Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:19:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Otherworld Miniatures & Scale  (Read 7189 times)

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Otherworld Miniatures & Scale
« on: November 10, 2010, 08:07:42 PM »
Hi all,

I'm starting a fantasy project, and I want to use Otherworld miniatures as my main source of figures. However, for the human/hero factions I'm wondering at which manufacturer to go with. It all depends on what sort of "scale" Otherworld are and which ranges they'd fit with.

I'm tempted to buy the Otherworld zombies so I can see the basic human scale, but thought I'd ask here first. Are they slight like Perry miniatures or more chunky and large like Black Scorpion?

Any recommendations of whose ranges would go with them size wise would be great, as I can be a bit picky about mixing scales.  :)

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Otherworld Miniatures & Scale
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 08:29:25 PM »
This is what the owner had to say about the player character figures he uses on the Otherworld forum:

Quote from: Richard Scott
I only have a few Reaper character figures, maybe 5 or 6, and I don't usually use them for gaming - they're just too big! Most of my gaming character figures are mid-80s Citadel; AD&D range 3-stagers, LotR, C-series. I also use a few Grenadier figures and some Ral Partha stuff as well as some newer Hasslefree and Heresy minis.

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 08:48:42 PM »
I have a pack of the skeletons. They are 29mm to the eyes, standing bolt upright. They scale well with my Heresy Dark Lord and Hasslefree's Ceril. I have a Grenadier Fantasy Warriors Copplestone barbarian nearby too, and he looks fine with them.

They are not small like early Ral Partha or Julie Guthrie Grenadier figures, but fall sort of mid-way like Citadel, Heresy, Hasslefree and the old Metal Magic/Megaminis.

Due to the varying size of Reaper, they'd work with some of them - mainly the earlier sculpts. But avoid any of Bobby Jackson's pieces! They're HUGE! lol

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 09:28:06 PM »
They are on the slight end of the spectrum when compared to old Citadel stuff. I got an owlbear and a minotaur from OW recently and I'm pretty certain I'll sell the mino on as he's just felt too lithe compared to the vintage minotaurs from Citadel. A bit miffed there, to tell the truth. Cracking sculpts, splendid service and all - but at the price the mino really left me a bit underwhelmed. :?
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 09:37:54 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. Is that LotR as in the latest LotR range from GW, or am I being ignorant of some old LotR range?

I agree the pricing is a bit obscene, but in most cases they really are the best fantasy figs on the market.

That is, of the ones I've seen...

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 10:10:38 PM »
He means the original GW range from the 1980s rather than the current ones.

Offline Welf VIII.

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 12:46:40 AM »
Otherworld Miniatures work well with true 28mm - that is Old Citadel (although most of these are a wee bit smaller) and the current LotR by Games Workshop as well as Grenadier's Fantasy Warriors line, Metal Magic, Foundry Miniatures and Perry Miniatures. Although the latter seem to be on the smaller end of it. You can also use Red Box Games with these.

25mm and too small would be classic Grenadier (the American part) and Ral Partha. Too big would be most current Fantasy ranges including Reaper (well most of it), Games Workshop.

Here's a blurry picture showing Otherworld NPCs with classic Citadel miniatures:

And here is a picture showing various miniatures in scale:

Grenadier, Metal Magic, Citadel, Foundry, Perry, Reaper

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 03:43:45 PM »
 :o Are those wizard NPCs out yet?

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 03:56:16 PM »
Nice paintin Welf

Offline otherworld

• Librarian
    • Otherworld Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 07:32:06 PM »
Hi all,

I'm starting a fantasy project, and I want to use Otherworld miniatures as my main source of figures. However, for the human/hero factions I'm wondering at which manufacturer to go with. It all depends on what sort of "scale" Otherworld are and which ranges they'd fit with.

I'm tempted to buy the Otherworld zombies so I can see the basic human scale, but thought I'd ask here first. Are they slight like Perry miniatures or more chunky and large like Black Scorpion?

Any recommendations of whose ranges would go with them size wise would be great, as I can be a bit picky about mixing scales.  :)

Thanks for your interest in Otherworld Miniatures.  My figures are true 28mm (whatever that means).  I use a ratio of 1 foot of height to 5mm on the miniature.  If you're looking for character figures to fit in with my stuff, I would recommend Hasslefree, Red Box, or late 1980s Citadel.  Please drop me a line if you would like some samples.

As for pricing, I certainly don't consider the cost of Otherworld Miniatures to be obscene.  I charge a very fair price for a good quality product, in order to make my business viable so that I can continue producing new miniatures for many years to come.

Richard Scott
Otherworld Miniatures
Otherworld Miniatures Webstore - http://www.otherworldminiatures.co.uk

Offline otherworld

• Librarian
    • Otherworld Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 07:36:23 PM »
They are on the slight end of the spectrum when compared to old Citadel stuff. I got an owlbear and a minotaur from OW recently and I'm pretty certain I'll sell the mino on as he's just felt too lithe compared to the vintage minotaurs from Citadel. A bit miffed there, to tell the truth. Cracking sculpts, splendid service and all - but at the price the mino really left me a bit underwhelmed. :?

I have a very fair returns policy.  If you buy some of my figures, and when they arrive you don't like them, then send them right back.  In return, I'll send you some figures that I bought and didn't like.  I have plenty! 

But seriously, if you don't like your Minotaur, please return it for an exchange for something else, or a refund.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
I have a very fair returns policy.  If you buy some of my figures, and when they arrive you don't like them, then send them right back.  In return, I'll send you some figures that I bought and didn't like.  I have plenty! 

But seriously, if you don't like your Minotaur, please return it for an exchange for something else, or a refund.
No arguing that that indeed is a VERY decent policy. =) I'll be in touch through other channels. Cheers mate!

(And btw... will the Citadel ADD site return?)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 12:41:47 PM »
What can't I find the NPCs?

Are the vouchers still on offer?

Thanks

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 05:34:31 PM »
Not to sound like a fanboy, but I'm very happy with the service and the figures. They're great. I especially like the Bugbears, truly nasty guys they are!

As a US customer I've had no problems with shipping.

As far as scale, some of these creatures are large. I'll take the bugbears for example, they are hulking brutes, as they should be. Maybe I can get some pictures together. As far as the mule, from the adventurers range, he looks great, but feels a little small. Maybe he's a hobbits mule, not sure. Either way, I'm not too hung up with scale anyway. People are born big and small, a good mix of companies looks fine.

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 02:42:21 AM »
Welf, or anyone... the 2d miniature on the right - shirtless, with the hammer - a Citadel mini? Anyone know the name of it? Part number? If anyone has one they want to let go of?

One miniature is too many, and a thousand are not enough...