Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:02:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: One of the grossest miniatures I've ever come across...  (Read 9600 times)

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
Re: One of the grossest miniatures I've ever come across...
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2010, 05:27:29 AM »
What is it with guys and squeamishness about female body parts anyway?  Okay, so it's not human, but why gross other than in a large way?

I agree it's beautiful and strange.  The creature, however alien, is serving a caring function, of humans in this case... but... not entirely useless to the Mythos:  http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=20326.msg291860#new

I dunno... to my mind female anatomy, even in it's minutia, is beautiful, and I tend to find those who find it grotesque to be quite alien, but to me this looks like the sculptor himself, whether he succeeded or not, was meaning for this to be received as grotesque.

I may not see it that way, but I can see that he was seeing that way, if you see what I mean.

And that "caring function" idea is a big WTF, since one of the women is manacled, and another is, in the sculptor own words, "fear stricken". I mean, you could say it cares for it's offspring, but aside from that it's obviously a rape monster.

I also agree with Anatoli Re: the oddly inconsistent quality of the sculpt.

I do agree though that it's anything but useless to the mythos. Lovecraft conspicuously avoided direct sexuality, but humans interbreeding with otherworldly beings and monsters, sometimes consensually, but far from always, is a strongly recurring theme. And even beyond that, there are a number of creatures in the mythos for whom Mengele-ish reproductive experiments would be quite plausibly in character.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
Re: One of the grossest miniatures I've ever come across...
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2010, 05:46:20 AM »
When I saw it, the first thing that came to mind is "that's why Forgeworld won't be doing Slaanesh models"...

lol lol I always thought GW kinda painted themselves into a corner with that. With the exception of Khorne all the major chaos gods have glaring conceptual issues when it comes to models. Nurgle squeaks by on account of having an actual symbolic visual motif, though it is grossly (ha!) misleading, but Slaanesh begs for models that would make everyone else at the table wonder WTF is wrong with you, and Tzeentch really shouldn't have any identifying symbols or minis of his own.