8766

• Librarian
Re: Help needed:Judge Dredd Minis
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 03:52:42 PM »
I would also agree on the Heroclix judges; nicely sculpted, need a little cleaning up and, based on my experience with other 'clix, easy to repaint.

I got the GOMC1 box (I assume this is the box of plastic gangers from Mongoose?) back when it first came out (at the time is was more like $10-$15 I think, at least at the Warstore) and immediately traded it away. I was not impressed with the quality of sculpts. But YMMV.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 06:04:16 PM »
Hell yeah i would like to see a Mega City Board!  :D

At Action (the Rheindahlen Wargames Club's convention) in 2006, there actually was a GOMC1 games table. It wasn't the most interesting at the show (for my taste), so I have to admit I didn't take as many pics as I would have now (with my increased interest in 2000AD)... anyway, I've got some 8 pics if you are interested:

Link to the Gallery

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 06:50:33 PM »
awesome!  :o Tons of Cool Stuff in yr Photobucket too!  ;D

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 10:35:17 PM »
That table is pretty darned impressive.
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 10:57:01 PM »
That table is pretty darned impressive.

I found it a bit disjointed. Don't get me wrong, all the individual components were nice and rather well done, but it didn't really "work as a coherent whole" - it lacked a bit of a general concept. I must add, though, that the only thing I knew from the Dredd universe back then was the movie, and that looked markedly different.

I'll admit, nonetheless, that the "megastructure" approach does make for a complicated game with regard to handling miniatures, so I'll cut them some slack there.

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 10:58:51 PM »
Thanks for the pics and link, WC - the table certainly gives me hope! I'm getting too hung up on the multiple levels of roads, I think. I need to concentrate on some blocks, and see how they shape the rest of the board. My idea was to have a couple of raised highways actually running through buildings, though, so it's clear that it's going to need a LOT of planning. I'd love to have some Lawmaster chases, so the roads are important. Oh, my copy of the old Judge Dredd roleplaying game arrived today, so lots of research ahead!

Dr Falkenhayn - looking forward to seeing your judges!

Westfalia - I agree. It's the megastructures aspect that's causing problems for me just to conceptualize the thing.
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 11:43:17 PM »
Westfalia - I agree. It's the megastructures aspect that's causing problems for me just to conceptualize the thing.

I think the key point is having proper "avenues of access" from every side of the table. So you could have a large central structure, and four raised roads projecting from it towards the table edges; clustered around that, you could have smaller buildings, getting continuously lower towards the edges, but of slightly differing heights to break up the overall silhouette; and relatively wide (8") road spaces into which you can reach to move the figures.

Also, you could cover some areas on the lowest level with sheets depicting a "chasm", with fake perspective. Of course, that will be a bit tricky to get to look right (and will obviously only look good from one angle, or will need to go straight across the table to avoid having more than two surfaces to depict with fake perspective.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 11:46:37 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 12:15:51 AM »
 ;D :o :-* o_o

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 03:35:17 AM »
Great images, Dr Falkenhayn - it's also what freaks me out about building a Mega City table! I think you've got a good point, though, WC - the idea of a big central structure with roads radiating out from it at different levels is a good one. In fact, I love the idea of having at least one BIG road, elevated above the table, and the easiest way to do it might be to run it through a big central structure (or right beside it, with a slipway coming off it and leading into the building). The last week or so, I've been checking out the engineering of flyovers whenever I drive under one - not the safest way to drive!