Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:50:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hull Model Railway Show  (Read 4567 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Hull Model Railway Show
« on: November 14, 2010, 10:10:42 PM »
Hi all, this Saturday, I went to the local model railway club's annual show - quite charming, and I went home with a big bag of cheap plasticard, and a flyer for custom laser cutting services which seems quite reasonable.

Also, I took 125 pictures which you can find in an album over on my Photobucket site:

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg236/Christian_S_1979/Conventions/Hull%20Model%20Railway%20Show%202010-11-13/

My favourite layouts:

Hope you like it! I was quite inspired to advance my long-term colonial railway modelling project by the show.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
Re: Hull Model Railway Show
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 05:59:35 AM »
Fantastic show and fabulous pics - thanks for posting! Very inspiring though...

Offline Capt. E.W. Brimmage

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 06:37:00 AM »
Wow! They look great. I like the 3rd picture, it looks like the railways I used to draw on the big roll of newsprint we had.

You wouldn't be interested in sharing your laser cutting findings would you? I have had a plan to have some M-113 style APC kits done for my Warhammer 40k army for a while now.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 09:45:09 AM »
You wouldn't be interested in sharing your laser cutting findings would you? I have had a plan to have some M-113 style APC kits done for my Warhammer 40k army for a while now.

I certainly planned on posting on it once I actually used their services, and for you, it might be cheaper overall to look for a supplier down under rather than having it shipped all the way from the UK.

Anyway, here's the link for anyone interested:

http://www.yorkmodelmaking.com/

The ready-made stuff they had at the show was excellent in crispness, and the self-adhesive shingles/roofing were amazing. Prices were not exactly cheap, but given the quality not totally unreasonable. I'm thinking of getting parts for a 1/56 scale LVTP-5 done, but need to fire up my vector graphic skills first (and get an exporting plugin for Inkscape) before I try that. Cost apparently depends on the material used and the complexity and size of the original art they base it on - if you can provide a vector graphic plan to their specifications and go for cardboard or thin MDF, it probably won't cost an arm and a leg.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 05:11:46 PM »
Some great looking scenics there, and thanks for the link to the company in Stockton-on-the-Forest.  :)
My problem is, railway scales have always confused me 'O', 'OO' etc.  :? What's all that about?
Is there any way of finding out what is the nearest equivalent scale to 28mm?

I'll have to try to keep an eye out for that show next year - whereabouts in Hull was it held? Very local to me.

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 05:17:13 PM »
Some great looking scenics there, and thanks for the link to the company in Stockton-on-the-Forest.  :)
My problem is, railway scales have always confused me 'O', 'OO' etc.  :? What's all that about?
Is there any way of finding out what is the nearest equivalent scale to 28mm?

I'll have to try to keep an eye out for that show next year - whereabouts in Hull was it held? Very local to me.

Please check the Railway Wargaming board, there are several threads which should contain info on it. Basically, the UK is focused on 00, which is about 1/76, 0, which is standard gauge material in ~1/43-1/50 scale, and 0n30, which is narrow gauge in ~1/50, but using 00 gauge tracks. The latter two are usable for 28mm, but especially 0 will be quite large considering the material. Some people prefer the US S gauge, which is about 1/64, which I consider too small, although it might work for "scenery" at a pinch.

Offline Capt. E.W. Brimmage

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 12:38:21 AM »
I certainly planned on posting on it once I actually used their services, and for you, it might be cheaper overall to look for a supplier down under rather than having it shipped all the way from the UK.

Anyway, here's the link for anyone interested:

http://www.yorkmodelmaking.com/

The ready-made stuff they had at the show was excellent in crispness, and the self-adhesive shingles/roofing were amazing. Prices were not exactly cheap, but given the quality not totally unreasonable. I'm thinking of getting parts for a 1/56 scale LVTP-5 done, but need to fire up my vector graphic skills first (and get an exporting plugin for Inkscape) before I try that. Cost apparently depends on the material used and the complexity and size of the original art they base it on - if you can provide a vector graphic plan to their specifications and go for cardboard or thin MDF, it probably won't cost an arm and a leg.

I had intended on getting it done by an Australian company, but I was more interested in your general findings regarding cost, the complexity possible, etc. I've got a mate that does a lot of 3d work, so if I give him drafts (or is it always draughts in British English?) he should be able to do some vector images for me. Sorry for hijacking the thread  and thanks for the tips I look forward to seeing your LVT thread

Back onto the topic though, that light railway is fabulous!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 12:52:48 AM by Capt. E.W. Brimmage »

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 04:33:20 PM »
Please check the Railway Wargaming board, there are several threads which should contain info on it. Basically, the UK is focused on 00, which is about 1/76, 0, which is standard gauge material in ~1/43-1/50 scale, and 0n30, which is narrow gauge in ~1/50, but using 00 gauge tracks. The latter two are usable for 28mm, but especially 0 will be quite large considering the material. Some people prefer the US S gauge, which is about 1/64, which I consider too small, although it might work for "scenery" at a pinch.

Thanks, that's helpful  :)

I've tried asking model railway enthusiasts about scales in the past, but they've always just looked blank, as if, "you picks yer rscale and sticks with it" and trying to fit in with wargames stuff is madness.